Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 9 days, 21 hours.

Religion-based roleplaying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trojal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Religion-based roleplaying

Religion seems to affect roleplaying more than ethos and alignment choices. For example: a neutral evil dark-knight follower of Virgil might be roleplaying a balance between good/evil, a chaotic good healer follower of Diocletian might kill evils on sight...

There doesn't seem to be a good way to find out what someone's religion is, and "talking to them" doesn't work as well in my experience as I'd like it to.

Maybe we could go to a town hall to get a record of their religion? Or to the mystic cabal?

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject:

...why don't you find out by role playing with them if you're so curious? The whole point of religions and having cross align/ethos characters is to foster more creative rp. Instead of painting people with a broad brush...play the game better.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I personally think that no one relates their religion in game like they do Irl. Most people I talk to Irl are more than happy to tell you all about their religion, then again I do live in the bible belt so maybe it's just me. In AR it's just an after thought for most people instead of a driving idea. so it's the thought process mixed with in game interaction.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:

I guess it might be difficult to figure out if the character is playing their religion close to their chest for whatever reason. Could be they are not talkative about it. There are already meta ways to find out though. The Mystics should already be aware of everyone's religion. There are also other ways of figuring it out if you spend a bit of time in each other's company, such as tattoos and floaties, and seeing them sacrifice to their deity.

Obviously religion could have really cool RP implications and we are trying to foster the development of RP in this area. I originally thought about adding reputations to increase immersion with NPCs, which is why I installed a few town reputations to see how it felt. Right now I think that focusing on developing reputation for religion factions might result in a richer experience and have a bigger overall benefit for the time investment. So that's something I have on my list of things.

What I'd love to see is more interaction with between mortals and immortals. We're experiencing more imm and mort activity recently, and this is a great time to develop richer religion RP. One thing that has been mildly bugging me is that people are signing up to the Luck religion but I have absolutely no idea why they chose my religion, since they never introduced themselves and have no backgrounds. I think a background entry should be required by e.g. rank 25, so that at least imms can get an impression of where your character is coming from and have something to work with. This is what Mystics should be requiring if characters are going through the typical "initiate" route, but there are ways to bypass e.g. if you are a cleric or you directly ask an imm to initiate you. And if you see your deity/avatar around in the realms, say hello! We don't bite. (usually)

0 0 0
Multore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

You could consider making various mobs respond to various religions in towns, etc. Valour would praise certain deities and curse others for example.

Lots of flavor to be had there giving mobs different reactions like that.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Vanisse wrote:
One thing that has been mildly bugging me is that people are signing up to the Luck religion but I have absolutely no idea why they chose my religion, since they never introduced themselves and have no backgrounds. I think a background entry should be required by e.g. rank 25, so that at least imms can get an impression of where your character is coming from and have something to work with. This is what Mystics should be requiring if characters are going through the typical "initiate" route, but there are ways to bypass e.g. if you are a cleric or you directly ask an imm to initiate you.

Would the background have to approved and would it pause exp or prevent higher level spellcasting or what

I could make it require at least travelling to a shrine to be allowed to use the higher level spells

Last edited by Davairus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

dav: no, i was thinking something like what we do for descs, imms will just bug you about it till you write one

multore: that's the idea. but first, need to get the time to sit down and hammer it out

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I suggested this a while back but we should have more structure in the Religion. Make them talk to a High Follower before they can even join the religion. Mystic's should not be the High Followers of all the religions, but if you do go through a Mystic you have to have a background.

This could also provide space to add Religions (Sacred) Equipment like some of the Outfit items but rare/unique. That could only be obtained by a religious quest or the high follower would know the secret to obtain the items, so if he gets #rekt he can go grab the set. Each set would provide a little bonus based on the religion.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

i'd rather prefer to work on making ar less rather than more materialistic.... but maybe that's just me

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Yes me to so give everyone awesome EQ lol, MAKE them RP to get into a spot into the religion where equipment is not an issue. Where they can get a good set just for the amount of RP they have done in the religion. Getting the High Follower spot would not be cake. It also would not be BAD ASS top notch Winter/Order gear.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject:

I think it would be better if they have to wait at shrine/pray to get the nod. It should be easy to handle that load with the become command. We can also put our active hours in a helpfile so they know when to try, instead of trying it all the time and getting sad.

Is that not what you were looking for? I interpreted it as wanting to have imm-teraction and this is a means to force the encounter so to speak. Its forced or it isnt..? If I misunderstood this let me know what we are actually looking for.

This may sound like a hassle but I think the initial "hi" meeting is probably critical to have a meaningful long-term relationship with that imm. Its like a first date.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:

"What I'd love to see is more interaction with between mortals and immortals. We're experiencing more imm and mort activity recently, and this is a great time to develop richer religion RP."

Interesting. So for some religion that has an avatar around/active Immortal around, I guess it is possible to have that interaction. What about those without? Like Zylenier for example. How is that interaction supposed to happen? Random praying?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject:

maybe we could message him on facebook and ask him to do it once in a while. its what, an hour a week? haha. making an appointment would help me attend these.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I think what dav said is a good idea. spend time in the altar and pray for an initial meeting. firstly that will get you onto our radar, we'll remember your rp and have somewhere to start. we have the Imm become command so we are able to cover situations with deities missing avatars. but if you are just always on winter runs, at the dummy or pking I wouldn't ever interact since I would think you were busy.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I've always wondered how one could be an adept. If it's some sort of crazy RP or if your deity/avatar is ever about just kiss ass. I could care less about getting some sort of crazy equipment.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Depends on the deity probs

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: