Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
 Current Top Five Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Monk builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oxyl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Monk builds

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on how best to 'build' a monk, in terms of what to tattoo and what styles are best, pointers, etc. I've looked around for a monk game guide and found an early one at http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10063 but I'm not sure if that is still accurate. In a perfect world there would be a monk version of http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11013 kicking around.

Thanks in advance.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject:

Since there's a demand for it, i'll try writing a guide on monks. By and large, that original guide is still correct. My guide will not be as detailed as Ivindel's but I think it'll serve its purpose.

Characteristics of a monk:

A monk has two types of styles, Yin and Yang

Yin style focuses more on defense and thus they have mitigation against physical attacks. However, the playerbase now are more experienced against monks, so most people are fighting monks with magical weapons to negate this effect. Nevertheless, this is just a bonus that you will get. If you were to look at the Yang styles, the styles are more damage oriented.

Monks are not meant to go up toe to toe with the warrior classes. They are skirmishers that deal consistent damage that bleed their opponents over time. That is to say your knowledge of the realms and pacing is very important. A heal takes approximately two combat rounds (around 6 seconds) of channelling. Your sense of opponent's position with respect to you and whether you have the space to heal is important as a monk.

Equipment:

This will be your biggest hate in a monk. They do not have haggle skill yet gambled equipments are very good for a monk. This is because many saves vs equipment are heavy in their slots. Heavy equipment will encumber you. Therefore the best is to gamble rings, necks and wrist. With 6 slots worth of saves to switch out when fighting mage classes. With limited slots, this means the worth of each piece needs to be high. At least a 12 saves per type in each slot would be recommended. So ... get your ass to farming gold, relics, Lobo etc etc for these equipments.

Tattoos:

Here is where my knowledge is lacking because each monk can only have one grandmaster tattoo that is irreversible. I'm not going to create that many monks just to test out grandmaster tattoos. However, bonus from tattoo only show up when you remove your armor and show the tattoo. Which is somewaht irrelevant if you have end game gear. I'll choose it over the tattoo actually, unless there are OP tattoos out there that i'm unaware of. Anyway, I heard that drunken grandmaster on chest gives a lot of AC, so you can try that for starts.

The other tattoos are for skills when you make a master tattoo. The original guide is still correct as to what skills you get when you master tatoo.

I'll just list out the few master tattoo that I think remotely has a use.

Master tattoo:
Crane: Wing buffet

This is good against classes with pets. Illusionist and necromancers. However, do becareful when you use it. Crane is a duel wield style and you get hit pretty hard when in this style. Wing buffet also consumes a lot of ki when you use it. When using it, go to areas that has many exits and use it, so it will not be easy for the illu or necro to reclaim their pets as their pets will flee in random directions.

Monkey: Monkey Clamber

I think this is the most important tattoo for monks. Clamber is a finishing move. When you clamber the enemy, you follow him when he flees and continue to attack him. In addition, you get 1 free attack round while in clamber. Meaning 1 combat round + 1 addiitonal atk round of you boxing him. However, Monkey is a Yang style in defensive. You get hit A LOT in this style. I will not recommend using this unless you are SURE of the kill.

Drunken: Stagger Damage

This skill is purely situational. I would only recommend using it against berserkers. The stagger damage basically spreads out the damage you receive over time instead of instant kill from the raging berserker. However the use of this skill is tricky. Everytime you stagger, it is active for only few rounds. You have to time it well for it to be effective.

You can explore the other skills from tattoo but I personally find them to be irrelevant and seldom used.

Combat Styles:

Firstly, monks will hit 3 times regardless of what style they are in. So is leopard viable against a dual wielding berserker that is raging? Yes it is. Leopard is a superbly good defensive style, I still hit the berserker 3 times per round and knowing he cannot parry my attacks well, I will choose leopard against the berserker. My point is, the consideration is very diff compared to a warrior.

The one big thing that having advantage styles over your enemy is chii build up. Being in superior, you will notice the chance of executing forms to build chii is higher.

Chii:

Chii charges everytime you use a form and you have up to level 3 chii. A level 3 chii bolt will neutralize protective shield and armor spell, allowing you to grapple the enemy. OR you can consume the level 3 chii for a free healing.

Note: The chii can only be used against the person you are fighting to build the chii. Your syntax DOES NOT TELL YOU WHICH CREATURE THE CHII BUILT. This can catch you offguard when enemy uses rescue command and your chii builds on his pet. Your heal will fail if you redirect to him with chii build on his pet. Chii will only RESET when you build 1 stack of chii on the new target.

Combat against fighter classes:

In general against fighter classes (warriors rangers berserkers etc), you will want to stay in yin styles. The most frequent styles used are leopard and crane.

Crane:

Crane is easily the most badass style there is for a monk. At level 50, crane gives -5 dam and +25 hitroll. That is easily 20 points to hitroll. This style is your staple. In crane, it is easy to hit 55 hitroll and above and make sure every attack penetrates enemy defenses. As I said before, a Monk bleeds the enemy down, therefore crane is the best "offensive" style there is simple because they do not block your attacks in crane.

Leopard:

Leopard is the most badass defense style there is. Use it when you wish to mitigate damage. I will only use this against two handed styles. A round or two in leopard against two handed will win you the fight.

Panda:

Panda style in my opinion is somewhat lacklustre. Against a duel wielding opponent, the only thing you have is chii building. The benefits from panda style is somewhat weak as you are just not doing enough damage and taking heaving hits from a duel wielding fighter class.

Therefore, the best strategy for a monk is to skirmish and heal. Lots of running around basically. I would recommend crane againt dual wield over panda or any other two handed style.

Mage Classes:

Against illusionist/necromancer:
Illu and necromancers deal huge damage with their pets. I would recommend staying in leopard all the time. You have to reduce the damage dealt by the pets. Skirmish and heal.

Against Invokers:
This is tricky. Invokers have a barrier spell that negates physical attacks. The only way you are going to deal damage is when you execute a form. Which gives style type damage for a few rounds after. That is to say, crane gives you the highest chance to execute a form. Although monkey allows you a chance to tumble from the spell, it is difficult to execute a form to deal arcane damage because invokers are mostly in defensive form. Bleeding mana from punching barrier is inconceivable, I have tried and tested it, it is almost impossible. Barrier is too effective.

Against paladins/dark knights:
This is where most of the two handed wielding classes are. Leopard / monkey will shine against these two classes. Monkey against Dark Knights would be recommended. Those pesky fireballs hurt and they will mostly be in 2 handed. Dark knights do not have dual parry, so if they were to go dual wield, they do get superior style with no benefits other than more attacks. This does not hurt you much being in monkey. You can switch to crane against him if he dual wields, but I do not recommend playing the switching game as they can switch faster than you can style.

I think this generally covers the monk builds and fighting styles that I would recommend. Hope this helps!

1 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject:

Wow. I just wrote off the top of my head. Didn't expect it to be such a long post.... Mad

0 0 0
Nycticora
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

I have an unbeatable 3-step plan for playing a monk

step 1: figure out everything the guy who made the class intends for you to do and do the opposite of that to find as many edge cases as possible

step 2: abuse what you learned

step 3: repeat

if this doesn't work whine on the forum until you get buffs (this worked for everybody else)

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject:

Lol. That works too actually.

1 0 0
Oxyl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Wow, thanks Merlandox! I'm sure I'll have questions so I'll post 'em here.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:

Sure! I'm sure there're a lot of people that will be willing to reply to your questions other than me!

By the way, should this post be shifted to the game guide's section? Maybe Ivindel's post too?

0 0 0
Oxyl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

What good is astral body? Any good uses?

0 0 0
Stephen2Aus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject:

Astral body is cool, you can walk right past whole waves of junk mobs to get to that tough mob that is sitting way over there.

You can use it to explore regions that you'd previously not been 100% on, because nothing can hit you.

You can use it in Winter to waltz straight past all the plains right into the cool parts...

So much good stuff.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject:

Panda has a really good and very unique active tanking skill. I wouldnt pass over it when deciding specs. You can spec into more than one thing. Up to you though. I did agree the effects were a bit lousy (+1 dam? a bit blah) but wasnt going for crazy +30 dam stuff either. Feel free to make suggestions.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: