Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
 Current Top Five Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Judge Auhror - Presumably Mortal Leader of Justice?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Wasteland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Judge Auhror - Presumably Mortal Leader of Justice?

All,

His name is Judge Auhror, and this REALLY broke immersion for me as this is one of the most popular types of characters in the Harry Potter franchise.

An Auror is "a Dark wizard catcher". They are an elite group of witches and wizards, loyal to the Ministry of Magic, whose mission is to fight against and capture the forces of the Dark Arts.

https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Auror

So the Justice... is a Dark wizard catcher....

Isn't this a violation of the naming rules? It certainly seems to be a violation of the last rule, as this is an extremely popular work of fiction. I would like to request that this character's name be changed to preserve the roleplaying experience of all in Serin.

Thank you.

1 1
boo,
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Please read HELP NAME and consider why this character’s name has never needed to be changed in the 2+ years it has been around.

0 1
boo,
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Certainly open to being correct, but what am I missing? Sorry if there's something glaring here that I'm not seeing.

* A name from a popular work of fiction - books, movies, TV, video games.

Note that, for the final category, it will only be renamed if an inquiry
comes from the playerbase.

It sounds like there just haven't been any Harry Potter fans, from what I can see. The name is clearly attempting to be Auror?

1 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Or it's a coincidence.

0 1
boo,
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

In my head I’ve always pronounced the Potter auror as “ORE-er” and the Justice’s name as “OH-heh-rar”; the key difference being the noticeable H exhale in Auhror’s name. Also the spelling is different enough that it doesn’t break the rule of a name from a popular work of fiction.

I’m sorry it breaks immersion for you, I know that sucks when that happens. We try to catch these early in the offending character’s lifetime so as to avoid the player investing a bunch of heart and soul into a character that then needs to be altered. Auhror has been around for so long with this name that changing it now would be counterproductive.

0 1
boo,
Nycticora
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject:

this guy is only bitching because I renamed the character he named after https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Abaddon and he's trying to cause problems

1 0 0
Nadrin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject:

This character is 2 plus years old. I have read harry potter several times, and I have no issue with it. As it is, I do not for a second think a 2+year old character should be renamed. THAT would break my immersion.

You were so scary and such a good killer. I never would have guessed you were female.

0 1
boo,
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

No, Auhror is NOT the mortal leader of Justice. From what I recall he's Captain rank (Jorax is the last Commander whose name I recall explicitly).

0 0 0
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject:

Nyc - I'm trying to understand where the "do as I say not as I do" line is. I'd also honestly be a lot happier in life if I never had to read or type your name again, so please - bugger off. (Also, I have no clue what Warhammer is and have very explicitly explained my position on my name, which has naught to do with your claim).

So if I'm understanding the rules here, it's don't lift something directly from fiction, but add or remove a letter, it should be good. Right?

Nyticorax = Nycticora

Auror = Auhror

So, I can go ahead and make...

Haree Pawter? I mean, I pronounce that a little differently that I would some other piece of fiction that might coincidentally be similar. I pronounce this "HARee PAWtair".

The character might be two years old, but I've never seen him online... Abaddon six months old and was on all the time.

What is the difference?

1 0 1
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject:

Also, I love that we've glossed over the irony that Auhror is a JUSTICE cabal member. What did Aurors do in Harry Potter? Hmm...

That, in addition to the name, is evidence that this is very specifically an "Auror" character, lifted directly from a popular work of fiction.

What DOESN'T point to a direct lift from the HP Franchise?

1 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject:

You need a hug.

0 1
boo,
tayyah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

actually this name has bothered me too it is awfully close to being what he says it is. it's probably on par with me getting denied for kcirtap

1 0 0
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Again, more evidence that the Immortals of Abandoned Realms will say and do as they please and selectively hold individuals to specific rules or expectations.

Super disappointing.

If I got the responses I have gotten from the Immortals here in any other game, they would be fired in a heartbeat. Good thing you maintain a game just for you and your friends, right?

Sounds like I should make some new characters. Here are some cool naming ideas that I've come up with that fit the rules you've outlined here:

Haree Pawter
Jesys Chryst
Gawd
Jayarr Tollkin
Gyorge Arrrrmartin

What do you think? Pretty good, right?

I've conveniently got RP plans behind each of them, backgrounds and descriptions written for me, and I don't have to do ANY of that work.

If I were to get banned or forced to change names on these characters, you would be in direct contradiction to this thread and I would have additional documented proof of favoritism.

So, what's the real story here? Don't want to admit you're wrong? Don't want to admit to the level of shady shit the Immortals do?

1 0 1
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Dude, chill the fuck out and stay in your lane. Just cause someone pissed in your river doesn't mean you need to piss in mine.

0 1
boo,
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

ROFL. My "lane"? Please, by all means, random person on the internet. Tell me all about staying in my lane. If you don't have something to add to the conversation, see your way out.

I have yet to receive a thoughtful response to this rules violation flag.

1 0 1
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject:

I gave you a thoughtful response, here it is again:

Code:
In my head I’ve always pronounced the Potter auror as “ORE-er” and the Justice’s name as “OH-heh-rar”; the key difference being the noticeable H exhale in Auhror’s name. Also the spelling is different enough that it doesn’t break the rule of a name from a popular work of fiction.

I’m sorry it breaks immersion for you, I know that sucks when that happens. We try to catch these early in the offending character’s lifetime so as to avoid the player investing a bunch of heart and soul into a character that then needs to be altered. Auhror has been around for so long with this name that changing it now would be counterproductive.

0 1
boo,
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Not one player has logged an in-game inquiry about the name, including you. Flaming the forum is not an appropriate outlet for whatever "this" is.

0 1
boo,
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Wasteland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: