Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 5 hours.

How to reference real-world time measurements while IC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: How to reference real-world time measurements while IC

A few nights ago I was grouped with someone I'd never ranked with before, and then the next night I saw them online again. I wanted to thank them for their good leading/tanking skills the night before, but didn't want to refer to "last night", since that would be talking OOC.

What are some suggestions on how to refer to real-world time events (yesterday, last night, a week ago, yadda yadda) while in-game, without having to convert Thera time to real-word time?

Thanks,
Iolo

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject:

What I try to do is avoid referencing time at all. "I noticed you were a great leader when last we grouped." When talking about the past, this is pretty easy, just reference events rather than time. When you're talking about the future, speaking in times of guild rewards and surges is probably the best you can do, or just do a quick 1 minute =2 hrs conversion in your head. So lets say you wanted to group with someone tomorrow at the same timeish you could say something like 'Will I see you in half a surge cycle?" Or something like that. It still kind of is ooc, but this time issue thing is really small on the grand scale of things imho. You can have really good rp and still mention 'tomorrow'. The theran time beyond a few hours and the greater 'surge' cycles seems kind of difficult to convert. I've never really got the hang of it...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject:

Besides that, you'd have to overcome the problem of people disagreeing with your time measurements. For instance, if mico is moving respect to you with velocity approaching c, he will argue that your so-called "OOC simultaneous logging in" actually occured at completely different times. And in fact he has already tried this once or twice. Who is to say who is right or wrong? The future always depends on where you are starting your journey into it from as well. I like to avoid this conundrum by just not allowing any references to time. At all. Damnit.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject:

Dav, you totally lost me there except for the conclusion.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject:

Laughing

0 0 0
Groq
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject:

Anal beads ftw!

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject:

I always thought that we just converted it into Elven Time ,, Ill see you in three Elven Hours = Three earth hours

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: