Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

Parry for Monks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject:

They only get two attacks while wielding weapons. Why bone their defenses too? Seems excessive. And just doesn't make sense.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject:

I've already considered the monk weapon fighting. The monk weapon attacks would be following the same style of attacking as their regular kung fu attacks. Thats all I got

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

in all my fights with Hanh I never once thought damn I would have won this fight is I was wielding a vorpal sword. If I can parry with a sword, but I don't have second and third attack then whats the point. My only change to monks would be to work in forms for warlords, that would be sweet. other than that monks are fine.

1 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

Ok.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Ok I read more of your background posts and I understand where you are coming from but to give monks parry really wouldn't make much of a difference. The idea is they can learn these weapons so they can survive a fight not use them. We have all seen movies where they uses staffs swords and spears, but mainly the movie comes down to hand to hand combat.

Where I agree with you 100% is the combat styles are not created equally and in my opinion need more balance. My goal with hanh was to bump up my armor class which got to 350 360 and just use crane style. Crane kick is such a game changer regardless of what weapon or combat style the melee fighter is in. I never ever used panda because it just didn't work well in combat situations. if they bumped the damage reduction to mirror leopard or even crane on every stance, you would definitely see more people switch stances. But for now keep it simple and use crane if your equipment is better than your opponents.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

sorry to add on to the last post when I tried other stances like mantis for slash damage against an ill illusionist it was laughable. I saw vaakuur did pretty well with monkey so many crane for fighters and monkey for mages. Other than that I can't see a reason to use other stances.

0 0 0
ewils03

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Well, yes, switching stances does give a special attribute, but it only lasts a couple of rounds. If you don't get a kick or a form strike, it's gone, so you basically need to wear down the invoker's mana. That crane kick is a great kick, but don't forget about snake's and it making the opponent sluggish; very handy against rogues and quick fighters. Of course, you're opening yourself up while in offensive, but dip out and heal. Monks have a big arsenal, but I agree, panda pretty much sucks. With the damage you take in panda, you might as well be in mantis (which I believe is also a style hardly used).

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject:

So the underlying problem here is that some players think the two-handed monk stances are underwhelming? Remind me which are two handed and let's continue the discussion from there. I remember Dav had a hard on for something about mantis style.

0 0 0
ewils03

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Mantis and Panda are the two-handed styles. Maybe the problems Dav was having with mantis is the idea of hitting weak points, but it just really doesn't even hit too well overall. Dragon (dual wield) is also rarely used; its weak breath needs to have fully charged offensive chii and eats up all of it and why use dragon when there's tiger (also dual wield and I think works just fine; deals some good damage while also taking a bit more, and its exploding palm is nice against healers/shamans)

0 0 0
Meriando
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Snake is the other two handed style which has the slow kick to help against heavy hitters. Also the special kick from mantis has a potential to do a lot of damage, thought random is random.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Part of what I noticed myself, was if you don't land a physical attack, you don't preform the 'form of whatever' thing to lengthen the active of the stance. So, with barrier active you can't hit them, till they run out of mana. Which they can run and recover via slowing them with mana shield. It would be nicer if you could preform the forms even if you can't physically hit them, because you know there are mobs that are immune to magic and some that are immune to physical, mudfall has an example of both.

But also yes, the 2-handed styles are underwhelming a bit, snake is nice, but not really worth the kick/chance to hit through dodge.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject:

Monks not having parry on weapons is arbitrary and not easily discoverable. If a player has a reasonable expectation of a skill working, they are well within their right to be pissed off if it doesn't work when they try to rely on it.

If monks weren't supposed to wield weapons they wouldn't have weapon skills.

That is not to say we should give monks parry with staffs, because that might be OP or whatever. But I completely see why Forgotten got pissed when Olyn asked him why he's wielding weapons with a monk. Because the kit has weapon skills and that indicates to the player that they have the skill to wield weapons. Telling him he should know better is clearly and obviously counterproductive.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject:

I figured they had the weapon skills for easier disarm or whatever. Thought weapon knowledge made it easier to do that.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject:

Yeah, that is basically why they originally had them. And because knowing the weapon helps you parry it too or something. All I'm saying is that is completely reasonable to believe a monk would be effective at wielding a staff.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject:

Thus thread got really long. I've inky read like 5% of it. But why do monks not have weapon parry? Did someone already answer that? I think the burden of proof should be why it has been denied them, not why they should have it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

Monks can't parry with staffs because they don't have the parry skill. Its not from some genius attempt to solve problems with monk weapons or anything. They just don't have the parry skill - and they never did!

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:

So to continue this ridiculous thread: if monks are wielding a one-handed weapon, that means they have one hand free. They should be able to parry with that one hand, right?

0 0 0
Oxyl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:

I'd say no. Monks AREN'T SUPPOSED to use weapons. So if they're breaking their lore by using one they should be penalized by needing to hold their balls (or equivalent) with their free hand.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject:

Don't think of it like holding balls, Think of it like, I just wrapped my wrist to force it to remain straight and deal more damage.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: