Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

Lag skills and necromancer tweaking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Lag skills and necromancer tweaking

Two things.

1. As of now there is a "diminishing returns" affect on lag skills. After your first bash, subsequent bashes in the rest of the tick will be halved in stun duration. So for example, if you did a "chain" of 3 bashes of 2 rounds each, the last bash would lag for 1/2 round. This is shared by all lag skills, but is only counted for the person who did the bash, so your groupmates cannot screw things up.

note that this replaces the "chain lag immunity".. you can be stunned for longer now, itll just add half as much as it did before

2. For necro, I noticed that there seems little thought put into choosing zombie, as there are several very well-known choices. To alter that, I made the offense of the zombies (i.e. their haste, or whatever they have) require STRENGTH DAMNED. By default, a raised zombie will still be kind of ordinary, and you have to basically put strength damned on the best one you manage to get. This may sound severe, but there is an upshot. Since we have the diminishing returns on lag now, I decided it is fair to allow zombies to have a trip (as their default skill), so that they would always be somewhat useful for that if nothing else. When you strength damned zombie, not only do you keep that trip, but you also get the disarm and shield disarm abilities. My ideal is that a player will choose to go find some shield disarm or disarm zombie, a fast zombie, and a heavy bash (questionable usefulness considering diminishing returns on lag) zombie or heavy damage zombie - at that point, when they find someone to fight, they can choose which of those to strength damned, and their victim can maybe try to focus on killing that buffed zombie instead of just being run down like a truck.

If the tick-reset on diminishing returns feels too short, let me know and I will adjust

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:

You can strength damn all three in a reasonable amount of time.

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Holy fucking cowballs, necros getting buffed again! Was not long ago when bash-trip-dirt-disarm was dinkd from zombies because it was crazy OP.

I thought there would be necrogimping not necropimping +.+

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

May as well rename them to necromunchers because they are going through people like a goat goes through grass patch.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Three necros in top 5 before the change. They were already OP!!

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Ergorion Ssh!

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject:

For like 4 years, necros have only good for killing noobs, especially when most clowns just stack damage and rend.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject:

I love you, Davairus.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Another reason to just avoid fights with necros...

You might argue that necros are only good against noobs, but the same is true of any class without lag skills. And now necros have them.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Nadrin, I'm not sure if you read the entire thread before you replied, but the strength damned balancing factor is somebody killing it. It costs an hour of real-time to replace a strength-damned zombie. I'm sure you can log in for 3 hours earlier than everybody else and get the full army, but it doesn't stop people from just killing it and you now need hours to recover from that. The reign of terror will be real but honestly, if people decide your zombie has to go, it will be a brief one. Illusionists can whack zombies exceptionally fast for one example, and I believe turn undead also has a chance to just kill them outright. If a guy just manages to force you to recall, well at that point he and everyone else can now whack your entire strength damned army. Its very double edged. Also quitting out with that strength damned cooldown doesn't remove it, you'll be logging back in and forced to wait it out. TBH, if you know what's good for you, you'll take my advice and save that strength damned for your best zombie, and dont ever blow that hour wait lightly - you will be, to say the least, very frustrated

Notice this also ensures that non-strength damned zombies kind of suck.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Also I'm also going to go ahead and state that I don't think the top 5 really says much about the game balance. It speaks more to the activity of those couple players than the popularity of the class. Those positions are always taken by the same few people and its irrespective of what they actually rolled up.

1 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Oh yeah. I just love love calling things OP.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject:

Could we consider zombies being able to wear armor and nonrare weapons? I think this would be great for flare. Maybe only when strength damned?

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject:

I would say no. Because some zombies already have special attacks. I think some still have their 'natural' attack. Like I think the old innkeeper does a 'divine power' attack and the giant thief guardian still does a 'bite' which is his natural attack I believe...

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject:

Yeah. Zombies shouldn't be able to wield weapons. They're slow, dumb brutes.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject:

Yeah. So are giants.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't even call it a big dumb brute, but more along the lines of a nearly mindless drone. They are being controlled by a necromancer. I think I buy it (and prefer) that they retain skills they may have done while living, because that gives necro a motivation to choose that zombie. Equipping them? Not so sure. As far as coming back from the dead goes, you have really two typical ways to go there... temporarily rezzed by a healer, in which case you would be yourself again, with all the intelligence and awareness you had before.. OR, you are zombified by a necro, and in that case its not you, its an abomination that resembles what you were, and thats it. So there's obviously a line we cross somewhere. I think wearing weapons and fanciful equipment crosses it. A bit too much like the "real" thing.

We should probably think about exploring that with healer a little more too.. both these classes can be viewed as like masters of life of death, and both would understand the risk of bringing the dead back to life (or undeath as the case may be)... seems like healer would really hate necro

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:

I've changed the diminishing returns application to count down after the lag duration expires. You get two rounds of "protection" after the lag has ended. May seem short but we found that one tick was much too long. Lag will refresh the count

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: