Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 1 hour.

shadows: assassinate + demon machine adjustments
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abandoned Realms

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: shadows: assassinate + demon machine adjustments

The following has entered affect regarding these two skills.

1) Assassinate. Rather than this skill instantly giving you full energy it
requires energy to be maxed. Also, it doesn't give you full energy right
away anymore, if you want that you will need to use the reclaim ninjitsu
skill (which will remove the marks of shadow that were applied by the
assassinate).

2) The shadow art "machine" (which is the haste) will now require max mana
to start it. It will also quickly burn through the shadows entire mana
reserve and stop - the way to look at that is youre going to have to create
a window to use that in, and then make the most of the window - there are
ways to lengthen it such as wearing mana equipment. I'll let you guys
strategize from there, just mentioning an obvious one.

What we're trying to accomplish with these changes is to make the strategy a little
more interesting.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

What about making Shadows light and or medium armor only? I can't see a shadow walking around hidden, soundlessly in titanium Tenor, and currently there are two of them doing it. Makes no sense.

1 0 1
Oxyl

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

In fact I'd like to see:

1) Ninjas light-only like monks are or they suffer encumbrance and associated skill loss.

2) A high-end set of light armor so monks and ninjas have something to wear since they can't wear tenor/titanic/etc.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Nadrin, ninjas are meant for stealth and sneaky stuff... large heavy eq and stealth do not go together, at all.

1 0 0
Ty

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm on board with the light and medium armor. It just makes RP sense. At that rate, however, thieves will have to abide by that as well (or if they do already; I haven't played one and it's never come up in conversation with me until now). I'd go on to say the equipment for those three would be limited with all of them going for the good stuff, but the player base isn't so large to disrupt that.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Currently thieves can't sneak with large weapons. That may go for ninjas as well, I'm note sure.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

I can't see exactly why heavy eq should encumber stealth. Does that also apply to elf autosneak? Because then you have a heavy armor elf paladin or drow dark-knight who cannot sneak. If that is allowed then what about a drow shadow, is he going to be allowed to sneak too? Does this require five or more heavy items before ability to sneak is lost.

0 0 0
Ty

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Fighter and the hybrid classes train with heavy equipment, they are also light on their feet. Maybe there could be a limit of heavy armor before they lose their autosneak.

The rogue classes train in stealth, they are more accustom to lighter equipment and would be inhibited with heavy armor, making them lose their agility.

That's just how I see it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Are you guys saying it should disable specific skills, but NOT autosneak? I can definitely see it busting throw/clobber/uncanny attack/sidestep as those are rogue-only agility skills. It seems like counterbalance is also a big one. Is this a complete encumberance or can you continue to do your shit but pay a movement penalty. And why wouldnt it affect fighters too? I mean fighters are very often seen in loincloths for agility reasons. They are swinging third attack and dodge in that heavy shit. Plate makes best sense for defense. Maybe the problem is just that this plate has a ton of damroll on it. There is no damroll on platinum plate, and it seems like maybe this isnt a code issue but the items were not designed well

Your thoughts ?

0 0 0
Oxyl

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I won't speak for the other guys on this thread but I'm specifically talking about this line in the monk helpfile:

[code]They must wear light armor to be able to perform their techniques./code]

I am saying that just like monks must wear light armor or suffer loss in functionality, make this the same for shadows. E.g. if a shadow wears heavy or medium armor then they can't perform any forgotten arts or shadow arts.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

OK I feel like that includes throw.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I think there is a problem with itemization more generally. Heavy armor doesn't actually provide more defense than light armor, so people will continue to gear for the same stats as ever. There also isn't enough gear in the game for there to be lots of good options for any given align / armor type combination - there has always been the one god tier of spiked light steel / titanium / winter stuff, and everyone is going to continue using that unless you introduce mechanics to specifically prevent certain classes (like monks / shadows) from using that.

I think the AC system is fundamentally broken, since AC has increasing marginal effects. This means that if you were to put 5 very high AC items in the game, someone with all 5 could become basically invulnerable. This means that each item must be balanced not just against other items of its type, but against every other item in the game. With a decreasing or flat marginal effect, this wouldn't be a problem.

Another problem I see - dismal playerbase means that gear differences matter more. It's pretty much impossible to get a HGOD together right now. Smaller differences in balance are going to matter way more, because the balancing force of random PK chaos that existed in the game 5 years ago is gone.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject:

My ideas are pretty straight forward. In D&D Rogues cannot wear heavy armor without full sneak penalties.

Imagine this. An elf is so quiet because they are slight in stature, and naturally super agile. IE nearly perfect hand eye coordination. If you put a set of chain-mail on anything, the chain-rings are GOING to rattle when you move. Period. If you put on heavy plate mail. The plate overlaps and moves. When you are walking the plates are slapping together and clanking. Hence noise.

My thoughts. Heavy armor should affect all forms of sneak/hide. Heavy armor should affect all forms of agility based skills. I could see having forgiveness for one or two slots. For instance. A heavy helm can be open faced and one piece. It is not going to affect agility. A properly formed breastplate could be one piece with straps holding it together. It wouldn't make a terrible amount of noise. The weight is not the problem, but rather the makeup of the armor. Even so, you would not see a slight weaker than average person wearing a 50 pound chest-plate. It would be horrible in every sense.

I am really happy to see so much agreement in this, and would like to see other peoples thoughts on this. The skills that I feel should be affected are as follows.

hide
sneak
counterbalance
dodge
throw (Maybe)
any spell casting (Casting is done with hand gestures and words usually, and I picture ninjitsu having to weave signs or something.)

I am sure there are more that I am missing.

I feel like the whole armor situation should be looked at. Sets should be looked at, there are literally NO high end light or medium armor sets, but you have torments/tenor/champion/visage that are all heavy sets.

I would like to see a more even balance of sets, and new armor added to the game, and even stuff modified to fit.

1 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject:

yeah we need a lot more sets and more rares it looks like

and a lot more light equipment

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject:

I also realllly want to see the Codex upgraded to have armor type (heavy vs medium vs light) a filterable attribute.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject:

I added a being unable to see target penalty onto throwing shuriken and updated the generation algorithm so that you can throw 1-6 shuriken similar to the jack the hat toss game. You can guarantee an extra shuriken by using a spell to cast them

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject:

Ceridwel has been asking me to do stats for items for awhile and I've been putting it off, I'll try to get into that this weekend.

If anyone has any set or item suggestions please post them in the ideas & suggestions forum.

There are 3 hard parts of making an item:

1. the idea, description, what type it should be, etc.
2. the stats
3. the place it will spawn in-game

good suggestions will be taken heavily into account if they reduce the workload of one of those 3 hard parts

0 0 0
flea

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject:

I really like to see the emphasis on heavy, medium, and light playing a part with all classes. Kato and Nadrin are spot on, and I envision this:

mage - light
hybrid - heavy/medium
fighter - heavy
rogue - medium (bard is a rogue)
vampire - all
monk - light/medium
druid - light/medium (or all light, if they're considered mage)
cleric - light/heavy

You do not have to restrain all classes from using certain armor, but perhaps others would benefit more like hybrids do with heavy, and others like monks suffer more using heavy due to encumbrance. Right now it seems consensus to say that Shadows should be directed more to medium armor. Save the light armor for the mages. As far as casting and wearing light armor, maybe a normal regular that is already existing with mage casting, but if they wear heavy armor or medium, they might see lesser capabilities or perhaps more with particular spells.

This is going off of Nadrin's post, but how one casts a spell could be a thing. Whether it is verbal, requiring semantics (hand motions), or a ritual (which requires it to be channeled for a certain amount of time). Not every spell has to be like that, maybe most, or some, or a select few. But I understand if that is too D&D for you, and all that takes a lot of implementation, but you got a merry band of folk who are willing to help.

I keep saying this, but diversity is good.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject:

In addition to Nycticora's ask for the Ideas & Suggestions forum, I posted a thread some months ago inviting you guys to submit ideas/requests for items that are currently lacking from the game that I can put in a new area I'm working on. Never got much feedback but the ask is still open. Don't ask for uber +6+6 swords that hellstream. But like, a good-only rare ring that gives +2 damage with no penatlies, to offset the skull ring from MahnTor, was a gap that I've filled.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject:

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11430

Link to post about items and sets and thoughts about them.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: