Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

Should we get rid of the dummy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we get rid of the dummy?
Yeah. I wanna actually interact with people.
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Nah. I enjoy afk-spam-training.
66%
 66%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 24

Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Should we get rid of the dummy?

The training dummy while great for afk mastering skills also leads to afk circle jerk parties. Should we abolish it?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Would you feel better about a dummy with finite hp? That's how it was when the dummy was originally moved to gnome village.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Another option would be to cap skill gains, but I'm not sure I'd like it. We have max 80% at either lvl 10 or 15 now. There's more risk at the dummy in the level 25 range.

1 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm not going to vote, mostly because I don't enjoy the answers given. The training dummy is very useful, I won't deny that. It helps more than it hurts until people start abusing it. If you really want to make it hard, you could get rid of the mushroom amulets, and the seashell rings' effects. That way they don't have infinite food and water. Also, making the dummy's health finite, but a healthy amount, like it was back in Seringale, would also put some space in it as well.

The cap I believe is 80% until you pass lvl 10. Afterwards you can get up to 100%. Maybe make the cap so that you have to hit a certain level to get higher? Maybe you can only get to 90% until you pass lvl 20 then afterwards you're free to do what you want in terms of training?

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

we have enough douche bags that play here that troll players to get shit kills at level 25. Your reward is mastered skills, your risk is you get pked at lvl 25 to some scrub that will never get above rank 25. We also have immortals who check in on players who afk spam transfer slay discipline. Nothing wrong with the dummy keep it as is

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject:

btw if you want to get rid of the dummy, then we will just go back to summoning swirling mists in gnome village and go back to you yellow and green rings with the broom stick pink and green stone battered iron plate

0 0 0
Oxyl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject:

What about:

- Block grouping in that room
- The king randomly freaks out and sets the room on fire, without anyone needing to attack him to cause that

I agree that the poll's vote options are too limited but the discussion it has prompted is a good one.

0 0 0
ewils03

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject:

Can't forget the demon talismans, Ozaru. Or a buddy to keep you dirted or blinded to train blind fighting. I absolutely love the training dummy and have been capped there a few times even while watching, just skill-lagged. If there is to be any change, I like Oxyl's suggestion of the king flipping out and torching the place.. either on purpose or by accident. The seashells and mushroom amulets are just sweet; I've never liked having to leave to get food, especially after you're set up for defense training, but that's a luxury on top of another luxury. I'm just not sure why the dummy's been a hot topic lately, to be honest. I personally don't care if someone is watching their character-in-training with one eye (like we all do) and if they get up to use the bathroom or heat something up or whatever reason, it's a risk they take to get capped or get punished. Really, though, does it bother you and your character so much of what someone else is doing that is not affecting you in any way that you're wanting to change an awesome thing?

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject:

dude to train blind fighting go to the earth ruler remove your light and you are done lol oh so many creative ways to get around the dummy

0 0 0
ewils03

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject:

Exactly. If someone doesn't like the dummy, then here's a simple solution... don't use it. Why try and ruin it for others?

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject:

The dummy is ruining character interaction at the prime cabal training levels. You get afk toons completely ignoring other characters. You get massive silent non-roleplaying groups.

With the way no exp works, getting rid of the dummy would benefit the game imo. Because those characters at level 25 would have more incentive to join active ranking groups and actually have to engage in dialogue with other characters.

The dummy promotes mindless, back-burner, scripting that in my mind is a detriment to the game even though it's a massive perk for your selfish character.

0 0 0
ewils03

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject:

So what do you call the levels up to 25 and the other 25 levels? Mindless, back-burner scripting? There's plenty of interaction and dialogue going on, so what if it lessens when someone's training? Do you really need to talk to them that bad, right then, on your own schedule? It's basically been said over and over again; use the dummy at your own risk. It doesn't matter what training tactics you'll be using, there are still going to be those trash characters out to PK those tied up in training. That's not going to stop if the dummy's gone.

0 0 0
Bladefury

BANNED

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject:

anyone AFK at the dummy is their own fault....if and when i train at the dummy i train full attention. also not everyone who kills people at the dummy hunts just because people are there. there are times where i want to kill someone ive already trained or am tired of training find someone of course at the dummy. If they are paying attention to their training then they escape and it becomes a fight, if not they die..not my fault.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

1 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject:

I don't think anyone ever interacted while they trained without the dummy anyway? besides, I can't put in enough hours to train and join a cabal without the dummy so...it was a good add.

2 0 0
AnOldSoul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Don't get rid of the dummy.

I've just returned after a long time away, and with ALL of the changes that've taken place, training your skills up needs to be easy for newcomers. There are so many other things that need to be figured out before training even crosses someone's mind. Once it has, they still need to figure out how to use it and to acquire things like the ring or amulet to improve the experience.

If anything, focus on preventing PK there if it's truly an issue - it's happened to me once but it could certainly happen again.

I like infinite hp. I like the nearby hobgoblins you can recruit to train your defenses.

LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE.

2 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject:

hey so the dummy is in a level 15 area or so. that's the kind of level you can find mobs and AFK indefinitely with a battered iron breastplate and nice AC

do you want to cap the learning at 80% or something (is that bad) I dont really see how there isnt a scenario where i wouldnt still sit there all day unless it was capped. we could do a bunch of dummies like a guild reward dummy that isnt capped and a higher cap dummy in the monastery and shit like that, a monk skill to make dummies ..

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject:

I think the issue is primarily overpopulation around the dummy. In the old days people would summon (or pay someone to summon) training mobs for them in a secluded place where they wouldn't be found and killed or accused of AFKing. That's the biggest difference I see.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

how about instead of everyone womping away on this one, being able to summon a dummy with your guild reward, anywhere you are, that lasts for a set time (like duration of storm)? that way it cuts down the infinite training potential, but you can still script for a decent block of time, aren't clustered like flies on a drop of honey, and are more likely to take breaks to travel and interact with other people.

1 0 1
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I like Vanisse's idea...

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

+1 for Vanisse's idea

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: