Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

How the Ask an Immortal forum works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: How the Ask an Immortal forum works

Since we have a "bug" debate I figured today was a good time to add some extra board code to make reporting the bugs easy. Having looked around some other places on the net I found a pretty common idea (even AR log boards have used it), and went about looking for something to add to our forum along the same lines.

So... without further ado, allow me to introduce "validated" posting..

Now you are thinking "but wait, we could have had five new spells from Aff Module A in the time it took you to make this, why did you bother with that?" ...right? Well, I guess that's just me actually, being the programming type, anything I can do to make squishing bugs easier for me is better for all of us than a couple new skills.

You can use this forum to:
* questions
* submit BUGS (I will reply when they've been fixed)
* submit SUGGESTIONS in a low-key fashion (only Imms will see)
* complain? Instead of the ineffective complaint notes.
* anything else you find useful for it

Its effectively an off-mud version of our pray channel. Everyone can see replies from Immortals, so it may be more useful in that regard. Keep in mind though, phpBB is full of security holes, so I don't think its good to bother using it for anything too sensitive.

0 0 0
Dahlin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject:

Heh, couldn't find that test post. I was just looking at the newest topic in the ask an immortal forum, and it doesn't seem right to me that in the list of topics it says "this topic is awaiting validation" while in the recent posts list it says the actual topic.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

I will later hide it, but I'll be leaving it as is for the time being so that more people get chance to see this post and become aware of the way its working. After 2-3 hours of work to get it running properly, I'd like to make sure its actually known about.

I hate that recent posts thing, btw.

0 0 0
Kessor Natul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Well usually you can't really find a bug or loophole unless you've either a) done it yourself, or b) seen it, so it's expected that you'll use it once or twice trying to figure out what exactly is going on. The difference between "exploring/finding" a loophole and "exploiting" a loophole is pretty blatant though. If you find a loophole that allows you to get 100k gold every 30 seconds for example, then once you're seen to have 10 million gold and you're "caught" you decide to say "oh yeah, I was gonna report that but I forgot," you probably won't get as much leniency as if you report the bug after trying it 2-3 times.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Here's some of what you stand to gain by publically announcing you're withholding bugs...

* having the Imms "suspicions" placed on you
* suffering resultant paranoia caused by knowledge of aforementioned suspicions
* feeling of "walking on egg shells" with the Imms all the time
* worsening general relations between Imms and players, promoting an "us vs them" mentality that turns people off the game/forum/etc

Davairus wrote:
Sep 18 15:43:11 2003
To: immortal
This ip is banned because the guy from it is claiming he is exploiting
bugs and has no plans to say what they are. The chat regulars say he is
playing a monk. So um i'll start with monks.

These aren't public announcements so I wouldn't consider a ban offense to admit to with-holding some, but its obviously not going to do you any favours.

Meanwhile, here's what you'll gain by reporting bugs:

* reasonable justification for using the "bug" until its been fixed
* also, good karma later for being a "bug reporter"
* eventual removal of unbalanced "exploit", to everyone else's benefit

You draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by Davairus on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: