Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 21 hours, 9 mins.

Chaos cabal. Potential?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Chaos cabal. Potential?

"Rule #1 is, cause as much chaos as possible. No further instructions."

We have a really large pool of players that go chaotic, and I have been thinking that rather than try to somehow nerf chaotics into non-existence, it would be better yet to try to pull together a chaos cabal, inject some more excitement to the realms. I was thinking, the underlying goal of a chaos cabal would be to restore Serin to its natural state, i.e. undo the civilization, and they would start by doing some crazy ass stuff like swear off using shops, they could have a skill to actually set shops on fire so they can't be used for a while, some basic survival skills and shit like that.

They would be unwilling to accept lawfuls and bear an aversion for classes that had sufficiently strong lawful ties (like paladins and dark-knights, storm giants), etc.

Post your thoughts on this subject in this thread.

1 1
boo,
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

I thought you originally had:

"Rule #1 is, cause as much chaos as possible. No further ORDERS."

hahahahrahrha...ha.

I'm digging the arson shops idea. That's pretty fun. I'd do that all do in Seringale. Maybe some skills that cause weird aggro between players and NPCS or players vs players. Cause you to wear certain weapons/armor without our control. Temporarily destroy temples to prevent recall.

Classes: warriors, thief, ill, invoker, necro, shaman, zerker, ranger, shadow
Races: human, illithid, werebeast, avian, quasit, mino, duergar, pixie
Religion: zafrin, darkhan, zylenier

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject:

I think the real problem is most of the chaotic people are never really chaotic. I've always seen Legion as supposed to be that, but only a handful I can think of recently actually fill that real chaotic ethos.

But, I like the thought of having an opposite of the Justice, and really all the other cabals as well. Some of the skills already mentioned seem neat. I think something that causes two players to attack each other is a bit much but at the same time it would certainly cause that chaos. There would have to be certain parameters with that. Burning the shops/towns/temples seems pretty neat and if they swore off those things it would start to make more use of the neat cooking skill.

Could possibly always be Outlaws as well. Making town completely unsafe for them if they decide to come around. May also be a bit much.

1 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Adding another cabal means the others would thin out some. I think the existing cabals collectively don't have enough activity anyhow.

1 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't think having a certain size playerbase should be the main reason good content doesn't get added in the game. Infact, that should never been a reason.

How else would you attract new players to come play? Just start removing content and making everything smaller to accommodate? Sounds like a vicious cycle to me.

We should always be thinking of ideas to add to the game in all aspects to make it better and more attractive for current and future players.

Last edited by Lorne on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 1
boo,
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

does it need a cabal? i think there are already some who are trying to create chaos and disrupt the status quo. although i'd love to see chaotic characters able to set shit on fire, one doesn't need a cabal to run around with a torch lol

1 0 0
asudan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - Davairus

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject:

The point about chaotic characters not truly being chaotic is incredibly relevant. People care too much about eq and records to go true balls to the wall. If you wanted true chaos, you would have to have some harsh oversight there. Mkatos might be the closest most recent example. Also olyn' skink zerker that didn't give a fuck way back in the day.

I think this could be a better alternative to game balance than keepers.

Chaos cabal would def need to have some major benefits from capturing cabal items. Also, you would have to incentivize being wanted because no one in their right minds gets wanted intentionally which it sounds like this cabal wouldn't care about. Something like your chaos cabal character gets funneled gold from an anarchist sect for every tick you're wanted. Or being wanted gives you a 5/5 50hp boost and bountied is 10/10 50hp.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject:

It might be cool if they worship dragons instead of immortals, it sets a basis for them wanting things back the way they once were. It could also simply be a coterie, so that the cretinous "caballed elite" arent worrying this is going to harm their cabal pools

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

My vote is for replace keeper cabal. I think this sounds like a better fit for the game.

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Lol really? Replace the Keeper cabal? Haha

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject:

I like the idea of most of the Keeper cabal absorbed into Warlords and the rest of it becoming a supportive coterie.

This being a total objective POV...no favorites being played hurrrrrrr.

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Objection!

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject:

*sits on sidelines and eats a sandwich*

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

You won't persuade me the Keepers need to be deleted/replaced/absorbed/castrated by derailing threads with them and playing them, because the perception that gives me is that they are actually interesting and relevant. I have to read between the lines on this shit remember.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Lets call them to Harlequions, let them make fun houses that disorientated players who walk in them. We could also make them have a skill like doppleganger call it mimic, they can mimic anyone in the realms within pk range for a little while. So many options!

0 1
boo,
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Chaos cabal natural enemy = Justice. Tonnes of potential here, I love it.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject:

the amount of overlap we already have between characters in existing cabals and coteries puts me off. We have pbase to fill like 2 cabals

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I disagree I think the uncaballed representation is great and could support another cabal easily. I think maybe the other cabals are just drawing crappy right now. There are characters like Shikuro have tried to make clans on their own. There has always been an uncaballed cabal-raiding contingent. All I'm saying is lets put out something people want, and what I see is chaotics in mass, and the nerfs to that area of the game aren't abating them being rolled whatsoever. Just the thread views alone shows this idea is drawing interest.. look at how "pimp your cabal" below has like 30 views while this ones already at nearly 200. Idk if maybe someone was sitting here opening the topic over and over but it wasn't me.

http://abandonedrealms.com/players/index.php?sort=mplayed <-- I might be interpreting this wrong but it looks like a buttload of uncaballed to me.

I think this would even give Justice better representation, not make it less popular. We had a delete over making stricter wild weapon rules but most Justices prefer getting something to do.

BTW this "cabal" will follow druids at the very earliest, we are not rushing this, so maybe playerbase sizes isn't even worth thinking about at this point. Maybe by then we could have figured out what's missing from our current cabals.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Justice tends to have fewer characters because it's a boring ass cabal. Wanted was way too dope. I think it still probably is. Keepers also tend to sit on their asses a bunch because the other cabals don't have a ton of players.

A chaotic cabal that has an incentive to run around wanted would add cabal players not only to the chaotic cabal. But also to the justice cabal because it would give them something to do.

Thinking on it now in terms of balance, I think having a justice-chaotic. And knight-legion dichotomy would be better for cabal balance than having a keeper cabal. I would imagine this chaotic cabal would be open to all aligns as is justice so alliances among the groups would start form naturally.

Furthermore, the keeper method of balance is more destructive in nature. It's tear down the big guy. There's not as much potential/incentive to help the little guy because what are they good for? You'll just have to fight them at some point. With a chaotic cabal that has alliances with either legion or justice, there's an incentive to help your ally out because you can then go on eq runs and shit too.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: