Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Recovering the Lost Arcane Relics" is underway, and ends in 3 days, 18 hours.

Ivindel's Warrior Guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivindel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Ivindel's Warrior Guide

-done with this game-

Last edited by ivindel on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:11 am; edited 8 times in total

2 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:

This is dope. I haven't read the whole thing but it's awesome you took the time to do this.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Good job on this. Well thought out and well organized. I play the class quite a bit differently than you do, but I'd never get around to making something like this. Great contribution.

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks so much Ivendel, I love the initial disclaimer, and appreciate the time and effort it took to create such a guide. Points I did not totally agree with are as follows....You stated that one will never use overhead or charge in a PK. Charge can be most useful, especially against flying targets. Overhead a sleeping gnome!?!?!? Also in the section on ticks you said thats the only healing. Does berserk not grant health back any more? Anyway, I have been playing this game a very long time, and never had much success as a warrior, personally I suck at the "rock/paper/scissors" game of style matchups. Again, great guide, and thanks a lot for helping.

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject:

Kornhole: Thanks for the feedback, I overlooked that bit on charge so I edited it in the guide. As for overheading a sleeping gnome.. HAH he ought to die if he actually lets you pull that off. Berserk heals in proportion to the amount of mana spent on it and a successful berserk always removes half of your current mana so I wouldn't count on berserk for healing because a good tick can get you about 70 to 90 HP. Don't forget that you also lose half of your current movement whether you succeed or fail berserk (you lag 3 rounds for failing berserk).

0 0 0
Slogosh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Maybe to make it easier kornhole, don't try to always have advantage but use two you like. Dwarves and other shield blocky races need some extra triggers or alias to work with shield block into two hand to remove the shield and then wear the two hand, but two hand into dual wield and back is very easy especially if you find a good heavy main weapon to overbear and then release to dual wield.

At worst you will be even matchup style by picking only two to focus on. If you are two hand and they go sword and shield, you go sword and shield and there's no benefit for them. If you are sword and shield and they go dual wield, you go back to two hand and you > them.

Another thing to make it easier is inventory stacking. If there is two items with similar starting names like a flail and a flame lance, drop one and it goes to top of inventory. Then wi fl always grabs the top one first. This makes it easier to wear the right item at the right time with as few key presses as possible, or if your macro is set up to wield fl.

A few lowly save vs spell items will help against dak knight or shaman because they can't remove your saves with savebreak, so save vs spell will help you against both afflictive and mal. Try wearing just enough that it is moderately difficult for them to blind you, and then keep gyvels around in case it does work. Wear too many and your damage suffers, wear too few and you don't have enough consumables. The most dangerous spells are fireball and iceball for afflictive, so fight in areas where it will cause them pain to use it. Like orcish mountains. He will be tempted to use it there because they are weak mobs but with so many in the room, it will hamper is moving around. Standing next to a shopkeeper to shut down that spell is also good, but then they won't risk getting tripped up on a mob and will resort to mals or lightning bolt. If you are dual wield and they are shield style, barrage and then bash works to remove a defense and then they're stuck in the fight with no casting or fleeing ability. Its a big thing that forcing someone into making a conscious decision costs them. Even having to stop spamming fireball because of some trash mobs nearby as a conscious act will give you an edge.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

"A few lowly save vs spell items will help against dak knight or shaman because they can't remove your saves with savebreak, so save vs spell will help you against both afflictive and mal."

Ok, I don't understand what you are typing here. Everyone can get a break ring to reduce your saves. If you mean they do not have a save vs spell break ring, they do not need one. They just need a save vs maladictive break.

They also have spells like deteriorate and contagion to assist in reducing your saves.

0 0 0
Slogosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject:

save vs spell isn't reduced by savebreak. If you have 45 in all categories due to a save vs spell item, it will be at 45 after someone tries to use a savebreak. That is why save vs spell items you gamble come with nasty con penalties.

0 1
boo,
Merlandox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject:

So you are saying if someone wears 40 save vs spell. And his opponent has a maladiction break ring, it does not work against his saves at all?

My understanding is that save vs spell just adds saves to all three branches. So the mal break ring should work against his mal saves(which comes from save vs spell eq). Unless my understanding of this is wrong?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject:

http://www.abandonedrealms.com/search.php?search=save%20vs%20spell

just edited it to remove the "defenceless" typo and remove some comma soup

Last edited by Nycticora on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total

1 0 0
Slogosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject:

I remember reading a thread on it, the imm in the thread affirmed it, and a few people were surprised it works like this. Save spell is a unique mechanic. It comes from the old game where there was only one save. It is different than a piece of armor that adds save_men 5 save_mal 5 and save_aff 5. That armor adds saves to each individual spot and therefore they can be taken away by armor designed to remove that certain save.

A minor globe is not countered by savebreak. This is why save vs spell gamble items have con penalties and rare ones do not, even though they are only 2 or 3 save.

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5598

Not the original thread. Referencer.

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

Slogosh, did you not read Nycticora's link to the current helpfile? Or did a link from a thread (which I personally believe you misunderstood) from seven years ago seem like a more reliable resource?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:

that thread was Davairus telling you to test it yourself and not giving you an answer

0 0 0
Slogosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I did not misunderstand. That thread is about save vs spell in specific items and not general understanding like that helpfile, and also about savebreak vs mobs. Davairus tells Stiehl to test savebreak themselves for dependency or save against mal vs against spell and not give an answer, but also says that savebreak is a good stat for denting -60 save vs mal from mahn tor, and people aren't going to cap save vs spell without longer time investment or a lot of gold.

The rational conclusion is to assume it works this way until testing proves it untrue. Here is what is known. Save vs spell items are usually very numerically low in power compared to specific save vs one of the triad. Save vs spell items that are not rare and gambled come with penalties to con, unlike save vs mal or aff. Save vs spell items from mobs are hard to find, or don't itemize well, like ward minor. To get save vs spell on better spots like torso or necks or rings, gambling is required, which is an expensive and lucky process. Even then, the best gambled save vs spell will still bring -con with it.

"Expect a savebreak to be used to take off the little gimpy +mal you wore to try to round off what you had tried to round your own saves off with. Not to just pwnzore all your saves. "

That helpfile is an overview of how saves work generally. There's a lot of hidden knowledge in this game and save vs spell items vs save vs mal/aff/mental is one of those.

0 1
boo,
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject:

you're wrong in your interpretation of the thread and being belligerent isn't going to trick me into spoonfeeding you the answer

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject:

We'll happily fix the helpfiles if you need them fixed. Just respectfully raise the issues. Don't be a drag. Its pretty easy to find something else more fun to do than have a frustrating conversation.

0 0 0
Slogosh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry I sounded mean to you but I was writing as factually as possible. It was an honest conversation, not a trick. Please don't spoonfeed. I wouldn't want you to. Discovery keeps the game fresh.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject:

It's all good, I was provoking you to see if you were somebody else

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject:

Isn't stashing weapons, etc. so you don't lose them in fights against the rules?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject:

Only as it relates to suicide, like stashing before dying to a justice to remove wanted

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: