Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 12 hours.

Dark Knight Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Dark Knight Update

Updates to the dark knight class are as follows:

Misc:

Nightmare HP is now equal to the summoner's HP.

Avians can now be dark knights.

Avian dark knight racial legacy added: Aura of Pestilence. Over years of civil war, avian dark knights have become adept at spreading disease among their own people.

New aura: Pestilence. While under the effect of this aura, the dark knight is immune from numeric negative status effects of contagious diseases.

Plague and Contagion no longer have a save on self-cast.

Class specialization:

Neutral dark knights must now choose whether to make a pact with a demon (chaotic) or devil (lawful).

Lawful and chaotic dark knights must make pacts with devils and demons, respectively.

Existing dark knights will all use the unchanged chaotic skill set.

Dark knights who make pacts with demons (chaotic DKs) receive the skills "bash" and "unholy strength".

Dark knights who make pacts with devils (lawful DKs) receive the skills "buckler" and "spellstrike" and the spell "enfeeblement".

Lawful DKs learn to cast spells from horseback unhindered by the normal additional spell failure chance from horseback (depending on skill percentage in Nightmare Control).

New skill: Spellstrike. The dark knight initiates combat by channeling a random Maledictive spell through a weapon strike. The spell is overpowered (as per the warrior Overpower skill). The casting consumes movement instead of mana, and consumes more movement than the normal mana cost of the spell.

Let me know if there are any bugs, I binge coded most of this while on drugs

0 0 0
Stephen2Aus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

Hahahaha, love the last sentence. Am laughing. Changes look cool.

1 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Cool!

One issue I see is lawful forms getting superstomped by healers and paladins, since listing unholy strength against those two classes is a 33% damage reduction instead of 17% against most classes. So they'd need something to offset that - maybe the diseases they spread can't be cured normally?

I must disclose no remaining conflicts of interest in making this post.

0 0 0
Matthais

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Is the pact automatic? My lawful dk seems to have pact with a demon atm.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

yep pact is automatic unless you're neutral and a new character (in which case pact is chosen at creation)

additional DK updates will probably happen when Paladins are updated, there's some stuff in the pipe for them. It'll be minor, similar to the paladin changes during the DK updates.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Just for the record dont expect paladin changes to be soon or anything, I have still got a lot of other things on my plate

1 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject:

Most people who play lawful dks are pretty much going into Justice anyways....

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

Andrael, I don't think that's a fair assumption anymore. We put a lot of work into making each ethos choice appealing. The days of justice being lawful and everyone else chaotic are gone.

Last edited by Olyn on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Neutrals also get to choose

0 0 0
Matthais

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject:

if you have a current lawful dk and have the default dk settings is it possible to get it switched to the new lawful settings?

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject:

Since Pestilence, I assume, is supposed to be used instead of the Vile or Malevolent one, perhaps giving a bonus to the chance of any disease spreading that the the Avian DK currently is affected by? Or make them useable in conjunction with the others?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject:

I think Pestilence is sufficiently powerful at the moment and would like to see how it plays out before altering it.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject:

I'd like there to be help files for spellstrike and pestilence. Also is spellstrike suppose to be like reckoning? Can use all the time, or only for starting combat?

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject:

I don't think it works like reckoning, in the sense that you can just spellstrike over and over to cast new maledictions, that are overpowered, on your target. Otherwise, they'd just walk in, spellstrike four times in a row and your victim would blinded, plagued, cursed, poisoned over their level to cure.

I think it should probably have a cooldown, or victim cooldown on it. Not sure though.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject:

From what I've seen, you can initiate combat with it. So, spellstrike, flee, spellstrike... but you have to be careful, cause it does take a chunk of your movement.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

Spellstrike spell duration has been drastically reduced (it shouldn't last more than a few ticks, nothing like the duration of the original spell).

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject:

So, its a quick here's a bad thing, either run or let me do more bad things.

0 0 0
Rothak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Since dark-knights that make pacts with devils and become more magic based, does this mean they will be getting trance to replace the mana regen of unholy strength?

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Do paladins get trance to replace mana regen from unholy strength? I see them quite mana/spell-based too!

Giving trance to devil DK's would be a horrible idea when it comes to balance. Who would bother playing a shaman if you get third attack+enh damage caster that is innately "immune" to hobble?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Re: Rothak,

The idea for the Lawful DK is that it should be casting more spells and landing more mals, but it won't get Trance. Spellstrike is there to give you a mal or two to start the fight off with to put the opponent on the defensive even though you aren't necessarily outdamaging him. Spellstrike casts the spells with movement instead of mana.

Once you have a mal or two on the target that way to scare him and get him thinking about using potions or running it off, you can focus on spending your mana on landing some meatier and longer-lasting mals.

This should be different from the way the current DK plays significantly in that it synergizes much more with Unholy Armor and high defense/hp and lets you use mals to run your opponent down and reduce him to 0 moves. This is opposed to the chaotic DK which is more strongly focused on out-DPSing and lagging the opponent, basically going for kills as quickly as possible.

Spellstrike is super easy to tweak in all sorts of ways, and the "mv instead of mana" thing can be a double-edged sword - if you're trying to run your opponent down but are also using mv to cast spells, you might wind up in a situation where you're both exhausted and can neither chase nor escape. The lawful DK's nightmare should be his biggest strength and biggest vulnerability. If you take out the nightmare or summon the DK away, he should have some trouble paying the movement cost for these skills. We can tweak the Spellstrike's mv cost and adjust the severity and duration of all the mals, swap some mals out for others, or provide other ways of allowing a DK to use stamina instead of magic to cast spells if necessary to achieve this goal.

So, try it out and come back with feedback. Just like monks, nothing is finalized until the class is proven to be fun.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: