Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Monk Healing Nerf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Monk Healing Nerf

Monk healing should be nerfed so that taking any action which can't be done while sleeping immediately cancels the heal and strips the effect.

This is to prevent walking around while healing and closing doors to prevent an attacker from interrupting your heal.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I think that's a great idea. The lag period between initiating healing and the healing actually taking effect is really too short to be too much of a penalty. Unless you're a pip-tier tracker, it's really not hard to run around and heal up. Forcing someone to stay put for the duration of the healing cycle would definitely be enough time for a chaser to catch up and disrupt things. And even if you were worried about that, even getting one of the wispy heals is still pretty darn mana efficient.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

a skill that can be used in combat should be limited to the same constraints as sleeping is atrocious. grow up guys

0 0 1
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject:

I've been told several times that a monk needs to stand still to heal. And if the monk gets attacked, the healing is interrupted. From my perspective the current behavior (being able to walk around while healing and even open and close doors and take objects out of bags and quaff potions and even flee from combat!) is VERY bugged and very unintentional.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject:

It makes sense. It's a focused ability. How much focusing are you actually doing if you're constantly scanning and opening and closing doors?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject:

id like to talk to you tonight to discuss implementation as this is a focused skills issue not a monk issue and i basically agree with the posts but dont want to do and then undo work
movement may have been a group follower consideration so maybe we block on manual move for eg

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject:

I can't sustain a connection to IRC for long enough to have a decent conversation right now, the wifi router I've got keeps disconnecting established connections over and over. I'll be out of the loop until late next week when I get my stuff delivered. I can't make any changes or read the code regarding focus until that gets resolved either so I'm not in a rush to fix anything.

if we're too close to eoq lets bump this to q4

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

ok i dont have time either

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Having seen instances where monks kept closing doors to try and keep up their healing session, I personally think this is a good idea.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject:

What I'm caught up on is the mana efficiency part of it. Getting 3x hp per mana point seems like an insanely high ratio for a melee fighter. That log with Fhaldar has him at 682 mana points. Not even factoring in tick regen, that base mana translates to over 2,000hp. It's been a while since I've played a healer but I remember cure light being the most mana efficient option and I can't remember the multiple but considering healers only have second attack (and no enhanced damage now, right?) it seems like monk healing is significantly better. Imo no class should be able to out-heal a healer, especially not a class that gets five attacks per round and has some pretty solid defenses.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject:

If I recall it also costs moves. So the more they run to heal, the more they can’t run.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

It doesn't appear to cost mv. But, the way I understand this skill is that it's supposed to be efficient and have an alternate cost - restricted actions while healing. Monks don't have anything like trance to regain mana with and they also need to use their mana for offensive purposes so they're similar to dark knights and paladins in that they need to be efficient.

Changes made here affect all "focus" skills and spells though. We need to deep dive and consider what focus was originally intended to be and do some math to compare the effects focus has on spells and stuff before we make a change.

It was also brought up to me that right now monks can switch stances while healing and this might want to be kept. I think ideally we don't want to impact the monk's ability to tank in places like Winter with this change.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

I did a quick review of the relevant code here and three things stood out to me:

1) Some skills/spells that use a similar warm-up/focus mechanic and pre-date the addition of focus abilities should probably be evaluated to determine whether they should be added to the list of focus abilities (i.e. gate/group gate/heaven's gate). These skills are interrupted in a similar manner to the focus abilities already via individual checks in the code. We could probably standardize this.

2) The call to interrupt abilities, including monk healing, while moving (both manual movement and following another player) is working as intended in my testing. I think it's reasonable to extend this interrupt to other movement-related actions like opening and closing doors and alternative movements like entering a portal. I'd prefer not to extend it to things like 'scan' and 'look' at this time.

3) There's actually two parts to the monk healing sequence. The first is a "windup" where the monk focuses their chii. This is the one that can be interrupted if attacked or moving. If the focus is not interrupted, the monk then gets a healing affect that will heal him 2-3 times over a few seconds. This one cannot be interrupted and may be what players see as a problem.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

No, it's the initiating the healing and then spamming close east to prevent your attacker from interfering

1 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject:

I have a bit of a beef with the uninterrupted flow of healing. My take is that a 30 mana cost is not worth 75+hp for a melee class even if there is a two round warmup period. The hp to mana ratio is what I think is op.

If you allow the flow of healing to be interrupted by an attack, then you can help bring that ratio into a little bit better alignment. If you're running and trying to keep a bit of a buffer, it's not hard to get a two round heal off and boom you get 75+ hp uncontested. If you let the heal be interrupted, then you still might get one or two rounds of heals off before your chaser catches up--that is, you might get 20-55hp for that same 30 mana which seems to me a more fair tradeoff.

What this would result in practically speaking is that a monk who was down a ton of hp and needed to heal a lot would have to either lose the attacker completely to heal in a safe spot uninterrupted. Or skirmish with much more movement in between which would bring those movement points into play.

If you're going to have the heals uninterrupted, then I think the ratio of hp to mana should be much closer to 1:1. If you keep the ratio the same, then I think the flow of healing should be interruptible by combat.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: