Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

trip lag
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: trip lag

Something I've noticed is that with races with lower dex, trip will lag the target longer then it will lag the one using, causing the person who's tripping to just do endless trips and keep the other from doing anything at all. Is there a way to do diminishing returns on trip (or even other lag skills)? So like every time it happens to you in a short amount of time, it harder and harder for a success trip to happen?

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject:

There's no reason why there should be DR on one of the lag skills and not on the others. I'd be okay with DR on bash/bodyslam/trip though. Not like it would affect me enormously, almost everything I play has prot shield

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject:

Nerfing this would just render high dex chars useless again while giants still rock shit with chain bashes-bodyslams.

I say no.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject:

It would be on bash/trip/bodyslam. So chaining those together would be very rare.

I'm against it for a other reason. This is one of the few skills useful against casting and communing classes. A tripping halfling can very scary against a spammed out shaman whose flight fell. Or a fire giant bashing on a well timed prot shield drop. Not being able to chain three or so together would suck.

Maybe make it after 2 or 3 successful lag attempts, the chance cuts in half or by a third or something, with each successful attempt lowering it farther. Any misses would reset the DR.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject:

According to my working knowledge of the game, chain bashing is no longer possible and hasn't been for awhile. Trip should be the same.

Last edited by Nycticora on Thu May 21, 2015 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject:

Fire zerkers complaining about getting chain lagged? Womp womp.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject:

It's just a timing thing Nyct. Where before you only needed to bodyslam/trip/bash repeatedly, now you just need to hit it when 'regain balance' happens. It's not too difficult, though I often forgot on Voglin and missed my chance to smear an opponent.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject:

I haven't seen the regain balance message in a while.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject:

Re: Faelon, I'm looking into that now. I think you just exposed a problem

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject:

nevermind I just worked it out and I was correct earlier, I still believe it is impossible to chain lag an opponent unless the opponent makes an error

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject:

All I did with my DK was chain-trip people to death or near close to it. Ez kills.

Once tripped some poor sob 9 times in a row.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject:

nope, looks like it's fucked up after all. The 'downed' effect is expiring before the lag ends. Davairus is looking at it now.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject:

It is difficult to chain lag, and the reason it has been difficult to chain lag, is very simple. Its because there is a hidden affect that goes on the player for duration of it. This prevents the player from taking any further lag from additional sources. Most of the struggle has been getting the message to display at the correct time, because the underlying architecture was not designed for it. I'm pretty sure its been completely a display bug that it hasnt been displaying at the right time, but I tweaked things a little bit to try to avoid any errors with that. There is not much else I can do, because the game was designed to accept inputs before sending output. Unless we made bash lag disable commands on a case-by-case basis, and let you input them and serve a "not while stunned" msg, then there is no current way to have the message display reliably at the right time, because the two things are divorced from each other.

Now, after having looked at this for hours, I do think it looks kind of dumb to have the affect just outright reset... one probable effect of that is, you can bodyslam a guy twice, and then he just recovers his balance immediately on the second (from previous bodyslam)... this is less dumb than getting 100-0'd by a spammed skill, but it certainly jolts reality a lot, and I absolutely do not like that.

So, someone mentioned, just add diminishing returns on spammed lag skills. The problem with that is we don't want to be stuck with the same situation, i.e. doing a "bash" instantly as the player recovers balance from previous bash, and beating him to the punch with command input. I actually think that diminishing returns on stun is a decent solution, but if we did that, then a "diminishing returns" affect will need to persist a little bit longer than knockdown does. I expect no more than six rounds. As long as it is longer than anything else that lags.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:

how does something like this "happen" my necro was directly affected by this and I even told you guys about it in my grave yard post.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject:

If trip lag directly affected your necro, you weren't flying. And thus, were playing necro wrong. Learn a lesson, keep mages flying.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

what we actually did is lag the attacker a little less than the dude he tripped, so that if he "spams trip" he will hit the guy while he is down and result in a lagless trip.

Code:

A tough looking guard is here.
A watchman is on alert here.

trip guard
You trip a tough guard and he goes down!
Your trip scratches a tough guard.
A tough guard has a few scratches.

!
You trip a tough guard and he goes down!
They are already down.
Your trip grazes a tough guard.

[***] You dodge a tough guard's slash.
Your punch DISEMBOWELS a tough guard!
Your punch DISEMBOWELS a tough guard!

You have stopped all fighting in this room.

A tough guard regains his balance.

Code:

You trip Nowla and she goes down!
Your trip grazes Nowla.
Nowla tries to recall to her hometown.
Nowla has a few scratches.

!
Your trip misses Nowla.

Your punch DISMEMBERS Nowla!
Nowla's stab grazes you.
                                                                                                                                               !
You trip Nowla and she goes down!
They are already down.
Your trip scratches Nowla.

Nowla regains her balance.

Your punch DISMEMBERS Nowla!

like I said, the only thing this thread might lead to is to me making that 2nd trip do diminishing returns lag instead of nothing, besides fixing the display msg, there has been no change. I may have accidentally fixed some bug that I couldn't see, but I couldnt reproduce it

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

I am confused, why "fix" something that wasn't broken before. Micros dkn literally tripped my necro in 2 different fights from full health to death where I could not enter a single command. This never happened to me on any other character. The obvious response shouldn't be you should have been flying. Why implement something without making sure it works first.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

+1 to doing diminishing returns on our lags

getting 0 lag on a second bash because of the timing doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have the chain bash til dead scenario than that, but we all know how bad that sucks, too.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject:

ozaru, do you have logs to prove this happened or are you just blowing smoke. I told you already I tried to reproduce it and couldnt. Meanwhile I have posted a log showing it works in current code. If it isnt in the issue tracker, then there isnt an issue period. If people dont post bugs, if bugs dont get reported, then these bugs dont get fixed. You could've had a one, at worst three day turnaround on this if you had reported it. We would've checked and fixed it this quickly, JUST LIKE WE DID WHEN SOMEONE PROPERLY REPORTED IT
so get off your fucking high horse please

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Have you ever known me to report something that wasn't true? Maybe the way I have brought issues to light wasn't the best way but I am not one to make shit up. In my experience when something seems really unfair or out of the blue I report it. Then generally you guys shoot it down, then quietly fix it after someone you like complains about it. No I do not have any logs of the fight, but Micro is saying he did it, it happened to me twice against his drow dkn. I have reported a bunch of things using the bug command and everything gets assigned as trivial or you guys ignore it without any response. Please answer my questions below.

1) A few months ago did you not say you guys were looking to make changes with trip and bash?

2) Did you make changes with trip and bash? Did you actually test to make sure it works fairly?

3) Did you let everyone know that you made changes to trip and bash?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: