Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 16 hours.

New item/quest line suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: New item/quest line suggestion

Has this thought when writing the other post. Would it be possible to improve lower level quest gear via a quest chain? Take the bars to apprentices in Timeran for example. Do the quest., you get the gear. What if the apprentice gave you another chain quest. (Come back when you are more powerful, I may be able to improve my creation a bit when I’ve learned more.)
They send you off on a fetch quest for a couple materials, and hand you back a slightly improved item, maybe a little less penallty, avg dam increase up a couple points, etc. This could be repeated a couple of times, with the final quest upgrade ending right around the equivalent of a low or even mid level rare, depending on the starting level of the quest chain.

A mithril sword for example I think is flat 12 avg dmg. It could be improved to an avg 14 or 15 once, maybe 16 or 17 after a second chain, and then maybe the master could give it a 1 or 2 layer enchantment as a final chain quest.

Pros- neat flair for non rare gear, a sense of accomplishment for doing work in game, a great way to add in some new gear without having to create new mobs or areas to carry them.

Cons- Coding new gear is a pain? May not be found useful by player base as ‘too much work for too little reward’. Designing quests is a lot of work?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I think we have had this in the game a while already, because it sounds like the Warlord forge weapon skill. I think maybe it is a Keeper cabal power now.

There was definitely supposed to be an enchanter added with the druid crystals + lava pit, let me know if that is not the case.

I don't feel opposed to a general upgrade for physical and low average low level weapons, but it does concern for these reasons, which I think we've already experienced before:

A) The possibility of it gets opened up to magic weapons in the future so that certain race/class combos suffer very badly (e.g. upgraded water cubes)
B) Going the path of upgrading weapons should be much easier said than done. I think if you are going to upgrade your chieftain sceptre into the stats of huge stone club or something, it should require fighting a level 40 mob or do something equally risky as just getting huge stone club. A more crafty way to do this would be the user attaches an upgrade gem and powers up the gem by killing 12+ mobs that give at least 100+ experience points a pop. But thats still easier. 'boss fights' hold an important place in the genre - it might feel too cheap to get better weapons without taking on a serious boss fight

There is no real trouble adding quests, its having them make the game more fun that's the hard part. I think more quests that teach game mechanics would be good. I think maybe we need to prune a few before this would be helpful to add

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: