Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 6 hours.

Sanctuary
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Reviving this- Dav, I like this idea. Reduce sanctuary effectiveness, increase armor items (and making ac spells more important). Other people's thoughts?

0 0 0
Multore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

If you do that you could also expand armor types and restrict by classes:

heavy, light, padded, leather, cloth, etc

Maybe drop the total benefit by a percentage as you go farther off your preferred class based armor type(s).

Could expand equipment quite a bit if this style was implemented making more items/sets geared towards specific niches. A cloth set that boosts mana for example targeting casters...

Another option would be to allow damage mitigation as you climb up the armor classifications. On this note, various weapons do better against certain types of armor too. Crushing weapons against plate, piercing verse chain/ring mail and slashing against cloth/leather, etc.

cloth = none
leather = very little
chain = some
plate = more

Lots of options for realistic based equipment improvements.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I do not like the idea of restricting armor by class. Monks are a notable exception. Heavy armor having increased effectiveness on paladins and dark knights is fine too.

But once you start restricting armor types to classes then equipping starts feeling artificially constrained. Mage classes should wear mage gear because that's what works best for them. Not because they're restricted to cloth armor or something stupid like that.

But you can still wear titanium tenor on a mage and I think that's cool.

1 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

What I do think we should make sure in designing gear is that, in general, heavier gear should have higher ACs. And to make sure weight makes sense.

If you were to graph out every race's strength against their int/wis, you'd notice a pretty heavy inverse correlation. That would mean mages in general shouldn't be wearing heavy armor anyways simply because mages tend to be lower strength races. However, if you want to make a mage or cleric with high strength, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to wear heavy armor.

Similarly there's a strong inverse correlation between str and dex, which means rogues are already less likely to wear heavy armor. That makes sense, but I don't like the idea that a duergar thief shouldn't be able to wear heavy gear.

In short, strength should be the only determinant to whether or not you can wear heavy armor. If you've got the strength to wear it, you should be able to wear it.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject:

All armor was screened for weight-appropriate AC fairly recently, if you are able to find one that isn't, please report it as a bug.

Armor restriction is appropriate for some classes, but I agree, Divsky, I like that you can go battle-mage if you want to.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

I think armor weight should impact ability to sneak, if it doesn't already.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject:

I don't like the idea of decreasing sanctuary effectiveness. That's going to mess with all the damage output of every class, that's super gross. If something needs to be changed there make stance the same as sanc. Armor and A/C already does have a large impact on your ability to survive.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject:

I mean unless everybody is for it, it might be kind of cool to just say "fuck it" and make all damage more effective so everyone dies a lot more, I guess. We could handle it if everyone wanted to. That's going to make duels shorter and less impressive though, and fights will have fewer combat rounds. Healers and shamans would get hit hard. Maybe warriors. Illusionists and Necromancers would shoot back up into OP land

there's a lot of impact to that decision

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see sanctuary remain the same.

I'd have to think a bit more about tenacity becoming as good as sanc, but it's probably okay. The main issue is it that it can't be dispelled. I do think that the other limitations of stance make up for that it though.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject:

What other limitations are you referring to olyn? That tenacity drop as soon as you sleep?

Tenacity as strong as sanc while it cant be dispelled especially now that defenders are harder to obtain seems like a huge deal to me...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

Tenacity is not as strong as sanc. You'd know if you play a Warlord. Because your fire giant buddy with sanc can tank better then you.

There are a few limitations with tenacity, but we shouldn't be discussing cabal powers in open forum.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

you read that wrong lorne, they are talking ABOUT making tenacity as strong as sanc, not that it is as strong as sanc

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Oh my bad, you're right.

I don't think its fair if tenacity is as strong as sanc. Just because the Warlord can do it whenever they want. Don't need any potions, can't be dispelled. Can be reapplied to gain a new duration of it.

Perhaps a good medium is to make it slighter stronger then it is, but still weaker then sanc and have the mana cost be abit lower so it can be applied more often.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject:

Oh shit Lorne's whacking noobs on the forums already.

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

It's funny that usually a meta spell for clerics is a must have for pretty much anything to do with PK or PvE. Kinda makes it irrelevant if you are a cleric type or not. I'd say scrap that whole spell, it makes ZERO sense. Rewrite it so only paladins-healers have it and make it into a short-lasting immunity or something like the name claims.

It's immersion-breaking imo.

0 1
boo,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: