Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 6 hours.

AR Campaign Setting ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hondorian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: AR Campaign Setting ideas

Hi, forum trolling for some fresh ideas
So, I don’t play anymore but I’ve been feeling nostalgic lately. Also, I’ve really gotten into D&D 5e. I’m attempting to craft my own setting. They day steal from what you know. Well, that leads me here.

My questions are these:
Have you ever ran a D&D campaign based on AR?
What do you think would be a compelling adventure to “translate” to a dice and paper game?
What version of D&D do you think AR is most equivalent to?
What campaign setting do you think AR can work? Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, birthright?

I’m a very new DM and my friends haven’t asked me to stop. So I’m gungho about this. I’ve watched a lot of Matt Colville's YouTube channel. He’s been a big inspiration. I think my years of AR has given me a creative edge. The one thing I've been working on lately is a Pantheon.

Any other advice is welcome too. Or we can just shoot the shit.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Eh, do a Legion winter run with the Justices trying to apprehend sayereat or something.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I actually run a 5e d&d campaign rooted in AR for 6 players about once a month. I built the campaign world and map from scratch. The AR connection is mainly the gods and some of the key npc's. I don't try to use Seringale maps or anything like that.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject:

nope, never did. I've done worlds based on books though

AR's pretty different from most of the D&D campaign worlds. A lot of AR's appeal I think is that the game really squashes you and tries to keep you down, especially when people higher level are in PK. That doesn't work too well with the goal of making all the players feel badass, which was always the only way I could get them to pay attention.

I had a DM once who could do suspenseful sessions where you weren't sure whether or not you had the resources to get out of situations, that was pretty cool and could work well. But he had to cheat a lot or fudge rolls to keep the party weak and vulnerable but not dead, so that had a big negative effect too. And you're in for a world of shit if you encourage a PC to kill another PC

idk, sounds hard.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

I want to hear if I was featured in anyones dnd campaigns and how haha

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

I think the real trick to converting AR to a tabletop is to find a hook for the players. I would recommend picking a single location to start off in as opposed to the AR approach of allowing any major town. It doesn't have to be a starting city, they could be from ofcol for example, but it should be an area with enough depth to bring them to level 2 or maybe even level 3. Heavily restrict the players at character creation or run a preliminary session to do character building to ensure that they all belong to the starting city. Once they're at level 3, give them a major quest that allows them out into the greater world. Let them run around to level 5 or 6 meeting the starting cities and finding their major opposition: knights if they're evil, Legion if they're good, Keepers if they're greedy, The Law if they're thieves. By 6 or 7, you should drop hints about whatever you want their level 10 boss fight to be, then spend the next few levels introducing them to that boss's area and fighting their way there.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: