Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Recovering the Lost Arcane Relics" is underway, and ends in 3 days, 12 hours.

Newbie character q

View previous topic :: View next topic  
firin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Newbie character q

All

I'm new to AR - I haven't played a MUD too seriously in a while, but am familiar with Diku and with similar char creation/building systems. I anticipate PK deaths but I'm usually a quick study.

Problem is I usually go for elf/paladin, or elf/mage. I get the sense reading your help files that this is strongly discouraged. Looking for any input on viability before I spend a few hours rolling.

Thoughts gladly appreciated.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Well, rolling was eliminated (thank god) so character creation isnt a hassle anymore, you can create and test out your characters at low levels easily. as far as your choice goes... elf paladin isnt a terrible choice for a first. our good aligned community is pretty awesome/helpful. if you have mud experience than even trying a mage as a first isnt a terrible idea either. its just not recommended for first timers because our mage classes are slightly more complex than the fighter type classes

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

I'd go human for your first - the experience penalty of elf not only makes leveling take longer, but also means you'd have higher level people able to attack you. But really, pick whatever you want!

0 0 0
firin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your quick replies. I'll give something a go here when I free up today.

@Tayyah, my assumption when I saw the initial stats rolls was that this was one of those write a script & forget type of systems. Not having much luck finding anything searching the Updates forum - please advise as to how rolling was changed. Much obliged for the heads up there....

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to AR!

One of the reasons elf is discouraged is their high xp penalty, which means that the higher rank you get, you will have people of higher ranks in your pk range. So if you are rank 45, you may have a rank 50 in pk range. Maximum is 8 level difference. So it can be kind of harsh if you aren't used to the realms and combat. I am, however, a proponent of playing whatever your heart desires, because that's the whole point of options.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to our community!

I have to echo what has been said about playing an elf first, particularly an elf paladin. Very tough combo to play for your first time here.

If you like the idea of a mage, I suggest a Human Invoker. They're great for exploring the lands, have a myriad of fun spells, and you'll have lots of characters wanting to hang out with you thanks to your Enchant Weapon spell Banana

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Welcome Firin! You could always try a half-elf. They have an increased learning rate (improve skills/spells faster than other races) and some racial legacies!

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Welcome indeed. Kalist brings up a good point, Half-elf is actually a good starter class as well as human. Racial Legacies are kinda neat, can look at the helpfile to check them out. I often check them out to try out a new combo if I don't know what i feel like playing.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Where did you get this info about elf being discouraged?

0 0 0
firin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Just reading the stickies and reviewing documentation on the site about xp penalties. Wound up going elf invoker at any rate, that int and the RP opportunity was too juicy to pass up. Mildly curious about how elf physicals will wind up interacting with defensive skills.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

defensive skills tend to be joined between two stats. One is a physical the other is a mental...

I was told parry is str and int, dodge was dex and int and shield block is wis and con. I had an elf warrior once, and I used to go around with two swords, dance of silver leaves and dual parrying all day long.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Gar. Now I really want to roll and elf warrior but ain't nobody got time for that shit.

Also, welcome. We're an odd bunch here. But then again I think any community of mudders is these days. Have fun and make sure you advocate for thiefy hellstream.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject:

thought I might mention our "surge" our website has the timer, and its also in game, on the "time" command, and that is double exp, double gold, and a higher % chance of skill increase for 2 hours every 42 hours

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: