Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Recovering the Lost Arcane Relics" is underway, and ends in 3 days, 12 hours.

[2018 Q3] Player Housing, Item Crafting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Well, the one thing that came to mind when I was thinking about this concept is this: it has the potential to be end-game content. There is only so much hack and slash you can do, or things besides raiding and PKing.

I am thinking about the following classes and their potential:

1: Necromancers. I could totally see them building a graveyard (especially with enough extensions), or a mausoleum. I can already visualize a seven room lair.

2: Invokers. They can probably do stuff like have a castle or dwelling made of the elements. Perhaps it has literal fire walls, or it could be an underwater dwelling perhaps (potentially with air inside). Or maybe it is on a mountain and the elemental forces are all around it (perhaps it is on an extinct volcano or something...).

3: Illusionists. They have SO much potential with their lairs. Something along the lines of the Tower of Illusion is just the beginning... Perhaps their rooms can have a bit of colored text or something. Or there is the possibility that being inside their lairs means you get the equivalent of being stoned without the funny speech. I could totally see a chaotic illusionist with a disco globe in his or her house inside a ballroom which may be the main room.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I think lairs are an absolutely amazing idea.

I think I can speak confidently for us old timers here that we are always looking forward to new ways to add depth to our characters and long term roleplay.

1. I think that lairs should be expensive (50k? maybe more), so that not everyone should be able to just log in and buy one. It needs to be something special, unique to your character, and I think a high price tag would go well. Then you can pay to add additional rooms, in addition to whatever number it defaults to.

2. I think as far as it being able to burnt down that we should make that very difficult for higher tier houses (i.e. would take a whole group at 50 with patience).

3. You could have the option to hire NPCs for long periods of time to populate it, 1 month IRL or something. This could be extra guards, or maybe minstrels, maybe a custom NPC? (I'm thinking maybe a barkeep for private bars?)

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Also, I think survivability of these is going to be paramount- Survival through reboots, etc. If we spend hours into these, they should be able to persevere.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject:

I spent today setting up room types and workshop stats.

A lair room renovation item is an item you can buy or loot or find or craft (whatever, it's just a new item type). It can have some extra info about its room type tacked onto it. If you're in your lair and have free rooms you can deploy the renovation. It will either finish the current room (if unfinished) or make a new room and exits in both directions.

The extra room type info right now is:
Size (i.e. 75 cubic meters)
Level (let's keep this on a simple 1 2 3 scale for now where level 1 is the new stuff we make now and level 2 hasn't been invented yet)
Type (we can have as many types as we want, this has to be stuff like "kitchen" "bathroom" "basement" etc. and each room type has to have a purpose of some kind. Like maybe cooking items take up 20% less space in a kitchen. There should only be a few of these, less than 10)
Name (the name of the room after the renovation is deployed, like "A Pirate Kitchen")

we could still cram more information into rooms if we want to

I was thinking I want to have some water physics associated with this stuff. Like, I want there to be a water reservoir and I should be able to take a shower. But not if it ran out of water, or if I used it up already.

I kind of want to do power too. There are two kinds of power I was thinking of. We could do windmill/waterwheel for mechanical power and a steam engine that runs on water and firewood or some other fuel for some more hard core power. I want some feedback before I go off on that though because it might not be a good idea.

I also added refrigerators. Food and corpses stored inside won't rot, and potions won't evaporate. There are no refrigerators yet, I just added the ability to make them.

0 0 0
Horblest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Shroom dust

I like all these ideas! Can we craft magic mushrooms into shroom dust for longer duration shroomed effect? Shocked

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

absolutely, that's the best idea I've ever heard

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

Today I added the ability to DEPLOY furniture and containers to your lairs.

Here is some information about lair deployables:

• You can deploy any furniture item you can pick up (like a chair, a table, a bed, or a sleeping bag).
  • You can deploy any container you can pick up (like a Big 'ol Pack Sack, a treasure chest, or the herb grinder sold by Yarbok).
  • Crafting items like the herb grinder will be made unreasonably heavy to carry around with you everywhere.
  • These items may only be deployed in your lair, by you.
  • One of each item can be deployed, you can't deploy two Big 'ol Pack Sacks or two sleeping bags, but you can deploy a Big 'ol Pack Sack and a sleeping bag.
  • A container with stuff inside it can't be deployed.
  • The TAKE flag is removed from an item when deployed.
  • A deployed item receives the NO_SAC flag.
  • A container may be smashed by anyone in the lair, destroying it and dumping the objects inside.
  • When an item is deployed, a reset is added to the room so the item will always be repopped in your lair even if the game crashes badly or if the container is smashed.
  • Items inside a lair container will not be saved when the game crashes badly.
  • We can discuss whether or not to try harder to save items in the event of a crash. It's a tradeoff, if we make items save more aggressively we cause problems in other areas (duping bugs, etc.)
  • We can discuss whether or not to allow upgrading containers so they can be locked or unsmashable.
  • Reminder: the only protection available on a lair currently is locking the door. The lock can currently be picked. We can also discuss this in the future.

I've also added the ability to RECLAIM deployed furniture and containers.

• If a deployed item exists in your lair, you can RECLAIM it.
  • Reclaiming removes the reset from the room and collects the item.
  • Items may only be reclaimed in your lair, by you.
  • The TAKE flag is restored to the item, and it can again be picked up and dropped.
  • The NO_SAC flag is NOT restored, so an item which has been previously deployed may not be sacrificed. I should probably fix this.
  • Only furniture and containers can be reclaimed, not rooms or renovations.

Still left to do before launch:

1. Need to add a mechanic to restrict the number of items you can put in a room. I think the default room will have a size of 75 cubic meters, and items will "use up" that space. A random piece of furniture will consume 5 cubic meters worth of space. A random container will consume 10 cubic meters worth of space. A random crafting station will consume 20 cubic meters worth of space. Specific items can have "workshop data" attached to them that will specify exactly how much space they may consume, among other things.

2. Need to add a mechanic to abandon or destroy a lair. In order to build a larger lair with more rooms, players will have to either abandon or destroy their old lair before they can make a new one. They will be able to collect deployables and move them, but will not be able to move their rooms or room upgrades. At launch, an enemy player will not be able to burn down or steal your lair but we can discuss adding this in the future.

...and that's it. I'm still looking for ideas for the two remaining unimplemented systems. We launch on Oct. 12

We'll be able to add new lairs, new crafting items and new recipes post-launch, while the patch is live. That is all done via OLC, the same way we change items in the game already, so it's not very difficult. We'll still be taking suggestions for crafting systems, ways to generate power, fuel, etc. after October.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

fixed the nosac thing, it seemed like it was going to be a problem if people could create nosac sacks

oh right and don't let me forget to disable tornadoes in lairs so someone doesn't blow your stuff into adjacent rooms and let you have more of it

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject:

Today I spent some time hardening lairs and adding a boatload of error checking so they'll be less likely to crash the game. This is a massive update and I will surely miss some things, but I'm fairly sure we can fix whatever breaks. And I synced AR's current areas so in the worst case scenario if an area outside the lair areas gets corrupted by something terrible I did, we can roll back without losing anything important.

I also added a "makeworkshop" command that immortals can use to quickly create new workshop data for Lair Room items, furniture, and crafting stations. This command has a bunch of feedback to help imms who can't easily read the code to create valid workshops and tools.

Room types for launch are now locked in. Room types will be:
  • Living Room
  • Bedroom
  • Kitchen
  • Closet
  • Woodshop
  • Mausoleum

The default room size will be 30 cubic meters.

A standard, default piece of furniture or a container will consume 5 cubic meters worth of space.

A standard, default crafting station will consume 10 cubic meters worth of space.

If the item's Workshop Data matches the room's Workshop Data (i.e. you're putting an oven in the kitchen), you will get a discount on the amount of space the item consumes. So, more Kitchen items will be placeable in a Kitchen than in a Living Room.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

Today I got the last backend pieces I can do prior to playtesting done.

I worked on a new command, "torch", that will let you burn down your lair. When you use the "torch" command on your outside lair door, you'll set it ablaze and it will start burning down. 5 ticks later, the door will burn to ashes. Each tick, there's a 20% chance the burning lair will emit a plume of smoke to the area it's in. You'll need to burn down your lair if you craft or loot a better lair that can contain more rooms, or has a cooler front door, before you can place your new lair. Each player may only have one lair.

Later we can modify these mechanics so we can let other nearby players know when nearby lairs are vandalized or destroyed. The amount of time the lair takes to burn and the nag factor of area alerts can be modified.

I added the ability to deploy a new room over an existing room so you can upgrade your lair's rooms with larger or different rooms you buy, craft, or loot. In order to place a room upgrade in the current room, you need to use the command "deploy <room kit> here". This is similar to deploying adjacent rooms via "deploy <room kit> north" etc. Rooms can only be renovated when there is no furniture and are no crafting stations deployed in the room.

Actually while I was typing this I realize I didn't enable a check on "deploy" yet to see if the room is full, so players can deploy an unlimited number of items into the lair still. So, I have to do that one last thing and we can push to main and start testing. We'll open it up to players on the 12th and you guys can start building houses. I'll be around and online to take feature requests and work on crafting systems and recipes.

Some things will probably be a little broken and I might have to reboot a few times over the weekend.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

I feel like these entries will one day be found in some mud about mudding in an area entitled Nycticora's Den of Coding and players will find these diary entries kind of like the ones in armageddon or wherever we have them. I wonder how this story ends.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

last call for lair ideas

the lairs I plan to launch tomorrow are the hovel, the most basic of level 1 lairs, and the log cabin, a slightly larger but more difficult to assemble version

the log cabin will become available as I implement the crafting stations you'll be able to deploy in your lairs over the weekend

if you build a hovel or a log cabin and later want to upgrade after new lairs are discovered through exploration or added to Yarbok's store, you'll be able to torch your lair and upgrade it. But if you want something specific like a house with a certain kind of description for a character you are thinking about making, now is the time to request it

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

Today I implemented some helper functions to check to see how much free space is available in a lair and how much space an item would use if deployed in the current room. I also added a check to the DEPLOY command so only a certain amount of furniture will fit in the room, depending on how big the room is and how much furniture is already inside it as well as the room's type (more kitchen items can fit in a kitchen, more furniture items can fit in a bedroom or living room, more containers can fit in a closet, etc).

All core lair functionality required to deploy a lair, build rooms, customize room descs, customize room titles, and place player-owned items in lairs is complete. We'll push to the main port tomorrow and playtest through the weekend while working on creating furniture and crafting recipes.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject:

lairs are live. You can buy a lair at Yarbok, in which you can build up to 3 rooms. You should be able to place it in any hills or field area type. Let me know if you have any problems.

There should be some furniture somewhere you can pick up and put in your lair. If you are roaming around and find a table or something you want to have in-game, and want to pick it up and take it home, pray and I'll come fix it so it's collectable.

We'll also add crafting recipes and more furniture items for sale in stores and stuff over time. I'll be online most of the weekend doing it. We're doing helpfiles and stuff now.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject:

Last night Davairus and I spent some time adding a new kind of object prog to the game so players can craft with a piece of furniture like a workbench by typing "craft axe" or similar, provided the proper items have been placed on top of the furniture.

Today I added a sepulcher for necromancers to store corpses in (belongs in a mausoleum-type room).

I also added a primitive furnace (belongs in a woodshop-type room) and a pickaxe, which can be purchased from Yarbok. The primitive furnace can be deployed in your lair. When fueled with firewood and lit, it will burn fuel at a rate of approx. one firewood per 10 ticks. It processes iron flakes into iron ingots. Iron flakes and stone can be obtained by using the pickaxe on rock outcroppings, which can be found near the choppable pine trees west of Seringale.

Next I'm working on a workbench (belongs in a woodshop-type room) which players will be able to craft the primitive furnace at using the stone. We can also add other items that can be crafted at the workbench, like beds and tables and chairs and hammers and nails.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Added a flower pot which can be purchased from Yarbok.

If the flower pot is deployed in any room, you'll be able to plant an herb in that room as if it were a field. If the flower pot is picked up with RECLAIM while the herb is still growing, the seed will be destroyed.

I'm working on the workbench and adding some crafting recipes to the game, and have encountered two big problems:

1: storm giants can't touch wood
2: elves can't touch iron

Dav also pointed out it's a little freaky to reach in a burning oven and take out the freshly melted iron ingot with your bare hands. We're going to need some kind of tongs that you can use to pick something up from a container to transfer it to another container.

0 0 0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: