Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 4 hours.

Changes you don't like.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject:

It might be fun to make leveling really hard again. You guys might not have noticed but there is something you should really know about this.

Eat Me, Drink Me, regeneration and protection monster pots, and surges are papering over some balance issues we have in the low and mid levels right now. I don't think it would be wise to suddenly make leveling hard again, because it would expose a lot of serious issues with niche PK. I think it would not be very fun if we reverted some of those changes now.

You should also know that as the amount of character investment increases, the amount of damage a PK does to a player increases a great deal. Right now if you get killed at level 35 or 40 it's not really all that big a deal. If it was like old times again and took groups of 3 some hard core keyboard pounding to get to 50, it would take a lot longer to get to 35 or 40 and the PKs that happen there would mean a lot more. Since we have fewer players now, there won't be as much of a chance for you guys to gain PK skill at level 15 or 25 as there was when leveling was hard. Newbies are going to get to the 30s and then get mercilessly pk'd.

If this is something you guys think is a problem and we decide to tackle it, we'll have to put it on the road map and make gradual changes to make ranking more difficult again.

I can tell you what though, I would have more fun myself if it was a lot harder to level.

There are some mitigating factors that make it not so bad, like pets being able to freely group and invokers being able to sustain. Those changes take a lot of the edge off leveling the most difficult classes. It might be fun to see that matter more than surges and cakes.

if we make a change we should sync it with druids opening so the druids all have the tough gauntlet

1 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject:

i just meant the cakes and drinks the surges n pots are good. the cakes n drinks is how ppl get blasted to pinnacle at least with the other methods there is still a window of "oh just a few more lvls!' and it always seemed weird to me shrinkin lvls to help others out isnt that in itself breaking some fourth wall in the realm of Thera?

but lemme tell u i agree dont change it just b/c im flappin my gums, but lemme also say this. I use to be one to delete over first death but i grew out of it, i thi k its the person making the choice influenced by rng

to me the quick 50 with cakes is like a finish without the race, like what even is the point if ur just going to burn thru chars all the time but if thats what ppl want have at it mates ;<

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

If the player base gets decent i wouldn't mind making it more difficult. It would suck for me if you log in and see 1 player online, nobody to rank with then you log out. You wait a week and oh, finally a group. Then because it is more difficult you rank 8 levels. Then oh shit. Back to 1 week of waiting and hoping.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

Most race class combos can solo rank without monster pots. It sucks ballz but you can do it.

I think the ranking issue is this: because people are so used to getting 1200xp per kill in groups of three with rewards/surges, they use that as their baseline and assume the 80-200xp per kill grind is not worth their time whether it's solo or with one other group member.

Removing monster pots and potions/cakes would be an easy A/B test. It would not be too difficult and I would say not harmful to do two weeks on, two weeks off of monster pots and cakes. If anything clerics would get a boost from off-potion weeks.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Personally I think the monster potions are good and fine. Eventually you just run into mobs that hit way to hard and you're going to need some sort of aura/healing if you are solo ranking(especially depending on your race/class). I've always felt pretty MEH about the cakes and potions. While I haven't completely solo leveled a class, I have gotten it solo to 42 more then quick enough to group with the 50's.

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I've never liked the eat me/drink me stuff. The only benefit I see from it is when someone like a helpful mystic lowering levels to help a newbie do some leveling or showing them areas to grab some common equipment. I've seen Goron/Varliv do this alot before.

Other then that I think it encourages alot of bullshit OOC perma-groups. Don't need to be an Imm to see which people are perma-grouped. Also it really accelerates the ranking a bit too much, people getting to 50 in less then 10 hours is just pretty retarded. I think that definitely is one of the reasons the turnover at level 50 is so high and the fact alot of people don't really care about their characters, as they can easily just flip and rank another one.

With the monster pots, learning boosts, you can really adequately solo train/rank a very decent character with almost all popular race/class combos quite easily. You reach a very decently trained character at the end, and it is still really fast imo.

You can argue that newbies get a bit more margin of error pking at 50, being more balanced and having just more health but I think it really deters people from improving when they get spanked by a couple of vets in 5 rounds when they haven't even learned how to use half their skills appropriately.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

this is just a silly conversation to me. it benefits absolutely no one. this change will not make anyone's game play any better but will hinder some... so you want to make a change that doesn't do good. but bad. I don't understand that's all. this won't make.me want to hold onto my characters longer I gaurantee. but it will make me less and less likely to roll another when I do delete, the harder it gets to level

0 0 0
Vinther

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

The game is pointless below level 50.

All the content is catered for the end-game.

The only thing you can do on 25 is train and have overly unbalanced PK experience.

I absolutely loathe the idea of grinding exp in this game, simply because it SHOULD NOT be about levels, but the RP and PK.

I don't see anything wrong about blasting to 50 in less than 10 hours. 10 hours is still a lot of time to spend from your REAL LIFE, hours that you never get back in your life. Ten hours simply to do something utterly mindless, like killing same mobs over and over again.

Exping should NOT be the focus of the game, AT ALL.

--------

RP is what makes this otherwise "average" (when it comes to countless of other ROM derivations) mud stand out/be playable in the first place.

Levelling with the current playerbase is a nuisance. It stops a lot of people from rolling more interesting chars. Even if they are a flash in the pan and don't work out as planned, then at least hey, people can try different ideas/approaches as they develop their RP.

TL;DR In a RP-enforced, PK-focused mud, levelling should be the least of priorities when DEVELOPING a char. RP should be developing your char, not endlessly killing same mobs over and over again.

1 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject:

Can we create a vote to just ban vinther

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject:

all it takes is one vote and you just made it

0 0 0
Vinter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

ranix' new pet Ozaru lol.

You two deserve each other. Hypocrite fucks.

Ozaru got DENIED for busted multiplay just recently and it's ok for him to play, but not ok for someone else to play.

And you say it's not personal nor favoritism lol.

I'm just gonna spend some rl money to get this server DDOSed 24/7 until ranix is banned.

Enjoy. RIP

0 0 3
Ozaru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Not that it matters, but I have openly admitted to what I did and never denied it. Yes I used a cell phone to create a char and rank my main. What I did not do is rank an illusionist and monk to level 50, get a bunch of rares, auction them for 10 minutes then log in with Duneran a level 25 fire warrior and buy them all. But yes Ranix and I do love each other I am sorry you are jealous of our relationship. No soup for you

1 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

i think the point here is if ozaru can be rehabilitated anyone can. give vinther some time

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject:

The auto-mania is terrible... It honestly makes me not want to play a berserker... All of a sudden losing the ability to relax (and therefore not able to flee, quaff a potion, anything) is too detrimental. You're already rolling the dice on relax working when you want it to, any chance this can get changed?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I guess that one can be chalked up to venting. From an RP standpoint it makes sense too, you lose your shit when something doesn’t go your way so you enter mania.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject:

you went mania on the forums dude

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject:

I've been back for a bit now and I just ran into something that is anti-fun.

The guy in Darkhaven who sells wild weapons now requires relics instead of gold. It seems way harder to get relics than it is to get gold, and if I recall correctly, the idea of these weapons was to provide someone with decent weapons rather easily.

My guy is up there for levels and I've done training, leveling, killing mobs for rares, questing, etc and I have a whole 2 relics. Why does this thing even sell items at level 40 or 45 when you have to be able to kill a mob with level 50 rares in order to get the weapons?

I'm sure that there have been some changes elsewhere tied to this that I just don't know about, but as soon as I found this out I was really disappointed and thought immediately "well that is anti-fun".

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

Kalist, I am not sure why you are killing level 50 mobs for that, because you can get enough relics from doing the most brainless of quests, cant you? Since you asked why, I think we decided the wild weapons weren't part of the easy to reach chaotic gear arrangement anymore. its caused an overpopulation. If we're talking about the weapons we think we are. I've also got a decent argument for why those weapons should be on sale in Valour to lightwalkers only. Maybe the mob defects to the knights at some point, and then our answer to that same complaint will be sac requested equipment to help re-circulate it

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Idk, the relics helpfile says to kill the level 50 eq mobs or do quests. I have done a bunch of quests and again, 2 relics total. There might be some quests that give a pile of relics but I don’t know them. I’m sure I will have lots of relics when I am level 50 but then I will probably have better weapons than the wild ones. It would have been nice to get those to help get the better ones..

I will make an effort to figure out more quests but would have had a lot more fun buying some weapons and fighting some stuff. Maybe that’s just me though.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

I think those weapons have always been intended for a quick equip for a lvl 50 after a full loot, not necessarily as a handout. As you pointed out, they're a bit of an investment for an up and comer, and that feels right to me too. Note that there are daily repeatable quests on the Herald Boards to keep relics stocked if you've already completed all of your quests until you can kill endgame mobs. I'm not sure there's a need to increase relic farming potential for sub-50 characters beyond increasing the quest rewards from 5 relics per quest instead of 2, which sounds appropriate to me.

For an average level 40-45 schlub, elemental canyon weapons seem like a good fit to start up. I would find it hard to believe that a lvl 40 character cannot easily find and obtain avg 22 rare weapons in guild issue with fiery daggers or an earthen mace. No offense, but this feels like laziness.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 19 of 25

Jump to: