Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

Old new, new again, whatever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pops

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Old new, new again, whatever

Alright, I started playing AR a long long time ago, like a lotta people here. Its been a couple (few?) years since I last had an active character, but I recently decided to give it a shot again. There's nothing that compares to the Mudding experience, and for me there's no MUD which compares to this one. I'm glad to be back, and a little sad at the continuing decline of the player base. Hopefully someday all those MMO players out there will wake up and start looking for something a little deeper. There will never be a Deiminos on World of Warcraft. It's just like books and movies. I have a lot of real life concerns to deal with, so I wont be able to stick around for hours on end (like I did previously), but I am definately back for the long haul. I'd like to do my part to keep this world going. There is no other like it.

The place has changed a lot, Combat styles, new quests, monster potions, no cake mobs for ranking to your pinnacle, pets, weapon ward, yadda yadda yadda. I love the added depth that pk'ing has now, but I worry it has come at a pretty high cost. AR has always been tough, but getting back into it (never mind starting fresh) you sort of feel like a guppy in a pond full of sharks. The "steep learning curve" which helped hook me from the begining seems to have turned into something resembling a solid brick wall covered in barbed wire and severed limbs. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fanatical skill level of the remaining players though.

The quests are great. Well thought out, entertaining, usefull, and informative. They provide about as much Newb help as I think you could possibly provide without actual player interaction. My biggest gripe is the loss of roleplaying (which is bound to happen when there are hardly any players to interact with). Every once and a while the game starts to feel a little like a massively interactive, textual version of Halo. I miss the emotion. Ah well.

Just in case anyone cares, here's a short list of characters I've had that I've fond memories of.

Kashodanon (first high level, 45 storm healer owned by Resatimm a couple times, you can still see it on AR shit I think)

Jerouniset (50 slith warrior Herald. Had a funny manic stoner lizard RP. Rage deleted at some point like a retard.)

Nephit (50 human healer He was probably the most fun. Being an OUTLAW and getting raped by JUSTICE (well, mostly Deiminos) constantly. Lost purpose after Deiminos finally died, went nuts for a while and then deleted)

There were a few others in there... anyway, hello again.

Pops

0 0 0
Groq
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject:

WASSSSAP, dunno if you remember me or what not had a few chars.. Hampmedle was way back with lourn and co. Lothilakon.. a bunch of other chars in cabals. Groq who's now imm'd and such. Glad to have you back.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject:

Welcome back. Old and new faces are always nice to see.

The learning curve can be very steep, your comparison to a wall is pretty accurate actually. However I think if you take the time and put forth the effort to learn, once you've got the basics down things get a lot easier and the playing field evens. Skill does a lot but there's nothing like timing, patience and luck. Anyway stick with it and good luck.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject:

Obviously, I was Kento, uber n00b ninja a few years back, so much fun.

Either way

Welcome back, Pops! I remember you from the old Forum.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject:

Welcome home Pops. Don't get too discouraged about the new stuff you have to learn. While there are still some lowbie pkers around, a lot of the older people take it easy on struggling guys and don't mind helping out. Although the prospect of getting killed at any level keeps you always looking over your shoulder, and that's part of the fun.

Glad to have you back. Good luck!

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:

Obviously if you compare this game to something like WOW it looks like it has a steep learning curve, but in its genre it certainly is not. You get a vast amount of helpfiles, intuitive interface (just type neanderthal), detailed mudschool and quests, and lots more free recalls after level 10. Keep in mind that most these guys playing are just as bad as they've always been, since they aren't actually trying to improve, other than the improvement that comes with just being more familiar with the game than you are. Most people you can easily outperform if you set your mind to it. If that is important to you.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Please tell me that someone else actually typed neanderthal into their game screen...
()_()

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject:

I did....

0 0 0
Garion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I did... XD

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject:

See what I mean. People this dense manage to play.

0 0 0
Groq
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:

And Davairus is king of us all! Hahahaha king of the Neanderthals! Love you Dav!

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: