Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 16 hours.

New item suggestion mid level shields with bonus health

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: New item suggestion mid level shields with bonus health

I was trolling the codex this morning and noticed that there were looks to be a gap in mid level shields. Most revolve around hit and dam, and some with saves, but almost none appear to give a raw boost to health. I would propose a couple shields around levels 20-40 , mid level ac, lighter penalties than say, shield of defense, with a bit more health added to them. The gambled earth
line of gear comes to mind (ish? Caster centric shields maybe) as a baseline, just more level appropriate.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

It sounds fine to me

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

How about adding an ebony shield to strange old man's wares. A level 30 item sounds right. Other idea is bring back shield of defense as an award in the learning tower, drop the set item tag, but make it an award for helping or killing Sedgwick or whatever that guys name is.

On the subject of shields I suggest the silver shield etched with a bear or fine dwarven shield. Bother are decent and easily attainable if you know them little secrets.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

since someone already made a new EQ thread im not going to. I think we need some different axe around. the bejewelled battle axe is okay but easily obtainable at rank 35 or above. the axes that you get from baron wilderness are two handed and it sucks because there are no magical axes at all. The axe that use to be decent was kingslayer but is no longer available. Perhaps we could intergrate some new axe choices maybe a magical one or revamp some of the ones that are in baron wilderness to be 1 handed less overall damage but still wild. I see tons of daggers maces flails whips swords etc that are magical in damage but no axes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject:

Bladefurry, it's the BARREN Wilderness, not the baron wilderness. Learn your homonyms!

Putting that aside... I agree that having a mid-level shield which gives health and AC would be nice. The giant sauce pan from the White Queen was something I used at one point due to its relatively high magic AC.

As for axes, what kind of magical axe can you even think of to begin with? Axes are almost always cleaving (slash AC/damage) weapons, whether this is a chop, a cleave, or a slash, etc. One possibility I could think of (but this is taking loosely from D&D, and also more directly from Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup) is having a frost giant's battleaxe with a freezing bite.

0 0 1
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject:

you been trolling me for so fucking luck blackwidow you are like my fan<3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject:

Daryth the Giant Priest now wields the axe of bladed fury

1 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject:

someone chip in with shield ideas

what we need is:

level, short desc (what you see when wearing), long desc (what you see on ground), what mob it should be on or where it should be, and any special stats or abilities it should have

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Was giving a giant priest a 5 pound one-handed axe an April Fools' Day prank or something?

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

i hope not

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

what's wrong with a giant wearing a 5lb onehanded axe? The largest battle axe known to man is around 7lbs.

Nerf it if it's OP. Nothing wrong with a giant priest having an axe though, he's not a shaman and he's not a healer.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

As for a shield, if I'm understanding correctly they want one that boosts hp in the midlevel range? What about just finding one of the many we have in that range that add hit or dam or saves and just giving it a new name(if the current one doesn't work) and throw on hp instead? Might be easier to make work. My initial thought was shield of defense, but that one has some -hit/dam and casts armor as well. Maybe a non-op tweak there?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

I think it makes sense to iterate over commonly-used weapons. For instance, we have curved long swords and swiftbirds, and heron mark blades, and that's an obvious tiered progression. The game recycles the same basic stuff with higher stats for higher levels. Similar with chieftain sceptres up to the macy of unholy spirits. Claymore, zweihander, vorpal. I'm not entirely up to speed on all our itemization but what I'm seeing here seems to be the late-game equivalent of the orc mountains' throwing axe. Everyone can dual wield throwing axes, right?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

That makes sense, Davairus. This item will definitely be a new "best axe" for small/medium races, but we can keep an eye on it. The light axe progression would be throwing axe, light mithril hand-axe, and now the new axe of bladed fury.

Also, Captain Foregen of Grimforge now has a new shield.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

One thing which I just thought about: perhaps a moderately high tier shield could be placed on the defensive instructor in Grimforge Mountain? I'm thinking something between the higher level rares (not in challenge areas) and the options around level 30...

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I raised the weight of the axe of bladed fury from 5 to 6.5 and decreased the rare limit from 10 cost to 5. That should mean there'll only be a couple of them in stock at a time and they'll be hoarded. That and it being on a commonly known mob should be good enough to keep the impact down.

I didn't know light axes were that sparse, maybe we should fill that out a bit. Let's add some shields first though.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: