Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 16 hours, 59 mins.

Are you making a memorable character?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Are you making a memorable character?

Hey guys,

Without going into gory details, I recently decided to look into a few characters to see if I remember your guys. Considering that there isn't a big playerbase to begin with you would think standing out would be easy.

I may be out of touch, but after picking on a few guys (who I won't name), I find the guy has made over 50 characters and I don't really recognize any of them. There were some caballeds who I don't recognize either and really, I don't know what you say to that. Could be me? But that is surprising, I wonder are we doing enough to have memorable characters.

No pointing of fingers at all, I guess the question is just this, what can we do to make our characters more memorable then they are? The logboard helps quite a lot in this regard I suppose.

0 0 0
ramod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

I think people are deleting really early these days before their characters can become memorable. I think people start off thinking to make a memorable character but most of the people that are capable of that these days are veterans. Soon as they realize their hps aren't as high as it could be, or they lose a couple of con points from dieing they rather just delete then suffer the permanent damage.

It is also quite easy to solo rank or rank during surge times to quickly get another level 50 player. Don't get me wrong that's great, but the other side of that is people don't really care if they delete that 50 hour player, then can just make another one in a week.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Was Libera memorable? Or perhaps Moira was.... who knows.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I like to think I have been making memorable characters... Kurlson, Rondak, Balan... The one I am playing now... lol

0 0 0
Trojal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I have never made a memorable character.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

As Lorne said, its nice to be able to rank quickly...but, you can power rank to 50 in 11 hours or whatever...that is one of the factors to why people delete. They know they can potentially have another 50 in the next day or two. I really do not believe the con loss from dying is a deleting factor. There is way too many items that add to con. You can gamble some really nice +4 con stuff that also give some additional positive stats. +con items are too easy to get...and for the "loss" of one slot to add +4con and whatever attributes, makes me feel that con loss is not a big factor in deleting. People delete because they give up on that char and want a fresh start. Most people don't give there char a chance to become memorable.

2 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject:

For me personally, I know mine aren't when I don't put any thought into the character before creation. I just make a random race/class combo and after I hit 50 or near it, I realize I put no effort into throwing in some RP of sorts. I think that branches off of how easy it is to level, like everyone else said. But as of late, I have only been doing it to test the random classes since coming back. I just want to figure out the little changes and such I can't figure out by simply looking at them on the webpage/updates.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject:

Was I one of those people?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject:

The most fun I've had in AR was spent playing characters that were memorable to nobody but me.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject:

Yes if you want that then you're fine, but I think there are people who are trying to get into the halls of exalted, which requires becoming memorable. So there's also that. I dont want it to be just an old boys club and it would be nice to put more characters in than we do.

1 0 0
ewils03

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject:

The ability to rank up shouldn't be a factor in making a memorable character or not, I always have enjoyed surge times and the system with pets and mercs making up for exp when you're solo ranking. It's just that people haven't kept the character and RP going.. I'd like to think Argarak and Myri are memorable, but they were only around for a few months (mistake on my part, I had so much fun with both of those and I believe most of you did, too). I suggest doing something a little different with a character, shake up the RP, invest the time and mold a cabal to your vision, work towards a global war and create a new age. The sky's the limit, after all.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Would we consider allowing world events to shape the realms more? Like, maybe have some history shake ups. Something to give more of a permanent feel. In many ways, I feel like the cabals and cities and areas are so static that it is an endless slew of Knights and Legions and Justices etc. and that in the end most of them are completely interchangeable. Maybe some kind of rewards for higher level roleplay, additional rewards for being considered exceptional, or getting into the halls of the exalted.

I have said it before and I will say it again that the super easy ranking makes me personally feel like there are lots of throwaway characters and that my own characters are somewhat less valuable. I do wish we would consider doing Something to make ranking from 40-50 more difficult again, so that there is a gauntlet and you have to WORK and feel accomplished when you get to 50.

Maybe it's just the fact that you don't feel like it's a major victory when you get to fifty anymore. This definitely affects me.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

We can certainly support world shaping events. Sometimes we plan things, other times we run wild with a character's RP. Things like Mkatos and chaos dragon or Gaelyn / sister and that whole betrayer of Valour thing both stemmed from players stepping up their RP to the point that imms dropped their building/bugfixes whatever and dove in alongside them.

1 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Hands down the most intense thing to happen based upon player driven things in the last 10 years.

Maybe the next people to do something like that will result in a city being destroyed, or a change in the cabal schemes etc. I will acknowledge that I went into it thinking that something like that would never have been possible. In retrospect, I can see that you guys were extremely open minded in the end, and it probably could've been ran with more. I think expecting that it would not result in major changes is part of why all of the 'wars' and mine in particular lost their luster.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: