Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 20 hours, 29 mins.

A small exception to DESCRIPTION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindStruck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: A small exception to DESCRIPTION

For reference, a discussion on a related subject here: http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10818

I was talking about this subject with some people/immortals and then was prompted to make a post on these forums, so here we go:

I'm very new here and got into making my character's description. I even got recognition for the description when I logged back in! And yet, something was removed from my description, and that was the mention of clothes...

The thing is, my character was naked (had no armor/clothes of any kind equipped), and all I had described was what amounted to some kind of underwear. I didn't think it was anything out of line. For instance, it's not like I tried to describe her as fully, normally dressed, when in fact she wasn't. And I definitely wouldn't think the text implied her skimpy covering provided any form of protection.

Arguments against doing such: "Your description must not describe your clothing." Pretty simple. The text appears to flat-out forbid it. BUT...

Arguments for: "Your description will look very silly if it contradicts with what you are, in reality, wearing." This is the implied reasoning for the previous sentence. But there isn't much of a contradiction here. It's mainly the difference between people assuming you are absolutely, stark naked, and having just a little something to not be.

Also: "Small personal effects, such as trinkets and jewelry, are permitted in a limited quantity." I figure that clothes which appear insignificant, with wording that does not imply any sort of protective benefit might also fall under this category. Clothes such as.. a mundane bandana, wrist/foot wrappings, and yes, underwear.

Where one might become concerned is asking, "Well how would anyone see THAT under all your armor?"

This is where my choices for gameplay kicked in. If, for instance, my character never wound up wearing clothes/armor, it would never be an issue. But if she did, at that point, the contradictory description of clothes should be removed.

Usually, when people try to describe their clothes/armor - even if they strictly try to always wear a certain type of thing - it doesn't work out because when they die, then they are naked and there is a contradiction. But IF someone wants to describe a certain way they are dressed (or more likely not dressed) which depends on a lack of equipment, I think an exception could be made to allow it so long as they do not wear anything to the contrary or which would conceal that which is described.

Thoughts? I would just like for my pixie to be nearly naked but not completely naked... Razz

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject:

First off, welcome to Abandoned Realms. You're off to a great start as you've already utilized the newbie chat in game and the forum to familiarize yourself. Enjoy yourself and continue asking the questions if you need help.

Back to this description issue. Generally, clothing is not permitted in descriptions as clearly stated in HELP DESCRIPTION. It will contraindicate on the armor you wear. We cannot see your underwear if you are wearing armor or a robe etc.

You say at that moment your character is naked, fair enough, but as you explore and level up you will be gaining armor and wearing it. As I told you in game, not wearing armor won't get you very far, especially past level 10 when you would have needed an approved description.

It's pretty simple, don't put clothing in your description. If you for some reason really really want to roleplay a nearly naked pixie without ever wearing armor or leveling, sure that's fine. As another Immortal suggested in-game, you can go BUY some tailored clothing after you gain some Herald chips to look whatever you like in the Mocker's Tavern. You can then just simple wear that one piece of item. It doesn't have to be in your description.

The description is there for just that, what you LOOK like physically, not what you are wearing.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

If your character is never wearing pants then I'm ok with it. But if your character is caught wearing pants then expect to be debagged in a public place

0 0 0
WindStruck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

I would expect no less than a divine humiliation! Razz

As for the thing about herald chips, I suppose that could work some day, although I am not really sure what they are and how to get them...

I think I DID find that tailor, but I am not sure I like the options...

For instance, if I were to type "buy shirt 'a tiny' 'made of vines'", would I then have an item that reads as "a tiny shirt made of vines"? I don't really think it's what I was aiming for. Tbh, I guess I was expecting just a little more customization when I first heard about this tailoring. Sad

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Hi! Welcome!

That is exactly how the tailor works. You might also be interested in a wardrobe, which is a suit that is worn behind the equipment and must be made of non-rares. People will see it when they GLANCE at you.

You can earn Herald chips mostly by just hanging around the Heralds. They have quests which reward with chips and you can win them at the poker table.

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to AR, WindStruck! I'll graffiti this thread further when I have more time. Maybe. The TMS/TMC rank ratio just reminded me of a 9-to-5 I need to report to.

/jobs are great

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject:

if you fuck up a wardrobe buy command you can get a chip refund by submitting an ISSUE and we'll get to it when we notice. You can pray before making the issue if you want and if an imm is around they'll help you out

it's totally possible to mess it up but the system will handle it

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: