Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 8 hours.

Merciful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tayyah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Merciful

So, watching the stream regularly I see Kang kill a few people, and notice that he still stuns them before he kills them. As an evil monk, and a legion to boot, I dont see him as being a "merciful" character. Maybe have it auto off after you kill a certain amount of people after stunning them or something? All I see now is a free 30 seconds to compose himself before looting. Seems a little bs to me

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like an evil character has figured out an effective way to get some cheap heat, so he has my support to keep doing it. Go teach him a lesson

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

naw if that's the case I'm just going to turn it on all my chars. exploit it until more people complain. FYI his character came like that. monks auto merci

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Ok, If your character isnt evil though you risk being outcasted you over it.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject:

How could that possibly risk being outcast if you're not evil? It's a game mechanic and you're using it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject:

Because you're doing something villainous.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

Eh no Dav. He was being MERCIFUL and wants to offer a prayer up to the gods before he rip the guy's head off his spine. Then proceed to full loot him after giving him the most merciful prayer he can ever think of.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

the point i wanted to make is just that a villainous character irustling jimmies should result in you guys wanting to see his come uppance (especially if he got ganked after mercy thing), instead of wanting code changes to prevent the jimmies from being rustled. I dont see the necessity of patching it

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

but you shouldn't be allowed to be merciful if you're evil

1 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Telling an evil chaotic player what they can and can't do is stupid. Even the devil appears as the good guy sometimes.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Forcing a player to automatically do something that can completely counter their own RP/intended actions, and not being able to turn it off, seems wrong... while OP's jimmies may have been rustled the actual problem is the concept of roleplaying an inherently evil person who is forced to have a merciful streak just because he's a monk. If anything I'd think merciful should be something all classes should be able to toggle on or off depending on their own RP. (There are some people who play evils that could be merciful depending on circumstance.)

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

he can turn it off, it's just on by default

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

We're not disagreeing, I'll just elaborate on that by saying monks are made merciful by default because that is the common sense way to go. They do not even wield weapons, currently, not just because of some time constraints but because they have a lore backstory of undertaking sacred vows against using weapons to hurt living cvreatures. They're a very lawful-leaning class. Very much so.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

nycticora - it seems like monks are hardcoded to have merciful on. in game commands suggest there is no choice there.

>merciful
Even the most despicable monks prefer not to take life.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

so let's take this another step than. your immediate reaction to me is you'll get out casted. how is a monk who constantly taking lives against the forced merci n to outlasted from the monk guild than. from your words exactly?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I think you're confusing your character being roleplayed as a social outcast (i.e. not fitting in with the rest of the hypothetically non-murderous buddhist inspired monks that are meditating peaceful in the monastery, ignoring the peace they teach) with the immortal punishment of outcast that comes from straying from one's chosen alignment - I said "If your character isnt evil though you risk being outcasted". The worst case I can see there is they would refuse your entry into the monastery but you'd still know kung fu. Being outcasted by gods is usually a chump's punishment with some pretty serious downsides. It might be interesting to have an actual monastery with a high abbott or whatever but its just NPC stuff and nobody is worrying about or enforcing that. The only way you get that kind of order right now is by joining cabals AFAIK. The only way you get outcast is by straying too far your alignment. There is nothing coded that prevents you from entering your guild, it may be interesting to do so, or it may be a waste of time.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

Ah, OK. We need to enable monks of all alignments to be able to disable merciful, in my opinion. Thanks for correcting me, Vanisse

monks of certain religions might be required to leave it enabled

1 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: