Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 16 hours.

Orcs as playable race

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Interested?
Yes
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
No
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

Taor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Orcs as playable race

Not going to sugarcoat it or pitch it for you, just laying out the idea here for you to dissect if interested.

Post 1 will be the governing stats and race definitions.
Post 2 will be an idea for a unique twist of what makes orcish RP a different experience

I personally think it would be a fun idea to have a little orcish horde running through Serin every now and then. Cheers.

---------------------------------------------------

Orcs can be chaotic or neutral or lawful (orcs are used to structure of power and chain of command and obedience of superiors and Clan Law)

Orcs should always stick together and never betray the horde. That way they can actually become horde and hgod gang and bring the true Orcish fear into game.
Orcs who deceit the tribe and each other should be outcasted, orcs can only prove each other superior by battle challenges, if they want
another orcs loot or lead the warbands. The most badass orc will be the boss of other orcs so to say.

Stats:

Str: 22 (because of "might makes right" orcs train hard to become strong since childhood)

Int: 18 (Like a thick human)

Wis: 18 (Low life expectancy won't let them get too wise)

Dex: 20 (not overly nimble or slow, quite average, just like humans)

Con: 22 (Usually built like a bulky human, except Orcs are very familiar with pain, so more durable)

Total sum of stats same as no-bonus human/duergar.

Resistant to: disease (plagues etc because they are used to endure illness from living so closely stacked together)
Average vuln to light, small vuln to magic (orcs are too stupid to defend against magic)

Classes:

Warrior, Berserker, Ranger, Thief, Shaman, Druid

Starting Area/Temple Choice: Village north of Seringale only.

Special Devote:

When devoting after a player kill, you gain 5 damroll 5 hitroll for the duration of the cooldown or until logging off. - As a part of "bargain" with the Gods, more explained below.

To be continued in next post...

Last edited by Taor on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Taor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Part 2: RP twist "Orcs and Gods - It's a hate and hate relationship"
(We have so many pro-religion and devotion mechanics and RP focus, this is a little something for people who want to "let it all out" and hate everything including the gods Razz)

Orcs are dystheists. They believe that gods are apathetic at best, and
blatantly hateful at worst.

Orcs believe that the gods hate the world, and they hate orcs most of all.
So it is no wonder to them that the gods speak through violence (After a
battle, one would see the orcish blood-druids and shamans moving through the
battlefield, reading the future in spilled claret. They crawl through the
grass on all fours, like dogs, their faces pressed to the ground, nostrils
flaring.) And pain in different body parts. (A shooting pain in the leg is
an omen for cowardice. A dull ache between the shoulderblades foretells the
betrayal of a close friend and so on.)

The gods speak through scars. For an example, a proficient shaman can
examine the scar. Are they clean? Are they mottled? Is the scar raised?
Discolored? Does it follow the curve of the body, or does the flesh
struggle against it? Orcs do not trust a person without visible scars, just
as humans might not trust someone who refuses to reveal their name.

Orcs are the great iconoclasts. To them, the gods are either powerless or
great destroyers of the orcish race. After a warband conquers a city, each
orc will relieve themselves in the largest temple.

The gods of orcs are either ignored or hated. (Though typically cowardly,
orcs aren't big on fear of gods, even when they should be.) The gods aren't
worshipped. They are appeased. Or they are bargained with, like merchants
in the marketplace.

When you see a group of orcs chanting in one of their temples, they are not
scared or reverent. They are angry, because gods are the only opponents
that cannot be cut with an axe.

Temples make orcs angry, and anger makes orcs want to kill something. And
even the apathetic gods, who can sometimes be reasoned with, are only ever
asked for prowess in combat, because nothing else is worth praying for.
Nothing else is worth making the promises that gods demand. Blood for the
blood god. Skulls for the skull god. They often follow God Sakuragi for
their way of life matches the gods expectations to the fault.

As an example, a typical orcish prayer to the Blood God Davairus after a
victorious battle would be:

"Blood feeds the hungry earth.
Blood makes the grass grow green.
Blood has washed your brow and your dogs have lapped it up.
Now leave me alone."

Notes:

Orcs hate their gods almost as much as they hate themselves. This is
because the gods hate them. They believe themselves to be cursed: with
stupidity, with ugliness, and misfortune. How else could they continually
lose wars to those who are so much weaker than them?

(PS. There's "HELP ORC" helpfile for other RP aspects)

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject:

I am not interested in adding orc as a playable race to AR. Orcs in AR are pig monsters, not at all like an Orc from Elder Scrolls or Lord of the Rings.

I was strongly against custracing Taor as an orc and communicated to other imms that it should not be done before it was done.

I may yet decide to kill and eat Taor if I find that he is not appropriately roleplaying a Serin orc

1 0 0
Taor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject:

Taor was a special orc-case, as his over-extended background entries explain. He grew up different and was cursed/gifted from the start.

oink

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject:

yeah, so do all shitty characters. They all "grow up different" and are special snowflakes that totally don't represent the race. That's exactly what we don't want. You are not a special fucking snowflake. You are an orc. You eat slop and kill elves and have an intelligence score of 9

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject:

Orc has been shot down repeatedly and there are enough races that we're still trying to sort out, so we probably wont pursue it, but some of the other ideas are worth looking at, thanks for posting

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

well since the entire point of a MUD and RP is to have unique and different characters I'd say that doesn't make any sense nyc

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Orc seems fine for me based on lore, but I don't want to end up with 30 race options at creation, either. Seems like duergar fills pretty much every unique role an orc could from a race/class standpoint, and there's already a human-based custom race open for purely rp flavor.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

I am not a fan of Orcs becoming mainstream in AR. Also, 22 is too high a strength limit if you ask me (should it even be implemented, which I highly doubt will happen). 21 is a reasonable limit for medium sized characters; from what I remember, dwarves maximum strength went down from 22 to 21 a few years ago because 22 was too high.

And yeah, the stats seem too similar to a duergar in general, but the vulnerabilities would suggest somebody is trying to make a race more like a giant. What size is an orc anyway? The ones I am familiar with (Tolkien) are six feet tall and are almost permanently bent over (so roughly human).

I am not an especially big fan of the idea of a tribe of orcs. It could turn into a clan, and we already have enough variety in the form of cabals in AR. Hell, we barely have enough characters in cabals as it is.

Finally, "special" can mean a number of things, including not-so-positive ones. Special might mean exceptionally bad for example.

Edit: also, you put the poll in the wrong location. There is a section of the forum devoted to polls.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject:

I keep hearing about Imms eating players and have no idea what it means. Do I want to know what it means or is this one of those things that if you never find out that’s a good thing?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject:

Vanisse is famed for it . There are logs of her eating Calram who got stuck in her tummy. And someone else who was a vegetarian and the only way out was to eat a fish. You do not want to get ate.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject:

I don't get it. You have the Great War focused around Elves and Orcs but you depict Orcs as "pig monsters" who don't fit the lore of your game. Orc is much more prevalent than Duergar in a lot of ways, this just seems like you're shitting on an individual character.

The same thing happened to me when I had a Tiefling, and then you guys, after giving me the custrace, said oh no, sorry, but this doesn't fit the lore. So you took it away after I ranked to 50 and built the character, so it was essentially ruined after that. and that is when you guys said that custraces can be a race of anything that is already in game. Let's talk about that.

Maybe we can save a lot of time by making a list. That way people don't spend countless hours on a character to only have it ruined because one or two Immortals didn't think it was such a good idea after the process. Diversity is golden, not saying grab 30 races, but 23 is cool. You already have most of the legit ones.

0 0 1
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject:

tieflings don't exist in AR at all. There is no such race and no such word. The closest equivalent is a Fell. There is no comparison between a player having a custom race of Tiefling vs a custom race of Orc. Orc is bad, but Tiefling is not even up for evaluation. I am worried that a (NEW) player playing an Orc will not roleplay it properly for AR, and will instead roleplay an orc from other games and stories they have experienced. I also think there is a high likelihood that other players will respond to and interact with the orc player incorrectly and roleplay with it as if it were an orc were from other games and stories, even if the orc player did roleplay correctly. This will affect the experience of every player in the game negatively in some manner.

you guys have to try to understand what other players think and experience when they encounter your bullshit and how it affects the experience you will have playing your character. A custom race on the who list by itself is already evidence of drama queen behavior. Think about it from the perspective of normal characters that have to interact with you.

You cannot compare this drama queen attention seeking behavior of wanting to be an Orc or a Tiefling to players who want their race to show up as Pikeman in the Who list because they want to be one of the dudes from the Ford, or wanted to be a one eyed Fire Giant called a Cyclops, or some of the other legitimate examples of use of custom races I've seen.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject:

Actually I’m with Nycticora on this one. Mobs in this game don’t always follow the same lore as creatures with the same name. Ever read a kobold description? Different than D&D and pretty much everything else (seriously wtf, I think of a semi-sentient lobster when I read the description). Vampires in Stephen King’s universe are different than Anne Rice, or Bram Stroker or Twilight (didn’t want to leave out your favorite). This stuff is already established and it breaks immersion to change it. It’s not that your idea is bad (strength is too high for a medium creature, I agree) it’s just it doesn’t work with this universe because people are going to treat your orcs like Tolkien or WoW orcs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Taor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject:

I have 13 chapters in my background explaining why I am a bit different than the other pig-peons of mountain village.

I do my best to RP the character accordingly, as per "HELP ORC" states.

Orcs were intelligent enough to fight the Great War against Elves in Greginsham, they are part of AR lore.

Not writing this to argue, simply saying that it's not an half-assed attempt to copy an Orc from Lotr or Elder Scrolls. Especially if you read the second part of my original post here, it's far from a conventional Orc and fits the mindset of brutes we have in mountain trail.

Sorry if you see it otherwise, I did not mean to screw up the experience for anyone. Hopefully those who have interacted with Taor do enjoy it.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject:

i been drinkin again

i voted yes, but whatevs[/quote]

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Yeah so, I don't care about what happened to the Tiefling, I just remember at the time the character getting ruined for me after all the time I invested in it, that is when you guys put in the helpfile that it had to be races in the game. It's unrealistic to stereotype every single person who makes a custrace by claiming you have some insight to know they are whacked drama queens, thats just stupid. People create custom races to enrich their roleplaying experience not to facebook, and maybe you see patterns with some folk that lead you to think this, but I can assure you when I create t hem I'm not thinking "oh looky at me". It's an extension of the roleplay, its a restring, that is all it is, and I remember being let down by this once I found out what custrace really was, an obsolete restring. I thought at least you guys would alter the stats in a minor way, to make it fit the desired race. But you guys are doing you and I can respect that.

It's just strange you don't go with the Orc having it deeply involved in your lore, but I can see a pig monster Orc thing. Just makes me think of duke nukem, which is comical. But the votes do speak for themselves, again, I'm not taking up for this Orc, but I like the idea of having variety, whether thats with pathways, races, classes, eq, religions, etc. It can't be any harder to roleplay an Orc than it is an Illithid. I think it is one of the more common races that you guys are lacking, but with all that being said, I don't know how much I agree with the lore of the Orc in what was shared. I just hope I live long enough to see thief pathways

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:

It’s good that this stuff comes up because it shows how much we care about rp and immersion. Taor it sucks that this didn’t work out like you’d planned, you clearly put a lot of time and effort in to it.

0 0 0
Taor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Adjust. Adapt. Overcome.

Taor is still shaping into proper sculpt. It's as new experience for me as it is to others and I am trying my best to live up to the standards.

Main obstacle is that people perceive him differently, because I'm pretty sure most won't bother reading through my background entries to have a clearer picture about him.

He's an Orc through and through, but infused by an entity that craves blood magic. All the magis and elves drained will keep Taor's wits sharp and his intelligence human-like. When he won't be getting PK kills, he starts deteriorating.
It's probably hard to see it, but that's how I have been playing him. I can have an intelligent conversation after killing an intelligent magi or if I haven't done so for a while, I will be just grunting and snorting about.

I didn't ever want to be called a special snowflake with special race, I just felt that Orcs are underappreciated because I've been reading all of AR lore and seen them mentioned several times, yet they have been unrepresented in the game completely besides teeth necklace lootpigs.

Wanted to bring some Orc into your life, sue me.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Not sure that we have a list somewhere of what's gotten rejected but obviously there are orcs on the orc mountains and any rejection argument that says orc doesnt fit the setting is ignoring that. We might say its a race we've decided isn't special enough to be allowed to be a PC, but not that it doesnt fit the setting.

From HELP CUSTOM RACE:
"custom race must be of a mob that exists in the game"

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: