Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 6 hours.

Age/Creation Date/Hours played

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Age/Creation Date/Hours played

I think age should not be related to how many hours you play the game but when you were actually born. Some people have a hard time understanding why there guy does not age when they are offline. I think Age should be something to do with creation date. Hours played could be something else, like at each mark 100 hours/ 200 hours/ 300 hours played you get some sort of reward. Like at 200 hours played, you can get a custom title.

0 1
boo,
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject:

I certainly don't think hours played should net some sort of reward... ever...

I was always curious about how it could be tied into creation date, but as I thought about it more, I realize people keep characters forever. Is Kalest still around? How old could you make that character compared to the rest?

1 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject:

we manually advanced Kalest's age to make sense

I'm in favor of making age relate to creation date instead of playtime

2 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:

When we escape from the Abandoned Realms, I would assume that our bodies would be returned to a timeless dimension where they do not age. It makes more sense to me that a character should age only when time is spent in game, and not when locked in "stasis" with no mind controlling it.

2 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:

I am going to base custom titles off guild points if we ever go that route again, but right now I prefer what we're doing.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject:

Sure we can keep the custom title thing to just guild points, what about the rest of my idea? Age should have nothing to do with hours played.

0 1
boo,
ivindel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

The progression of age is commonly tied to increase in knowledge/wisdom (of the realms), life experience (ranks), proficiency in what we do (mastery of skills), etc. which can only happen through investing actual time logged onto the character to explore/gain ranks/train skills.

For the sake of immersion, I feel that the current system of relating age of character to hours played in-game is good as it is. To me, it simply doesn't make sense that a character that was 'created' a year ago but maintained alive by logging in 5 minutes every month, is 'older' than a character that has hundreds of hours invested in-game. There is a certain reverence that I have for characters that are 'older' in terms of age, partly due to the in-game presence/influence/interaction they have accumulated throughout the character's history.

3 0 0
Stephen2Aus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

Great post, convincing.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject:

Sure Ivendel but how do you justify creating someone a year ago, playing maybe the minimum hours required a month 10-15, and still being 20 years old in game, but then some dude who created this month plays 100 hours and is 23. To me that never made any sense.

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject:

Hi beia, what you said is exactly what makes sense to me.
If you look at the list of players ranked by age, and you compare between Fyrvielle and Mishtkah. Fyrvielle was created earlier than Mishtkah but it seems that she was only putting in the minimum hours every month whereas Mishtkah was created only recently but his presence was deeply felt through his battles and long hours logged on. In this case, due to the proximity in the total number of hours played for each of these 2 characters, they are almost of the same age, which makes it fair for an invested character to have a chance to rise in 'seniority' and grow to be as 'old' or in some cases 'older' than those characters that were created way earlier but were left in the dust due to diminishing interests.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject:

What I'm hearing here is that character age needs to be a function that incorporates:

playtime
    creation date
    activity/notability/notoriety
    ..?

anything else you can think of or anything more specific for the third one?

note that the point of this is to make the character's in-game age match the age you perceive the character to be, not to arbitrarily change the number. This is complex because we don't all necessarily perceive the same characters to be the same age based on the same criteria.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I would not agree that just because a person plays all day every day and logs 120+ hours a month should have more age than someone who created a year ago but only logs in maybe 20 hours a month. It just really fucks with my immersion. When you create your toon, wake up in the academy and start your life you are already 18 or so years old, so all that un played age is accounted for with your background. Now if you don't come around much you just stop aging? Time does not stop ticking because you are not around. Shit still happens when you are gone. When you come back and talk to your friends you make up shit that has happened why you have been away for so long or what not. I do this all the time. So why is it that I can develop relationships with people in game, we were born around the same time, but they are 29 because they play a ton but I am 18 still because I don't play as much... It is mind blowing! Like bro you still have not grown any facial hair? I would like to see age more incorporated into creation date. Even though age is just a number. If it is going to be to much work and not worth it then I'll suck it up and deal with it.

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject:

I'm with beia on this one, minus rewards based on hours played. I won't belabor my reasoning on that here.

There was one MUD I played where aging took place while a character wasn't logged in. At first I was like ..."eh, ...what?" As I played I still didn't necessarily agree with it, but I saw it as an incentive for the player to invest time at a more 'clustering' frequency. Weighed other positives and negatives. There are also some problems that such a mechanic could potentially squelch on its own without active staff involvement. Passive reasons also exist, such as reconciling RL creation dates as beia said.
After a while, I had no problem with it. It had to grow on me.

The characters that should live timeless outside login are immortals. Hence, immortals in the first place. I think the baseline pulse on what looks to concern the pbase bulk these days though, makes this topic a nonpoint. Otherwise, I'd vote that mortal characters age at least 1.5x slower out-of-game than they do in-game, with a max of 2x slower.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: