Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 10 hours.

Should warrior still be default newbie class?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Should warrior still be default newbie class?

For as long as I can remember, the default recommendation for n00bs has been to roll a warrior. The idea being that they're tanky and you don't have to worry about a ton of different buffs to keep up.

But the game has changed a lot these past several years and I think we should revisit what the best n00b friendly class would be.

I honestly think casters might be a decent way to go for the newbie. Specifically invokers, and the clerics. The importance of sanc is a huge lesson that you have to learn and rolling a class that can use its own sanc is a good way to ingrain this.

On top of that, probably rolling an avian, quasit or some other race that inherently flies would be the way to go for a newbie so that they can run forever. Running is the first step to pk'ing.

Your thoughts?

This thread brought to you because of a segment of the stream I saw.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject:

I've always felt healers are one of the best noob classes. People typically want them around in groups(yay make friends) and they are relatively safe to go and adventure by yourself. The biggest thing for them would be making sure they consider things before attacking, avoiding damnation. And their damage is sort of lacking. Might make them lose interest. Monks wouldn't be too bad nowadays either and I'd completely tell them to avoid druids.

Invokers are solid especially now that every spell isn't 50 mana at low levels. Makes it so much easier. They can put out the good damage before taking it. And your sanctuary point is dead on.

Warriors/Rangers are on par with each other. They will likely get a noob a solid intro in leveling; might get mid levels before really needing monster pots, if they are figuring things out easily enough. Sure they will need to figure out sanctuary, but if they are a noob, they will likely die plenty anyways.

Take all this with a grain of salt, since I haven't had time to play morts/level characters in ages. Just my thoughts of their general abilities and how easy they are to use them.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject:

I would rather tell them to roll a thief but then we'd have to fix hide first I guess. But newbies doing thieves and stealing from established 50s and causing outrage would definitely be hilarious

0 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I've played for a few months now and I am still hesitant to roll a class without sanc and detect invis.

Purple potions I know where to get, from Tenebria and north of Valour.

Detect invis potions feel such a hassle though! I always veel really scared and vulnerable if I don't have detects up.

Feels much safer to play a caster or hybrid instead of pure warrior.

I believe that for newbies, Ranger class could be very self-sufficient with a nice butt-saving ability like Camouflage. Haven't got mine past level 4, so so far it only seems good on paper.

Also a healer is something I'd recommend to make friends and stay safe.
Great for learning places like Winter, because you're almost always welcome and can just tag along and learn new places.

I've yet to see a level 50 warrior though, most of everyone plays a monk. Is there a point to warrior in current meta? Seems that monk can do everything better.

0 1
boo,
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject:

This post didnt age well huh? m1co went fully downey jr.

1 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: