Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 16 hours.

Customer Satisfaction Survey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your thing?
We need more players, and I'm not playing till we get some!
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
I like to play from anywhere, and you're website doesn't support that
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
The people who play are cyber bullies and steal the fun out of things
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
I'd really just like to adventure and roleplay, and being forced to fight pushes me away
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
I'm just bored (if so, please provide why below - read disclaimer)
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Other (please please please read disclaimer)
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 23

Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject:

Responding to grant:

I do change things like that once in awhile. There are places in AR that I have intentionally made some very subtle, very interesting, very minor changes. Sometimes with PK implications, sometimes for RP. Those areas are really hard to get right though - sometimes I'll spend weeks thinking about what to do with those before actually making a change. I've been thinking on and off about moving the Legion headquarters to a new area for the past few months, for instance.

This is the kind of thing that we could really use help from players on. A well formed idea in the suggestions board that you've put a lot of thought into can really go a long way. Beia's actually ok at that and has given us some good stuff to work with, though it's usually semi-formed.

A good example of this is the rideable vehicles. The coach on the Eastern road is, I think, the first implementation. That stuff takes awhile to bake. It started off about 2 years ago when Davairus was thinking out loud in IRC about how to make a rollercoaster or something. That idea kind of stuck in everyone's mind and eventually I think it took 4 imms on that to get to the cartmaster & caravan. That feature's not fully utilized yet either, we can still use it to implement a real boat on a large sea or maybe a flying ship in the cloud castle.

The little touches like that can take dozens of hours of thought before you end up with a truly good idea that fits in the lore of the world. That stuff isn't easy at all. And it's the kind of thing any player can help with if they think about it hard enough for long enough. Not every idea is a keeper though and it's a lot of work.

0 0 0
grant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I'll try and be a little more proactive about that myself from now on. I just wanted to give Thorgoth my overall view, which is not that you guys don't do enough. Coding is hard as hell, and so is fleshing out ideas and making sure they work right.

I just think that at pinnacle, you have 3 major options as a player. Either:

A) You start Pk'ing the crap out of everybody.
B) You try to RP your character to create some good story lines.
C) You explore all that Serin has to offer.

A = Immediate reward in the form of loot, badass status, HOE.
B = Often rewards, both personally and from staff. Just hard to know until it happens, and no control over reward. (hence my RP point idea)
C = Less rewards as you become more competent because the areas are the same, and a lot of the loot is the same. Most of us have been pretty decked out. It's just diminishing returns to not see some randomness or new things you haven't seen before.

By the way, I'm not discounting all the changes in loot lately. I'm actually incredibly excited about some of the changes that are being made myself.

Love what you guys are doing and I think AR is the greatest MUD I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject:

Actually I wouldn't say that the coding is hard, its just that with the language we write in, its really easy to write it shitty.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject:

I love this place, and always have. I will say that I would like to see more bent in the RP direction (though I have not officially cast a vote). Whether it be a combination of faster slays for people that break or, or additional options for RP incentives for those people that do practice it, I would love to see AR get more into the Roleplay scene. Dav, I remember you posted a long time ago on a TopMudSites forum regarding what an RPI is- I know we aren't trying to become one, but some things towards that direction would not hurt, at least for my experience.

Maybe something that further drives player interaction or at least logging in- Have we ever considered something like crafting roles? Maybe make some things less accessible, give someone something to do outside of just train when they are around alone?

That would keep me logged in more in general.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject:

Yes I would like to have some form of crafting/trading. We can open discussion about that if you guys want.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject:

I made a discussion on crafting in Ideas and Suggestions

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I'm continuing this conversation here and there, as this page is currently showing up on our homepage and I'd prefer it get more visibility as we discuss.

I really love all of these ideas. This could be a way of making consumables a really interesting part of the game, and open the door to more customized items.

This might also be a good way to move into possible future changes of armor or magic in general, if we choose to do so.

While I don't like exactly the way seeds work, they are kind of the right concept, I think- Sometimes having to obtain a rare seed and the invest time for it to grow. Maybe the idea of the "Recipes" used to randomize armor could be utilized- Except things like that to create additional consumables.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Apologies all around are in order.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

Man what is up with this cryptic message, Dav?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

He removed several posts.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:

I want to thank everyone for their responses on this forum and poll. It's good to see that a lot of you guys are extremely satisfied, and some of you have requests that aren't actually out of the picture.

To address the specifics - I do feel that the cabal process is grueling for an applicant, as I've been through it countless times and understand the frustration (and let's face it - boredom) from sitting and doing mindless activities. It's something I take near and dear to me and we are doing what we can to get the ball rolling in that area. Let it be known though that Knights do have an autoinduction process. Also - once all processes have been implemented for the appropriate cabals - I'll update the helpfile with more information on how/where to do so. I do think this is a big area for most people which is why I feel it needs the most attention. The other comments/ideas will be considered and you all will be made aware if/when we decide to roll them out.

Thanks again!

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject:

I realize I'm coming really late to this. I would have to say that my favorite thing about this game is that it is a bit like a story-one that we get to have a great deal of control over.

I really like some of the changes that I've seen, the more customizability of everything (religions, the sort of introduction to kits lawful pally etc. (honestly there are a lot of really cool stuff that I want to try out and I have a hard time picking)) and I'm really excited to see where this goes. That being said it is stuff like the Fell/Abyssal invasion, different cabals warring against each other etc. that makes this game interesting and makes me want to be more involved.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: