Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 8 hours.

[2019 Q4] rework the damn Ford

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: [2019 Q4] rework the damn Ford

Ford is pretty awful. So many rooms with similar names in a wide open field of bleh.

Justice should absolutely be based inside of a town. It literally makes no sense otherwise. Like a race boat shop in the middle of the Sahara. I say that without research, there probably is one....

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject:

The ford is perfect for losing newbs in pvp and draining the crap out of people's moves.

1 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject:

I've always hated the maze on the way to the High Tower of Sorcery.

1 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject:

Vanisse wrote:
I wouldn't mind getting more feedback about Tenebria. Is anyone using it for ranking as we originally intended? Layout-wise, Tenebria is far simpler than Moria was and there are no map inconsistencies in it.

My char ranked in there, and I don't find Tenebria confusing. The sewers are complex, I took a learn it or lump it mindset toward that. I've seen a few cut-off rooms dotted a cross Serin that look to be spots for new areas to be connected to. I feel unqualified to comment about The Ford. Don't have a thought this-way-or-that over it.

Ceridwel wrote:
I've always hated the maze on the way to the High Tower of Sorcery.

I hate that maze on a return from the Murmuring Mists, en route toward the Mystic Forest. ..then I remember the secret room at the very top of HToS. It's not so bad, just move around and spam 'scan' until you see the emaciated adventurer.

tayyah wrote:
...haha shit I can't remember the name of the town with the claymores...

"...Claire! NO!! Stop!"

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Yes you can spam for the adventurer so there's a solution there. Its fun to actually get through, and its a place to hide from illusionists (bit of irony there I guess)

It seems like its only the ford that is even debatably any sort of sore spot at this point? I am surprised. I thought people would say ranking was way too hard etc.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject:

being able to go from 1 - 50 in less than 8 hours is not hard ranking, I would slap someone for saying ranking is hard

2 0 0
Blyx Foulwing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject:

When I was playing I expressed some of my concerns to the Myth Weaver about the general layout of the map being too vertical. And while Solace is a well-built area to me, and even though it was rebuilt on its own ruins, it is just in a horrible spot. It is roughly the same distance found between Seringale and Timaran. Geographically it makes no sense to have 3 cities in close vicinity. You need a loop like Valour to Seringale , but in the North. Like passed the sealed gates of Scheherazade, beyond the mountain. But I've got a biased vision of how things should be, when it comes to building. That is the construction in my blood. Others rightfully feel Solace is fine where it is. I just don't.

0 0 0
Blyx Foulwing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Too horizontal... not vertical. You know what I meant.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

I suppose I can weigh in a bit on this one, mainly on what was already discussed.

THE FORD:
I totally agree this area is a bit ridiculous to try and PK in. Same room names/desc through most of the area. Helps people that need to run a bit to heal up a bit, but hurts people that need to keep things close quarters. Its one thing if you need to move 10 rooms to kill someone, but if you need to move 10 rooms with the same name it's a bit frustrating.

ZODIAC ISLAND:
My assumption when this came out is you wanted feedback on it, but we didn't give it back. It is relatively simple. I don't think it so much the damage the mobs do, but the fact they only do one attack per round. So even if you have a solid group of mobs, the one attack per round makes it pretty simple. However, the gear isn't so amazing that making it even more tough would make it any bit more worthwhile, so I, personally, think it's fine how it is, unless you want to upgrade the gear a bit.

SEWERS:
Sewers are fine for all vet players. For a newbie though, I can see the frustration. If they stuck to the quest system, it might help them out a bit though. The one where you have to run recalls to all the mobs is pretty helpful, especially with the tracking system now which doesn't get nearly as much respect as it deserves.

TENEBRIA:
I love this area. Thoroughly. Good job. If it's confusing to people, just go through it a few times and figure it out. If you need to grab the mask and such at a lower level go for it. Perhaps a more direct way telling people they will be attacked unless they dress up accordingly will help. There are so many "little things" that make this place so great. If people haven't gone through it, found the secrets and such, I suggest doing it. I haven't been able to play much, so I'm pretty curious on the leveling aspect.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject:

north of timaran a moss covered path
north of foul crows the whole forest is the same name
darkshytre large wooded path
the ford and sewers always were annoying for me

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject:

We'd probably want to make the ford a bit more similar to the orc mountains, with a river fast lane to get through it for people who just want to zip through. Does that sound reasonable? Let me know

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

What about the Ford being an entry for the next end game area? If we threw something like a mountain in the middle and built down into a duergar-ish area? Then the same room spam could turn into something like "North of BLAH Mountain, South/East/West/ and so on?

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I think things are good where they're at.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad that someone likes it. It just sounds like the negatives outweigh the positives and there's been a push for any updates for a very long time. Like I was saying I think we'll just make it feel more mountainous like the orc mountains and have a river that winds through it. you guys can still have shitty duels in ford just without this "needle in a haystack" part

eeeeeee
ssssssss
nnnnnnn
heal heal
ssssssss
sleep

Mikoos, did you think the above thing was what was good about it? And if you do, why? Have you only been playing shamans recently? Not sure but that especially seems to be something that most other people have gotten fed up of. EVen monks, who have a wind-up heal, have gotten in on exploiting the ford duels. Very telling in my opinion. Very much indeed

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

FYI on this: The Ford update is really close to being finished. I just wanted to take some more time flushing out the new quest/secrets and didn't want to rush it out. I used the time I had slotted for The Ford quest on a couple extra bells and whistles at the end of Q3 2019 Patch development.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: