Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

PK area restriction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: PK area restriction

Been thinking about this for a while and was curious as to what the community would think to increase the amount of deaths in this game.

So here is my idea:

Player A attacks player B, this would cause the adrenaline of player A to spike and it would prevent Player A from fleeing the area. Why is this a good idea? Well if someone cannot leave the area then their is an almost certain probability of a death to occur.

Player A can only leave the area if Player B recalls or leaves the area. Now if Player B attacks Player A in the same area, then neither player can leave the area.

20 years ago, people that could chase were king even today people that can chase are king. This is to even the playing field against those of us who are not super fast, and I would bet dollars to donuts a lot of people use macros that just spit out directions when necessary.

With such a small player base when you actually find someone to fight most times they just run and quit out and the obvious reason behind that is to preserve shinny equipment. Nothing more exciting in this game than a fight, nothing more lame than running after someone that is just running in circles or that last bash missed and poof they are gone.

Fire extinguisher is ready to fight the flames =)

0 1
boo,
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

I don't think this would level the playing field. I think it would benefit the top 5.

2 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

this sounds alot like the recall argument again. running and chasing is an integral part of the game. I'm for this as little as I was for removing recall. this only helps the hoe and nerfs the rest

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I remember a time when recall used to bring you to the temple in the nearest city. I thought that was pretty balanced because if the person chasing recalls together, at least you wouldn't need to run from darkhaven all the way to valour. I wonder why that change was reversed.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Just so everyone is clear on the idea:

Ozaru attacks Xenyar in seringale, Xenyar can flee the city of seringale recall do what ever like normal. But if Xenyar flees and attacks Ozaru in seringale, both Ozaru and Xenyar can't leave the Seeringale.

Ozaru attacks Xenyar in seringale, Xenyar flees to mudfall, Ozaru follows Xenyar to mud fall, Xenyar attacks Ozaru in mudfall, now Xenyar cannot leave mud fall and Ozaru can.

The idea is to trap the aggressor in the area not the defender. But if the defender becomes the aggressor in the same area, then both cannot leave.

The down fall I see is more people would just run from a fight and never attack back. But if you do at least someone for sure will die. This came to be honestly when fighting Xenyar when he played Valox and would run everytime he was a big and nasty and just let the rng reset and that got old fast. Of course it is a risk, I can keep a top 5 guy in an area if I feel confident I can beat him, but if I am over confident I am dead. But we don't have enough deaths anyway and if we get a log of a top 5 killed by a not top 5 we all win

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject:

I believe the change back to hometown recall was based on the fact that people were getting really confused as to why they didn't recall back to their homes and we were stretching to find an in-game explanation for it. You have methods in game of catching people who run (having a buddy at their recall for example). I am equally concerned with how you will justify this in-character. Oh I've attacked someone (hope it wasn't in a Protected City), now I can't leave for 10 minutes. Anyone who was waited to reduel someone knows how long adrenaline takes to fade. You could die if you get stuck in Exile where there's no food and water.

Also, if the defender can run and you can't, how are you supposed to chase him down?

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I don't think you read the post fully Vevier which is unfortunate because then other people will just take what you say and stand behind it.

1. Justifying this in game is hard to do no doubt it makes no sense at all

2. Of course you can follow someone if they leave the area, the idea is if the person attacks back no one can leave the area. Again the idea is to promote more pk deaths.

3. If I attack you in a small area lets say gnome village I can't leave that area until you leave it. If you run around for 10 minutes and I can't find you or kill you then thats my problem. If my opponent leaves gnome village, I chase them but can't find them, I find them in the ford they attack me, i flee and attack them back now we both can't leave the ford. It is a risk that I take because i am thinking I can beat you in a large area regardless. If I know I can't then I will just flee the ford to an area i would feel more comfortable in and hope you chase me there as long as I didn't attack back in the ford.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject:

this still leaves it down to attrition if caught in the wrong area on the wrong class. I could just out run you until you starve to death

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Yes I guess you could run around in circles for an hour waiting for someone to die of hunger yay thats really fun......

The spirit of this idea is simple mortal combat. If two people attack each other someone is dying for sure.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

You're presenting a 2 person scenario. What would happen when you had three people?

Player A attacks Player B. Player B hides, or runs around, and calls his friend Big Bad C. A cannot leave the area.

C arrives, attacks A. B attacks A. A, B and C now trapped in area. 2v1 fight ensues.

C arrives, attacks A. B sits and waits. A and C now trapped in area. 1v1 fight ensues.

Wouldn't it be just be potential entrapment for every attacker?

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

You bring up a good point in a multi player scenario. Im not sure how you can code something like that, but if a attack b then c attacks a I would look at it as c is the aggressor and a the defender now.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

And yes the point is to entrap the attacker if the defender wants to fight back because he thinks he can win the fight. i always found it amusing when someone says haha you are so bad because you can't find me. well shit leave the area quaff a recall take a nexus how the hell could i find you lol. I hate to belabor the point, but it is intended for people to die

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Seems like it would be putting a lot of extra onus on the attacker. There would be arguably more need to prep for every pk situation in case of allies/opportunists, and not just the one person they originally wanted to chase. The defender might even have more control of the scenario despite being jumped out of the blue.

Also: how would this impact cabal duties? Justice attacks criminal and is now trapped fair game for every criminal who wants to jump in. Knight attacks anathema and is trapped fair game for every evil. As Vev said, there's no IC reason why this would ever happen and I don't know if cabal members would appreciate their primary duties as having to willingly walk into traps all the time. So I am not sure how much this would encourage more PK?

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Ozaru learns to chase, no need for this discussion.

1 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject:

This makes no RP sense whatsoever

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I am surprised this discussion even got this far to be honest. No, we shouldn't be changing the current structure in that way. It adds way too much complication without any true benefit or RP reasons.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject:

Ozaru doesn't need to learn to chase. Chasing is for healers, shamans, and losers

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject:

It's good to brainstorm and throw things out there for the community to chew on or build other ideas off of, Ozaru. This one, though, gets the proverbial thumbs down.

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject:

always good to make suggestions but this one you could've stopped and thought about for a short period and come up with a dozen reasons against it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject:

I can completely empathize with logging on and seeing people quit before you can find them in the 5 minutes it takes them to notice you. That's bullshit. We could probably improve our tracking of that. Right now things are way too loose to be able to have a crackdown.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: