Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 13 hours.

Evil Monk silent trashkilling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject:

1 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Do I sound butthurt, Olyn? Does the questioner sound butthurt? We are actually having a relatively civil conversation, a rarity in these parts. So perhaps, relax.

Kornhole: They reason I say that, is because Lawful Evil was never about 'are you following laws, or not'. Lawful is more a symptom of an overarching system of beliefs. Same as chaotic evil.

Would a lawful evil turn on allies? Maybe, that seems a close call to me. It would take more gain for them to do it. Would a chaotic evil turn on allies? Yeah, at the drop of a dime. Literally, "Oh shit, I want that dime, give me that dime. You die you silly mother fucker, don't touch my dime."

As far as murdering a stranger, I think both would do it. The chaotic evil is the mugger, referred to earlier in the post. A lawful evil sits on a high horse, creating reasons for the murder. The neutral evil sits somewhere in the middle, I suppose. It's tricky ground. Depends on the players RP and background. That's where all of this gets tricky and kind of personal. Whats the background?

To me, ethos has always been more about social contracts. That is all laws really are, social contracts, with a punishment affixed.

Also, response to what you said Olyn, in no way does an Imm or high ranking legion member ordering you to increase your bodycount, give you a get out of RP card. PK encouraged. RP enforced. The other person may have been butthurt about dying, that's fine. But if we can improve RP in the game, with civil conversations of personal convictions, why are you up in arms about it?

And Ergololololol, I'm not telling people not to kill, your implication with the pretty picture. I'm simply implying we should, in our rp, try not to be 1 dimensional Terry Goodkind characters.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote from original poster: Yes, im butthurt for getting random death to someone who has never seen, heard or talked to me before

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Everyone should RP, but this is just a guy whining because he didn't see it coming. We will never require evil characters to introduce themselves before attacking someone. The monk clearly had his reasons, but in no way does he need to explain himself.

He got dunked. He was butthurt. He tried to turn it into a forum spat over nothing because of aforementioned butthurt. The RP was there, which he summarized as the monk telling him to "fuck off". That was accurate. I know. I was the monk.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

I'll even take it a step further. The actual problem here is that some players have some kind of unreasonable expectation that everyone else's RP should be presented like it's a one man play. Every thought, every motive, every rationalization should be spoken aloud. They turn to the forum to whine about lack of RP without bothering to look at the subtlety that marks good but not "in your face" RP.

3 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Olyn hit it right on the head.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject:

That's an interesting perspective of A problem. Or, you could say;

The actual problem here is that some players have some kind of unreasonable expectation that their lack of RP should be forgiven because they are exceptional pk'ers. Every thought, every motive, every rationalization can be silent, because that just shows how nuanced your character is.

Personally - I revel in the opportunity to smash silent pkers into the ground, rather gleefully. I was sick of it when I was terrible and I haven't grow any less tired of the same old shit, now that I am a reasonable player. The majority of characters I've played have been Knights for a reason. That is because the majority of silent pk'ers are evils. It's like an unspoken rule "I can silent pk because I'm evil, so I'll just RP subtly. RP solved."

Funnily enough, I know this was your character, before you even said it. I liked Fahtsau, he was a good character. I had great interactions with that character. Voglin was waiting the whole time for a coup attempt from Fahtsau. That proves you had good rp. Don't get defensive, because I'm pointing at a type of RP, not at you. I know the caliber of character you play and I know this wasn't a situation where you did something wrong. I'm merely suggesting that silent pk is some kind of protected territory among the more elite players.

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks Faelon, putting it like "To me, ethos has always been more about social contracts. That is all laws really are, social contracts, with a punishment affixed." helped me as a player in a big way. Never really looked at it that way, and my lawfuls usually ended up a bit bland because of it. Personally though (advanced apologies for forum drifting) I have always wanted to successfully pull off a benevolent evil. I didn't feel the need to be lawful to do this, but now I think that might make all the difference. I don't see why benevolence cannot be exemplified by someone who "walks in darkness". Stupid, but highly relatable (I hope) example. After being named a Sith, Darth Vader still believed that he was the one doing "good" and it was the Jedi that were corrupt. IMO an evil alignment should not prevent you from being kind. I have had many a shaman that would help younglings (that were obviously evil) grow in power, for the sake of gaining power for the darkness. Also, why should an evil have to be selfish? Helping another evil seems like something one might do in hopes of the darkness growing in power. Holy shit, shoulda put in drunk thread!

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject:

Interestingly, there is a Lawful Evil description of the Evil guy who thinks he's the hero. What he's doing is the good guy. That the guys who try to stop him, are just jealous or are misled or something.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject:

Faelon wrote:
Do I sound butthurt, Olyn? Does the questioner sound butthurt? We are actually having a relatively civil conversation, a rarity in these parts. So perhaps, relax.

Yeah - The OP actually SAID he was butthurt. We are actually responding to what people are saying i.e. having a conversation. I'm not sure what you are doing.

0 0 0
ewils03

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject:

You want a drunk thread, kornhole? What I like about these kind of games is there is an endless possibility of RP and you really can almost completely make the world and experience your own. That's a good quote, "ethos is a social contract." You use Vader, but I'll use Gotham City. There is every main aspect of alignment, but the big names in the story, they're all chaotic ethos. Batman, Robin, Catwoman, Two-Face, Joker, Commissioner Gordon, and others are all chaotic. Batman may be thought of as good-chaotic and Joker evil-chaotic, but it really does come to perspective. I'm using The Dark Knight here with the Joker's motives, but he's doing what he does to bring down the real corruption of the city; mobs, cops, rotten politicians.. he's killing them all or bringing them to heel, and he's seeing Batman as someone who is standing for the corruption and protecting it. But, for a lot of people, Joker is seen as evil, while he is building up forces to help him fight what he sees as wrong. He brought more chaos with that, and those typically thought of as good had to meet his chaos with chaos; they straight broke laws on every level to fight him. So about that silent PK? What if that person was working for someone higher than them? What if that PKer is a henchman or a captain for someone? Like the guy in a mask in a truck next to you pull up a gun and open fire, you were killed without YOU understanding the big picture. Why would a cop on a beat understand the Joker's plan when she finds herself randomly (in her perspective) being shot at? Let's open up the RP, it's been kind of stale lately. Let's give something for the Heralds to come back and actually write about.

If it's clearly trash PK, that's another thing. But getting hit a couple of times and being told to screw off is another. Olyn made a statement that doesn't meet any alignment or ethos, it meets ignorance, saying "That was accurate. I know. I was the monk." I'm sure more than me agreed with the other things you brought up, but just because you're the one that did something doesn't make it right. You could sell a goblin to a nymph as a sex slave, does it make it right because you're the one who did it? Good points, otherwise.

And Faelon, bashing Terry Goodkind like that.. I can't lie that I like a Goodkind bashing, the rotten thief author. Why did I even bother my time with his books? You're right, his characters are one-dimensional with no depth. A lot of players have resorted to that, though! Voglin was awesome (yeah, I loved that character, and that golem's ass tastes good on my lips. I will not apologize, either). When you have a character that changes policy just by doing what you do, that's impressive. That's some real RP and imagination.

Now kornhole, THAT'S a drunk thread. Take notes, it's here for your pleasure.

0 0 0
xanthas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Faelon, what's the deal man. Your attitude has been going downhill for awhile now.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Olyn - I'm not aiming at you, stop jumping to your own defenses. I am more trying to generally post my thoughts on the concept of RP as it lines up with Ethos/Alignment.

Davairus - I wasn't being clear. The original topic poster was butthurt about the topic. That was in march? You res'd this and someone commented on more of a general theme. In and of itself, I was trying to give my opinions on ethos/alignment, with the monk's attitudes as a general backdrop for the conversation. To be honest, it would be pleasant if you could actually contribute to a conversation, instead of just piling on. Your comment said 'we' are having a conversation. No, WE are having a conversation. I have no fucking idea, what you are doing, outside of trying to shame me into a mea culpa.

Olyn - I think you know I respected your character and pretty much all the other characters you've had. That doesn't mean we can't have a difference of opinion.

As far as a bad attitude. What are you referring to? The butthurt comment? I was poorly trying to point out that the people who were having a renewed conversation, in which the original poster was butthurt, but the new posters with time/distance between them were not.

What's awesome about this entire thread? It could have been a neat discourse on the nature of how we RP in this game. Instead, it's a shit fest now. Congratulations. You've done fucked up a thread again! Can't even have an intriguing conversation around here.[/quote]

1 2 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Each word that you guys write into this thread, into this forum, takes up the space of another word that is potentially more deserving - not because of other words being more deserving in their own right, but because of the consequences of the words you choose. Faelon, that's why I underlined yours. Your posts are full of words that are not worth saying. I've told you this before. All I am, is a consequence of a shadow cast by your own action. Its there with or without me.

1 1
boo,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: