Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 13 hours.

Custom Races
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Custom Races

Seeing as this wasn't announced across the spectrum of channels, allow me to help, by stirring the pot.

[quote]
IMP [JUSTICE] Davairus: custom races
Wed Jul 1 05:57:28 2015
To: all
please note that will no longer be supporting "custom races" that are not
directly named in this realm. Existing custom raced characters will be granted the opportunity to change or
otherwise mercilessly deleted.
Thanks,
- the management
[/quote]

.[quote]
Please note that a custom race must be of a
mob that exists in the game at the very least - harpies, goblins,
trolls are in the realms, mephits and tieflings while from a similar
setting are NOT in the realms and not eligible for customization.[/quote]

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I'll respond with my own thoughts here.

Being as I was in the room for the decision, I'll say this. Arbitrary. Born of pique from a single perspective and ratified in a fashion which was as arbitrary as I've seen.

Done right, the system as it was before, forced players to create great backgrounds, mannerisms and RP in general. While the reduced system may be capable of doing the same thing, as only time will tell, the manner in which this was carried out leaves me feeling disgruntled.

Honestly, I had a mephit, which I wrote a background for, explaining the presence of such a creature in Serin. I've read Dimhiri's, considering she was essentially called out by name in the helpfile and she did the same thing. Besides which, Ranix, you're wrong. A tiefling is a half-demon half mortal and considering that we have demons in the Underworld her presence in Serin is entirely probable. Calling her out by name was foolish and negative. In short, entirely unnecessary. Had a moment of thought, or conversation been given to this, that could have easily been seen.

{edit}

By the way. The ending of that note, and I've tried to temper myself but now I'm going to lose it, IS FUCKING BULLSHIT.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

It breaks immersion which means if we do not change this we are doomed

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Step 1. Decide you like it a different way.

Step 2. Put racial applications on hold.

Step 3. Approach those characters with races not of 'Serin', if that is what's bothering you.

Step 4. Work with them to ensure they don't lose the hundreds of hours they put into their characters.

Step 5. Once the work is concluded and apologies are made for the arbitrariness of the situation.

Step 6. Make your change, removing the offending passage of 'deleting characters mercilessly'

Step 7. Allow new races to get up and running.

The above steps would have saved irritation in the few people it's irritated and would have taken you 20 minutes, over the course of 24 hours.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I'll be a negative nancy:

I really don't like custom races. It's not that I feel we have too many races already, or that I don't appreciate good RP. For me, it's two things:

1. AR is an RP and PK experience. You can't just think about one, you have to consider both. Whenever I think about a drow character, I'm thinking about that character's RP, but also floating around in my brain are things like "drow light vuln" "autosneak" "poison mastery". A while ago there was a treant berserker -- normally the mechanical representation would include "fire vuln", but this one was based on a dwarf and so had a fire RESIST -- that's jarring, it breaks immersion, and it pissed me off. As long as custom races are based on standard races, that disconnect is going to exist and throw me out of good RP.

2. Simply from an RP perspective, custom races are hard to deal with. It doesn't matter that people have to RP them well -- many AR players probably don't know what [ mephi ] or [ tiefl ] means next to someone's name. I've read my monster manuals, but I still wasn't sure how to interact with a mephit. Having a set list of races with race stereotypes / cookie cutter RP means you have a baseline for everyone, while letting people distinguish themselves by breaking out of the mold.

I don't like most custom races at all. For something like harpy, okay -- it's similar enough to avian. Half-drow? Sure. But things like treants, orcs, goblins, and other less generic races, we need some mechanistic base.

I would propose to allow custom races with the stipulation that each custom race is not represented in Serin's races because of flaws, so that character needs to lose 1 stat point where appropriate and gain any highly visible vulns that their chosen race would have.

1 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

That is why you adjust stats, vulns, resists to fit. You have to actually make the race viable.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm all for new races, Arunore. What I hate is seeing one restrung race on who while everything else functions as the base race.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

The current systems inability to add a 'helpfile', as is still prescribed in 'help custom race', isn't the fault of the people who elected to use the system. That's what you're referring to when you say people don't know what a 'tiefling' is.

Also, people could... wait for it.... Interact!? Woah. Too much. Rp, can't.. handle! GAH!

My mephit got TONS of questions about what he was. So did Voglin and he was just a damn golem, with only emotes to go on.

If you don't like, what the fuck ever, it's your sand box, they're your toys. Make the changes you feel necessary. The judgement of the Imm staff is usually sound.

However, I get really tired of arbitrary. Just handle it like you actually give a fuck how the people who will be affected feel. That's all I am asking for.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

I would just love to see it super easy / streamlined to add a new race. Quasits and pixies and jotuns got pushed along really quickly, if things have to be balanced once they're out that's okay by me.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

That said, I do think current custom-raced chars could have been handled a bit better

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject:

This is outrage by definition. Taking rage and putting it OUT on the forum to share with everybody. And Faelon, you're acting outraged over something you're not even going to remember about in a year. If I were you I'd be just a little more concerned about people thinking you're just the guy deliberately making drama - the guy who decided to throw a match on something, and blow it way out of proportion. What YOU are doing here is ineffective and its going to have long-term negative consequences.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry?

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10356

You were blaming?

Dude, I've stood behind you no matter what decision was made, even if I disagree with changes. This one was handled so poorly that a character deleted because of it.

Your basic response? "You're making this a bigger deal then it is." Which interpreted means, "Only a few people are affected by it, so let's sweep it under the rug."

Bullshit, bro. Simply put, bullshit.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

That was meant to be a tongue in cheek note that if I wrote 10 years ago I know people would've loved and laughed at. The very fact you're ranting instead points to expressing anger badly and possibly being swept up in the tornado of anger culture which has taken the internet over. Also I might as well add that people have already said in other threads that they're tired of seeing this on the forum all the time.

0 0 0
ewils03

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm still a little sour that all these custom races have come around and Myri couldn't have been a fairy. Was it the RP? Did I screw up the process? Was half-elf too far from that? I don't know, never got any answers.. it's an incredible thing what feedback brings.

I can agree with keeping custom races in Serin and not pulled from a monster manual. Really, where would it have come from if they're not even in Serin lore? Unless there's a mass event that opens a rift and some new races come pouring out, that's a hard thing to bring in. There's still plenty of things to choose from, could probably even see a slith become draconian. Could there be a way for it to also be class-based? An illusionist becoming mist or an invoker becoming an elemental or other things, having becoming such a master of their guild they literally change.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm permitted to be angry. I've not called you any names, or said rude things about you. So don't sit here and claim my anger is troll like, which is where you're going with your accusations.

Believe it or not, how this was handled upset me. Even if I accept that everyone would understand that you were kidding and we ignore the note entirely, this was handled poorly. That you won't admit that tells me all I need to know regarding your views on other people's opinions.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject:

The way this was handled lost us a player

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Ugh. I agree, Kato. I'm disappointed with how that went down.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject:

I think the deletes are an overreaction. I'm looking at both of today's here, but we need to communicate things better here. I wasn't the one who did tiefling, but I approved the helpfile that one of our mystics sent since it was done. We have no tiefling mob, but tiefling lore isn't outside the scope of our own so it's a matter of interpretation. I think announcing a custom race moratorium until new guidelines are setup would've been fine, but a sweeping "we'll delete your character" note is bad bad bad bad bad bad. If it was meant as a joke, I certainly didn't take it that way. We all want the same thing here - for the game to be fun for everyone. I think everyone, the staff included, should consider how their comments, posts, whatever will be received. I love this game but sometimes you fuckers ruin my day.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I want to make it clear, because there seems to be some confusion on this point.

I love this game, or I wouldn't be upset. If I didn't want to play it, if I didn't want to enjoy it, if I didn't love it, I wouldn't care. Why would I? I don't get upset, really and truly upset, about things about which I don't like.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject:

While you are sitting there crying into your keyboard that I am the worst person on the internet because of how I phrased a note, I just ask that you give thought to how many hours I have toiled at my own just to have this fantasy place for you to forget about your other troubles in. Every time someone gets up in my face criticizing what I do, it makes everything I ever did here feel like a colossal waste of time. Now this isn't just you rolled some char to 50 and played it for 30 hours. I am talking about a significant portion of my existence on this planet. Its literally volunteer work for your benefits. You as a playerbase need to understand that your behavior frustrates me beyond measure when you deliberately cause these shit storms. Whether you are using meth or just had a divorce or whatever else, the realms has been here for you, and it wasn't calling you a dickhead, and myself getting misjudged that way is very offensive and frankly I'm getting sick of listening to everybody complain

0 0 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: