Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

Minotaur Druid?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you say a minotaur druid can fit in Serin lore?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Either way
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Ty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Minotaur Druid?

I don't think a minotaur druid would be out of the question.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

I voted either way. I'd like to change that to a no.. I think this would be way to strong. picture a fire giant shaman with pets but no vulnerability to check it

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Haha... So we don't have Minotaur warriors, which sort of make sense, but someone wants a minotaur druid now? Good lord.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject:

I’ve been trying to figure out mechanics and make choices based off stats lately. I still think I know little to nothing, but one thing I know for sure is that the stats for a Minotaur would make a terrible Druid.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject:

I agree with Vertas. I don't think it would be OP. I don't want minotaurs in caster roles though.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject:

It felt luke-warm about minotaur druid, I liked it but ultimately didn't want to open them up beyond berserkers. Each druid race has a spec, which gives it a different set of spells. We'll obviously need to consider adding more combos for races (rigidity = stagnation after all) but I don't want to come up with more spells/specs so you guys will have to include that with your suggestions. If the spec looks really good it might get better than a luke-warm reaction from me. I thought a minotaur going around picking herbs might be cool, kind of like forage was liek grazing? There's some potential there. However, I've seen more clamoring for minot warrior than anything

0 0 0
Cartsel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject:

Nope.... where in gods name does a minotaur fit in with nature??? A being that was mixed by the magic of the gods to protect a place? If it was up to me, I would rather halflings be granted the ability to become a druid over a minotaur. I think that makes more sense.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject:

That nature thing is a decent point, but there's a glaring hole in that point. At face value, I'd think of minotaur as a bit of an abomination of nature, with more ties to necromancy than druidism. That's reinforced by their cold homeland and extreme enthusiam for death, which is a mirror of Resatimms attributes. However, what that neglects is that they can also have a bit of Warlord-like background. Minotaurs can stipulate they seek death because its the ultimate form of glory, and that they're surviving in a cold homeland because they figured out how to live in it. That can be looked at as part being beefcakes and another is just they figured out some natural magic (druidism) to help it. A race which is so death-focused like they are could also be killing shit to make sacrifices to the immortals, and human sacrifice especially is right up a druids alley. Only reservation I can really think of against minotaur druids is that I didn't actually code enough cold spells

Mahntors row of minotaur paladins rangers and whatever feels a bit out of place. I got nothing to say about that. That is something I have always ignored because it seemed like stock stupidity. Sometimes thats what you gotta do

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject:

I don’t think it’s fair to say that all mythologies of Minotaurs have them being abominations, Cartsel is citing Greek mythology. Now that I really think of it, I’m having a hard time coming up with where else Minotaurs show up... I don’t think they show up in Tolkien, or Terry Brooks, definitely DND, but I don’t recall them being anywhere in the forgotten realms books (bear with me it’s been forever).

I’m okay with us coming up with or own lore on stuff for the record, I’m just not sure it’s fair to say ALL Minotaurs are abominations in all universes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

Its pretty cut and dry in my opinion, they are straight inspired by the Mesopotamian (modern day Iraq) outsiders, which goes way back. The mesopatamians were really fearful of what lay outside the borders of Mesopotamia, and they came up with these mythological creatures that were often partly human..this also affects the surrounding countries, one of which is Egypt

mermaids, centaurs, minotaurs, egyptian gods like anubis (jackal head), horus (falcon head), and what not, all comes out of that part of the world, and probably even longer ago than those guys. and then there's stuff like minotaurs and harpies that were quite obviously greek mimickry. for christians, I believe we have a guy called "satan" who has some goat horns or something?

nycticora recently showed me this statue which was old as FUCK, and it was human figure with an elephant head.

When I was doing the research for making monks, I found there were thai buddhist mermaid statues

So its probably ok for hybrids to be whatever class.

Maybe for fun a minotaur should get to specify what kind of head they have haha

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Satan is actually based on Moloch, the god of Canaanites and child sacrifice. That's the big religion that existed after the fall of Sodom and Gomorrah. I don't know if Gomorrah was Canaan or just a place in Canaan or the ruler of Canaan, it's really vague.

It is thought that the name "Satan" came from the Greek god Cronus, whose name was Saturn in Latin, whose pantheon was similar to and absorbed the cult of Moloch after the cult fell out of style.

Some say masonic rituals directly descend from the worship of Moloch.

Moloch was a minotaur.

If I was from Iraq back then I would be fucking terrified of the Moloch worshippers.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

I vote no to druid but i would love a minotaur warrior, please please please. Ive been pushing this for like four years or something. Give minotaur warriors a vuln like fire. they had to go high in the mountains of mahntor to do exclusive training and because of the rigid cold have developed a hate for extreme heat. minotaurs as a warrior class makes so much sense its not even funny. give them a bad temper skill or something cool instead of warcry or maybe berserk. Ive had a lot of time to think about this and it really would be sweet to see it happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

I've always had mixed feelings about Mahn-Tor area. It's stock and shitty, but at the same time it has character and helped to define my early AR experiences. Specifically, the random minotaur mobs standing around in locked rooms are definitely out of place because a) they're illegal race/class combos in our game and b) they just stand there doing nothing. What if those mobs (Nasturn, Sumaron, etc) were actually non-minotaur humanoids that the sadistic bastards put on display in fancy cages?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Hmmmm. mahn-tor is part of a larger zone which includes the ogre village and the woods. They've got a rivalry with the ogre village. They're not really a take prisoners kinda race. What they are for sure however is reclusive. It seems like this zone is really quite deliberately ridiculous. I think its totally ok for a minotaur to dress up like a paladin and even think he is one, but it doesnt mean he is one. If a race of people are reclusive enough, they'd probably not even be aware their own bullshit (I think this is actually true and the actual genius behind the area). As long as they arent actually casting heavenly wraths and stuff, or if they are, then you only need a mischievous god fucking with them and making them think its all their own doing. Maybe that's something we could add without needing to make any mob changes.

1 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

maybe we can fix the classes of the minotaurs and change them so they're each a different Berserker totem, and make sure the totems fit so like the one that has the ice staff, maybe its totem can have staff

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Yep love the idea of working in the berserker totems, they're actually animal trophies so theyd kill something to have one so its awesome

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: