Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 6 hours.

a new tripwire skill for thieves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: a new tripwire skill for thieves

As you'll see when you place your tripwire, this is now a focused ability (like monk healing) with an important difference. Getting caught placing traps is flaggable so be careful the authorities do not see you. I didn't make city guards inform the Justices they've spotted mischief but count on them yelling out at some point.

The tripwire stays at its location for about six minutes and the thief can make a new one every 1-2 (which does not erase the old one), and importantly the thief does not have to be present at the scene to trigger it. Allowing one to set a nasty trap for their prey to run through.

The trigger for tripwire happens when somebody walks OUT of its room. There is a pk range check, and then a skill check. If both of these conditions are met, then the wire will lag everybody in the targets group, including pets. The amount of lag this deals at the moment is jacked up, and it is not affected by diminishing returns, so if you have a thief, make the most of it.

Tripwires are hidden.. if you can see it, you can attack and break it before it trips you up. That is the only reprieve for the time being. I did not make it flying exempt. you basically need detect hidden or faerie fog / some sort of AOE to find and get rid of this

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject:

So, lets see the 5+ thieves that are gonna be made in the next few days.

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject:

not sure if this is a jab at the playerbase numbers or a jab at people who want to try new features in a game thats been around for 20 years

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject:

I don't think this will spur people to roll up thieves but I do think it will mean the next competent player to roll one up will rape face.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

You guys sound a little cynical. I must be rubbing off well.

The fact you get tripwired when you EXIT the room allows the thief to set up tripwire while you are snoozing from blackjack. So you take dual backstab, and at that point if you don't instant-flee from wimpy, that thief is guaranteed to be able to follow up and attack due to you eating tripwire. Places like guild entrances will make it easy to setup several tripwires in a row and slaughter the guy as he leaves, meaning that if you stay somewhere for too long without paying attention, you should expect to walk into an excellent ambush.

Disclaimer: The skill % of tripwire does actually play a very significant role (no pun intended) in its success chance.

N.B. I also made flying characters immune to tripwire. There's still no guarantee of safety with that, since the thief can still try plague you to the ground with their "drug other" skill, or whatever else they think of. Maybe there are plague potions you can throw at people. Point is just to add a little more depth with that update. I have no plans for us to have "air tripwire". That is dumb and unnecessary at this point.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

This sounds really, really strong. Going to be interesting to see it get used

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it might be a cheese, but looking at it objectively I don't really see as it should work differently than it currently does. Maybe we'll make tripwire require a direction input (e.g. you run it from east to west) and then the trap fails much more easilly if there are several stacked in the same room. so that way it depends on more careful placement and the guy who fled might try to zig zag to get away, and try not to run into an obvious trap where it isn't safe to do so. This'd still let us setup some nice eastern road ambushes on east spammers. I don't have time to make that happen right now but its in the backpocket if we want.

plus after doing that it naturally follows to have thief classes able to do a specialized flee <dir> while others cant. True master of escape. It naturally also follows for thief to generally be able to do a little more with their non-skill commands than others can do, so we could look for more opportunities. It is nice to give things a direction

It'd be great if some lowbie imms could test it a little to be on the safe side. I have been thinking of a couple edge cases, like for example, this shouldnt be available underwater

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

I've changed this into an entangle effect, instead of a stun affect. Being entangled prevents you from fleeing or other physical-based movement, but allows you to fight back. So it isn't so much of a roflstomp. On the other hand, mobs are entangled for a lot longer, so a thief is a good foil to a necromancer / illusionist.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: