Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 10 hours.

Is the game dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

ozaru, vocalizing this is detrimental and its been detrimental every time you've done it. You are entitled to your opinion but that's it. This negativity isn't serving anyone's goal. Its doomsaying and likely to do the opposite of what you want. A good community will attract players. There are still plenty of people looking. There are more people playing now than there was when the game first loaded up in 1997, and those people are way more experienced and the game is much better.

Its not like any of us are powerless to do anything about this. Why don't you try inviting and showing people to play? If you aren't contributing, that's ok, but you don't have to try hard to be less detrimental.

1 1
boo,
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject:

And dude, it's not like opening and balancing new classes and races can happen overnight. You're not bringing any solutions to the issue of player base size by bitching about it you're just coming off as a prick.

Give some concrete suggestions in a positive fashion or just shut up.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject:

My strategy to help the pbase is to have children and teach them and their friends to play AR when they are young and impressionable. It may mean I don't play in the meantime but it's kind of a longer-term strategy.

In ~fourteen years from now when you see six fire giants with the last name Bloodfist coming at you, you will know that this time has arrived.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject:

^-- playing the long game.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject:

You know what maybe the key is bringing in fresh blood. A lot of us know people who at least used to play.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:

the game had a lot of problems worth quitting the game over for a long time but it's probably worth checking out again now. Warlords are back and monks and druids and a bunch of nerfs were removed

now there are just like 1000 bugs to iron out and we've fixed most of the serious problems but there are a couple left to do. Like thieves still need to get a fix for adrenaline not being fun. But if you talk to any of these guys and they need something else fixed we missed post it

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Is the rock, paper, scissors combat module still in effect?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

The weapon type/style system still exists but many patches have been applied to address the problems it caused. It was a much bigger deal in the past than it is now.

It's more like "rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock" now. Cursed weapons and twohanded weapons throw some surprises into the mix

Thief balance is the next issue on my mind and I think Davairus' too. They're probably the class that gets hosed the worst by golf bag weapons, and they have the bad adrenaline patch to deal with too.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Do you mean that the ramifications for wielding a weapon/using a weapon style at a disadvantage are not as bad now?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

You can still get hosed by disarm, which keeps them potent. The main thing was losing dodge from hobble and the flee lags, and both of those things are taken care of.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject:

You know I am going to say a little more toward the original post which was this "Is the game dead".

Lets be rational about this guys. The game has had a lot of work and love put into it, and is still receiving that. We can be assured that's going to keep going into it. A little bit of doomsaying from ozaru and tayyah (the game is dead! the game is unbalanced! etc) is a little harmful to our current and prospective players and thats not good for us, but its also not really the big picture here. The bigpicture is AR sitting in a market of muds and its one of the best there is with a less stellar playerbase than worse muds have. Whether the WORLD decides to have another text games craze is another matter, and frankly out of our control, but we're one of the best muds on the internet. More generally, muds are amongst the most fun games that have EVER BEEN on the internet with the playerbase behind them to support them. These games are not given the recognition they deserve currently in our computer museums (I have personally been to the computer museum in silicon valley and seen this first hand), especially in the evolution of MMO's, but I am sure someday they will, and when they are given their proper recognition that will cause nerdy people to come looking. Without any sort of mainstream recognition like this, promoting mudding and making it look appealing is difficult, but I am convinced that this is an excellent game genre and I will always believe in it. MUDs will have another run. Or they may evolve, into virtual reality games. I am of the mind that the cheesy graphical MMOs' were not the step forward, because they have SHIT PVP. its games like rust that are the true advancement, and I think when those games hit the museums, too, then you will see people saying muds are the grandfathers of both of those games.

Also, MUDs will probably always be around because these graphical MMO are typically only enjoyable by people who have high spec PC's, whereas muds are available to anybody with the same gameplay. They also offer a richer roleplaying experience, and to be quite honest with you I prefer my imagination over any graphics, I'm not impressed with blocky sort of human looking graphics, I like using my imagination for severed heads plopping on the ground and crap.

How many people out there have you heard say "gee I want to play rust, but my computer is too slow." These are people who should play AR. Those were people you could recommended AR too.

Recently I restored the invokation.net logboard. I didn't even post about this on our website, I posted it to our facebook page. That post has gotten 180 unique impressions, 12 likes, and I didn't spend a dime to promote it. If you were trying to get someone to play because they couldnt play RUST, it would be cool to show them that page, and then they would see for themselves, the game has the potential to be equally as fun, and doesnt cost
a thing or need a beastly PC.

If you look at the way people play AR, its probably 99% of the time people play it alone. Why? Well you might say because its hard to find groupmates. But I see people who have available groupmates ALL THE TIME, not grouping. Explain that! I think we need to be realistic about the way we are. This is a game that people would rather play solo on. And its actually possible. The only reasons I group with anybody is because the mobs get hard. I would otherwise take the low exp and get my training. In that way, AR is superior to rust and games like it, because those games are emphasising strength in numbers, whereas AR Allows one to be a solo silent badass if they want to.

My point I want to make is this - the games growth is a matter of us marketing it well - WE ARE NOT, and it is giving us the results to show it. I absolutely believe in this game. I think it has a future. The game is fucking great fun. Of course, it is more fun with more people on. That isnt a bad thing, it means it will snowball again at some point. If we go about properly investing time in marketing it - word of mouth, voting, magazine articles whatever, it wil grow

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject:

people play alone because the game disincentivizes group play in a bunch of ways. Remember, back when we played we had to group with other players because if we tried to rank alone and got down to 50% hp we'd get ganked. We didn't used to be able to leave the guildhall without risking a pk. Remember when you used to get called a piece of shit in the forum if you attacked "guildmates", i.e. people of the same class, because everybody was terrified of the guild not being a safe room to write notes in and shit.

If there were empty areas in 1999 we would have been camped out in them alone for sure, especially at 50. Remember all the "hoarding" complaints about healers who had a heaven's gate past the kaddar faeries and shit?

But how do you make the game still AR without it being dangerous to be around other players?

the only thing that bothers me is when people act like this ^^^ is easy and we should be able to just do it with no effort, fuck that noise

like yeah I could add safe rooms and char restores and shit but then what, at what point does it stop being AR

this game is not easy and the people who play roleplaying games online right now are not the kind of competent people who can understand Abandoned Realms on the main

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject:

I still think putting the webclient on steam somehow is worth a shot but that sounds like work we haven't got time to do

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject:

Muahaha you should fix the glitches in the webclient first Wink please!

0 0 0
Niusan
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Hello there...

Marco! Any old times like me making a come back?!

0 0 0
Rothak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject:

If it makes you feel better Niusan, I’ve been here on and off. Currently on.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

Man, some things never change.

1 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

Legend.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: