Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 17 hours.

See character Rask for what is wrong with this place...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soederpop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: See character Rask for what is wrong with this place...

One player who spoils it? But the fact that a 6 hr character can easily defeat a 76 hour invested, trained and moderately equipped character is wrong.

I have heard of 3 others who started playing here and wanted to continue play here and left because it is fun to play, but there are a few people who have played her forever that their inherent knowledge makes the game lopsided.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject:

A whiny attitude is not the right direction to take if you expect to ever master the game. Everybody was a beginner once.

If I choose, I can make it almost impossible for me to die on this game as a player and it doesn't take much more than having a few good hiding places, taking adequate cover, running well and having a recall potion that goes to Timaran. The class picks have little to do with it. There are no special tricks or secrets to it. Everyone who plays AR at top tier knows getting a kill is very difficult and fights can last for many hours which is quite thrilling.

If you guys want to improve at pk'ing, which I take to mean you want to be winning, review your fights from your logs and ask questions on the forum to get unstuck. Number one is don't fight a battle you can't win. You talk about a guy with six hours beating a guy with 700. I mean is it a guy with 6 hours in full winter equipment against a guy with 700 in mithril equipment? If I was the 700 hours guy I would not engage. Obviously with experience you will learn when it is safe to engage and when it isnt. A newbie doesn't need to worry about that. The answer is, it isnt. It always isnt. Read your logs and ask questions on the forum and we will fill in the blanks. Joining fighting cabals (e.g. Warlords or Knights) will help accelerate how fast you learn and how easily you find help. Remember if you ask questions on the forum, everyone gets to read the answers. So you dont get a "inherent knowledge" advantage that way. I promise if you put the effort in reviewing logs, you'll find plenty of people get by knowing a lot less than you think. Thats because most people have tried to learn the game with OOC friends sharing their tips and inadvertently put a skill ceiling on themselves.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject:

The institutional memory of this game makes it an uphill battle for n00bs to be sure. And that's part of what makes this game. I got my ass handed to me for a couple years before I figured out how shit works.

Lesson number one is if you can run away well, you won't get killed. You die because you choose to stay in a fight. The way you learn is by dying.

Training is a way for similar skilled people to gain an edge over each other by putting in more effort. If the skill differential is too great, all the training in the world won't matter.

Rather than sink 80 hours into training a toon, roll a trash level 15 avian dark-knight (perma-flight for easy running) and just backstab everyone. Then roll a trash level 30 fire giant warrior, get moderately geared up and bash everything that moves. Then roll a level 50 healer of some sort that all the goodies love to go on winter runs with but all the evils hate because you run around with 200hp and just heal forever.

When you die ask yourself what could I do better next time? I have 61+ lives and each one is a learning experience.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Ergo and Dav here. I have played for years and years. Do I usually win my fights? Sure, I have straight up had characters condie with terrible records (Twice in my playtime) I can run from Valour to Darkhaven blind. I know all the hiding places, all the challenge areas, and I can track pretty good (Not as good as I used to be able to) This is what you need. If you looked at my dashboard, you would see that I have 3000 hours recorded gameplay since the inception of the dashboard. I am going to tell you that I have played less since that feature was released than before it came out. If ALL of my characters were on the Dashboard I would probably have 10,000 hours. That's my time that I invested to get better at this game and to have fun. For me it used to be about the pk, now it's purely about the RP, the PK is just a bonus. Relax, learn to play have fun. If you are having trouble, try a warlord or a knight. Expect to die, and you won't be upset when it happens. Don't fight battles you didn't start ever.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject:

For me, RP has always come first. I don't always like the RP of other characters (and there have been cases where I thought RP I saw was pretty lame and not very original, etc.), but my focus has been on RP first. PKing has always come with a RP reason for me, though I understand some people just live for the thrill of the adrenaline rush which comes in a PKing situation.

I went in several years from being passive and peaceful (my first 50, an avian healer named Kaeralin, was like this) to avoiding fights (Narcana in particular in my second year) to starting to get my hands bloody by the time I was playing Beljia. Avoidance worked as a strategy for a while, but one day it occurred to me when I was thinking about how I was going to deal with Mikoos as Beljia that I was playing an anti-paladin of sorts, which I interpreted to mean I was a champion (albeit of darkness in this case). I remember picking up the Centurion's polearm one day; this became Beljia's primary weapon for the rest of her long life.

Still, it took time (and MANY characters) for me to get to where I am now, at a point I would consider myself simply competent. Not elite, not somebody who barely knows what they're doing, but a competent player.

In closing words, there have always been players who choose to engage in so-called "niche PKing". It may be frustrating to deal with them, but remember that YOU control what you get out of the game ultimately.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

I've been thinking about this thread off and on, and the approach I want to take to fixing this is to incentivize a lot of PK at level 25.

What if we continued the recent theme of undead updates and let dead players come back to life as playable ghosts or zombies?

Any player can log into a deleted or condeathed character on their account as a ghost and keep playing. A condeathed character would get some extra skills or something. The character's level gets fixed to 25 and the character can't gain XP in any way. The character can continue to get money and eq and everything else as normal. If that character kills anyone or gains XP, they "charge up" a power source for the cabal they're associated with and when the power is full the cabal can do something cool. If a zombie character gains the favor of the gods it's possible to get brought back to life and allowed to level up again. Strength damned when cast on an undead player could temporarily make you 50. Dead vampires can always come back to life by drinking enough blood.

1 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

Names need to be vetted better. Tuuka Rask is the goalie for the Boston Bruins. I can’t be the only one who watches hockey here. That being said Nycticora your idea is awesome.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

A) I'm legimtately tired of dealing with stupid names.

How about this, you can't use magic unless registered by the Mystics.

Registration will be granted on Immortal grace until level 25, at which point you need to register your dumb ass with the Mystic cabal as a magic-user. And if the Mystics decide your name is too atrocious for the codex, you're permanently banned from using magic, as in the no-magic spell. I'm sure a bunch of mortals are going to do a lot better (and harsher) job than a few overworked tired imms.

Needing to become a registered magic-user will make people to treat Mystics with some respect also. Except Warlords, who obviously wont give a shit. So we have a whole bunch of knucklehead warriors in warlords with dipshit hilarious names and thats the only way to really pull it off, and it possibly gives a bunch of evil-inclined Mystics a reason to kill them (because they are offensive just to look at)

B) The pk stats seems like the main reason to not PK at 25. If it is opened to 15+ (lootable range), I think it'll take time, but will pick right back up. Otherwise, people are just going to avoid it, to avoid ruining their record. I dont think there is any incentive that will overcome this issue. We are all about the graveyard.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

pk stats don't actually start until level 36 Dav

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I read that wrong, im half asleep just ignore my dumbass

0 0 0
hamsandwich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

<deleted>

*Wasn't really contributing anything nor worth the time to read*

Last edited by hamsandwich on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how pointing out there is a low pbase is particularly helpful unless you can grow some new players out back in your vegetable garden.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject:

Sorry Dav, not trying to create work for you. I would have just reported it had I seen it in character
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject:

I think vets have a responsibility to be kind to newer players and to ruthlessly kill other vets.

Nobody enjoys getting killed and full looted, especially if they have no idea WTF is going on or if they had no chance at all...

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: