Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 10 hours.

All Lights Burn Out

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you think about it if all lights burned out
this idea fills me with rage
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
this is a waste of time
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
I don't like it
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
I don't care
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
sounds cool
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
add even more darkness stuff besides this
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: All Lights Burn Out

Hey players,

What would you think if all lights, even rare ones, burned out after awhile and you always had to be careful to carry candles and stuff when you went on long expeditions like ranking or to winter

I've been hearing lots of complaining about stuff like ranking being too fast, I think needing to manage more stuff like this could be an interesting way to slow it down. Could also add a new method of lethality to the game (catch a guy with no candles at night).

Not sure what to do about all the existing rare lights to preserve them and their stats and power levels. Maybe they would all need to take fuel or something.

there could also be some skills that extinguish the target's light or use up all the fuel in it. Refueling could be like a 2 round thing you would have to do while running if someone was chasing you.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject:

also I think we were talking about making all horses only pilotable with the trot/gallop commands and maybe making boats like that too

might as well talk about that now also, these would all be pretty unusual things like we haven't done before ever that would have implications on pk

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject:

not to sound like an uber douche here but fuck no on both the ideas. you already made it so we have to wear a ring or wtf ever to even have a boat, and now your trynna make us blind as fck while running?? like nahhh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
phredjoenz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject:

I guess I'm wondering how that would work out in fairness, since there are mage classes that can just cast light (continual light) at the drop of a hat.

So is the suggestion then including the idea that Continual light be changed and have a duration of more like 24 hours or something?
I definitely wouldn't want to see both things happen, because for sure, if you're trying to run away, and your light has gone out, then you need to use the boat....blah, blah, blah sounds like potential for severe disadvantage for some character types.

Am I way off in my thoughts about that?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

yeah the summoned continual light would decay after a certain number of ticks and it would need to be recast, like create food

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

This would essentially add another prep/consumable for non-casters to stock, so I vote no. I'm not opposed to doing something cool with a magical darkness spell, though.

Bladefurry, you know if you don't like a worn item that grants waterwalking that there's tons of boats in the game, right? Also, there's an item like the one you remember from HToS still in the game.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

the boats are like 15-45 pounds. i just use the boots from the turtle dragon and it adds water walking cause i don't fuck around with being summoned to a water area without a boat and end up getting blind thats just asking to be humped and dumped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Boats are heavy, but the quoted weight still sounds light vs reality....

I'm opposed to rare lights burning out, but it would be nice if that felt like a worthwhile upgrade, so maybe some more nonmagical ones could burn. At thd end though, food and water is enough to juggle. I dont want to see newbs starve cause they can't see their duck.

0 0 0
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject:

nooooo.

+1 just another prep/consumable

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject:

I think some of you guys are overreacting just a LITTLE bit.

1) We wouldn't allow lights to be something you just light and it goes out in 40 ticks and rots like seringale war banners, thats obviously total crap. It would need to be doing stuff like only deducting time if you actually needed to use the light, which is a change we would have to do because otherwise people would be deliberately removing their lights, which isn't fun. We would make sure this is optimal. People in groups would be sharing their leaders light, people with druids using a controlled flame would not need to worry about lights at all, and I would make sure that is all magic'ed away for you.

2) If you have an infravision race, you can wear the light for its stats and extinguish it to creep around in the dark. There is already spells of infravision. There are classes with spells to create torches. It is not like anyone is pulling the rug out from you guys.

3) We would make sure our shops are stocked with torches and you just type 'consume torch' or something to refill the light hours.

3) Recognizing the extra mental burden of this (I get that's going to be a pain, even with knowing we already have unused solutions), we would probably have to make hunger and thirst go a bit slower or something, so it isn't like you are really doing anything new here, but now instead of eating and drinking every 20 ticks you would be eating and drinking every 40 ticks and filling your light after having it burn for 3 days straight.

I'm sure that is the bare minimum of what we would have to do to fairly implement it, and then we get into the fun, like you have to worry about crossing water without a boat because your torches will dampen and be fucked, and I also know of some druid spells that soak people.

There are games I have used with torches in them, and I felt it was cool. I thought it was a meritable idea. I think anyone who responded to it with like "rage" has really just reacted instead of responding to consider how this affects the playing field in ways, a lot of which I do see positive.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject:

raging is fun

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Yes raging definitely is very fun, I've seen some players get very embarrassed and ashamed about it and I don't think they need to be. AR's obviously a place to blow off some steam. I just question whether thats really useful in ideas threads. I felt I saw people in this thread jumping the gun and a really good idea getting snuffed a bit too quickly in my opinion. Maybe having the poll option egged it on a bit, but still, we as a community seem kind of rigid. I would think an organic discussion lead somewhere interesting even if the original idea sucks nuts.

ideas are easy to neg, but I'm sure someone once said if god wanted us to fly he would have given us wings, and a lot of people nodded in agreement and said what a dumbass that guy is trying to build a flying car

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I think it would be really cool if you had to actually sit in the boat and row east, and rowing used mv like moving.

Sailing a sailboat wouldn't require mv and it would be faster.

There could be big ass ships that could sail in the ocean or in the sky castle clouds and have decks that are multiple rooms.

We could add swimming that would be slow but could get you out of some water even if you had no boat (unless you're a dwarf or duergar)

maybe you could use a ship to get from the dragon sea to the sky castle and to some other places, but you should have to pilot it and own it

0 0 0
phredjoenz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject:

Even though I rarely play Warrior-type classes, that was my main concern was even more disadvantages to being a non-spell caster.

If we're talking about extending the # of ticks on Hunger and thirst, than that's not nearly as big of a deal though. It probably would sway my vote From "I don't think so" to "Why the heck not".

Opinion about other comments:
1) "Sailing a sailboat wouldn't require mv and it would be faster."
I don't see why Sailing would be faster than rowing necessarily, but I could see creating a nautical type skill to enable one to use a sailboat without it taking mv instead of having to row. Otherwise I woudl think that an unskilled sailor should have to eat some mv. It's harder than people think, haha(and no I can't sail) Likewise I'd think that the amount of MV usage for rowing be affected by Str and/or Dex Stats.

2) "We could add swimming that would be slow but could get you out of some water even if you had no boat"
My only thing about this is, go ahead, you try and swim in some heavy ass plate mail, carrying 250 lbs of gear. If this was ever put in, there should be a chance to lose things in your inventory because they simply float away. That would really screw with people. (Only a half serious suggestion there, I'd be shocked to see anything of the sort happen, just though it was an interesting aside.)

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: