Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 16 hours.

Serving Nostalgia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Serving Nostalgia

Some back and forth between the other Immortals and myself, and looking at what's been going on in the world of entertainment at large, has led me to give pause to what I think about the proper application of nostaglia to the game. I think we are seeing a backlash against nostalgia gaming, stuff like multiple spiderman rehash, fantastic four rehash, etc, not to mention all the recent super mario games. Blizzards "D1" patch also seemed like a superficial cash-in. This has affected my view of classic gaming nostalgia. It definitely causes yearning for something that isn't just the same shit over and over. However, much of the appeal of text gaming is actually nostalgia for a bygone "classic" era, a very special form of appeal and that's precisely why those movie and game companies are cashing in on it. I think with Abandoned Realms, this longing for the past pertains to our areas mostly, especially the levelling areas, and I think it also applies to some of the dirty tricks we used to use (my very first PK was done by summoning somebody into the boulder below the boogum, and it was disappointing when it was deemed too unfair for the game's rules to continue allowing it).

One thing I obviously do not want (and I would find it extremely insane, to be honest about it) is to literally revert everything back to the way things were in 1999. This would ignore the fact that we have made plenty of GOOD changes, new areas like the cloud castle are very nice, the entire introduction of the underdark fits nice, overlords and monster potions are nice, surges are nice. It would also alienate players who began the game after that. Some things have had to be cut because they break heavily enforced copyright laws (mainly Tolkien, and the Wheel of Time stuff). Some things were just too heavily referenced OOC to the point they literally trigger people and harm the game's immersion. although its hard to see what exactly will do this since we are all happy with having Vlad the Impaler as an infamous NPC. Timaran is a great hometown, new thalos is in every mud ever and you really can log on any stock mud to see that. There are some stock areas that are looked upon like vomit unfortunately. My point being we've had some very good reasons to cut stuff, and we've also already been making smart decisions about what to leave alone. We do also need/want to "turn the page" so to speak, to keep the game interesting, and to give something in the future to look forward to, but there are times where I think we might've made some mistakes and missed out on having some very important nostalgic presence.

At this point, I think we should - no, we have to - take a step back and look at where we are, what is nostalgic for us and what maybe ought to not have been done. Nostalgia IS crucial because it is a shared emotional connection to the game and that strengths our community. Remember how we've moved (slightly) the large hobgoblins, the dragon sea changed, the mountain boogum is less difficult, etc, shit that mattered. I would like to identify what actually robs the game of some joy by being taken away. In this thread, I would like if people would please point out things that are (and also were) nostalgic for them. To clarify, I am looking for opportunities where it makes sense to restore stuff that has been removed that would be better kept for nostalgia purposes. I cannot promise I will put it back but I will pledge to make sure that where things has been removed, it was done for the right reasons.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Firstly, Id like to thank you for listening to us on IRC about the south square entrance to sewers and putting it back, that was huge for me. That would have been up there on the list for sure. I cant think of much right off the top of my head, but one that bothered me was changing the double plated arm guards in Darkhaven to orderly. doesn't make much sense to have an orderly mob right outside the legion cabal, and it was such a go to mid level rare for me to go get.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Cleave.

0 0 0
grant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject:

Psionicist

0 1
boo,
Andrael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject:

YAAAAS!

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

Dude. Fuck illithid necro. Necros blow choad anyway.

ILLTIHID PSINOCIST IN DA HOUSE!!!!

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

when I play a mortal I always go through ofcol and leave some claymores on the ground, because they always used to be there when the population was high

that's actually super sad

I always went easy on Ozaru's rangers when I caught him acting like a dipshit because he trained in ofcol

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Necros are awesome, but the lack of an easy +10/+10 weapon kinda ...how did you say? "blows choad"

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Nyc, I think whenever I decide to level something I usually check out Ofcol too.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

and the 50hp from it too

0 0 0
Niladein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Random...

It is really wierd that you brought this up... i just started listening to the Wheel of Time audio books, and I didn't really know there was a connection to the game and the books. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden I'm hearing about Shadar Logoth and how Mashadar stalked the city and I sort of thought I was having a stroke.... started having a black screen pan upwards in my minds eye and spamming where pk..

Anyway, I have played this game for about 20 years now on and off, and I am still terrible. It however has provided me with countless hours of entertainment and some extremely fun and angry moments. Thanks for what you all do and if there is something I can help with just ask.

3 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject:

Ergorion brought up that necromancers are really unrewarding due to the time investment it takes them to prepare for kills. He said the zombies just aren't good enough unless they're strength damned.

I think taking some of the pain out of leveling a necromancer should help to take the edge off this. The xp and grouping changes should make necros a lot more fun to play at lower levels, and we should get more of them as a result.

If there are other ideas you've got or things you want to add here please let me know.

0 0 0
Stephen2Aus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject:

Hmmm... I've got no problem with a necro ranking wise, but it's the prep time that really sucks...

What would be great is to be able to persist zombies across logoff/logon. Throw the poor guys a bone on this front!

Maybe just even 1 zombie persists - don't know, haven't played necros in any major way.

Maybe they can keep all zombies across logoff, but they lose strength damned?

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

more immortal abuse, how did you know it was my ranger fucking trump supporters using Russian satellites to see who I play

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

btw nyc your stupid suggestion only helps necros who have to solo rank, which is easy with or without zombies in lower ranks because hey guess what plenty of lowbies to rank with and guess what your exp debt is lower. Try tanking grocers, that will be fun blowing 50k of gold on potions for 1 rank.

Stop smoking weed and get back to the drawing board. JK its legal now keep smoking

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

idk what you're on Ozaru but I don't think you understand the change

I think it could be cool if Entomb saved a zombie for the next login, maybe with a timer. Like it only works for a day or two then the zombie rots if you don't log in. Might need you to log in with no mana or something if you have an entombed zombie.

Or entomb could just hide a zombie somewhere and other players can kill it if they find it.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

What if necro zombies' flesh rotted upon log out and when you logged back in they would come back as skeletons.

This way a necro would be able to try to zombify some decent shit right off the bat rather than having to summon slith fisherman and burning 20 minutes getting a starter army to go after some real shit.

I don't think this would make necros op and would help make their prep time more reasonable.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: