Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Brew/Scribe/Recharge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Brew/Scribe/Recharge

Masters of Magic should be able to brew potions, I.E Sanctuary, Armor, Bless, Stone Skin, Protection, Heal, Cure Serious, Cure disease.

They should also be able to learn to scribe scrolls, like scrolls of shadowform, Fly, Pass Door.

The actual success of the Scribe/Brew would be based on the persons mastery of both the Spell they are trying to brew/scribe and the skill Brew/Scribe. The empty vials would be purchased with maybe Mystic Relics or some other currency that is not super easy to obtain at low levels. The Potions and Scrolls would also be restricted to the level of the person creating them. They could however be sold or traded to other people the same level or higher.

Recharge would be different. It would allow a caster to recharge a stave that he/she has. It would be costly but worth it in the long run. There are some nice staves out there.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject:

this could be interesting. max scroll scribe could be like 80% of what you get in a shop cause they are pros

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject:

Brew? We getting druids back?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject:

beia's just pasting skills from other muds again. It doesn't signify anything except that he's back on the wagon

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject:

how come you (you specifically) keep coming back to this one Beia? Is this just "your" mud, the one that feels like home, or is there something else

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Brew and Scribe are in like 100000 different games. From MUDS to MMOS like WoW, Rift and ESO. I am not sure why we do not have something like this. Of course we could add our flair and make it more interesting!

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Nyct, This is the only Mud I play and I have recruited at least 4 other players from other Muds that I use to play with that stick around here and have active toons, So some of the time I log in and play with them, most of the time I am a lone wolf.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

I think AR needs an emphasis on erotic roleplay with a fully-featured, searchable kink list that you can set up for each individual character.

I've seen this on other MU*'s and they're way more popular than AR so that means we need to implement it.

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
beia's just pasting skills from other muds again. It doesn't signify anything except that he's back on the wagon

I'm probably beating a horse that wasn't brought out, but I'll err anyway and add that ultimately, art is just taking something that already exists, tweaking it to whatever extent and making it your own. Creating characters is approached the same way. The MUDs they're found in are no different. That just to say that I don't think ideas should be filed away because they're already found in other MUDs.

divsky wrote:
I've seen this on other MU*'s and they're way more popular than AR so that means we need to implement it.

I understood the sarcasm but I have a spare couple of pennies to throw here, too.

Divsky's right. A substantial chunk of the first page of 'browsed' MUDs (listed in order of player count) on mudstat are ones with an emphasis on "sexual exploration" and nothing else. I don't understand the anomaly. I just roll my eyes. On the other hand, we run the risk of attracting all kinds of freaks if implementation isn't rigidly approached. My other unsolicited opinion is that fetishes can be taken so far that any association at all with sex is completely lost...in my mind anyway. Got some weirdos out there...

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

DigitalText, you're right. In some form or another, all art is imitation. That being said, I don't have a lot of patience when one player consistently cuts skill descriptions that are lifted from another MUD's skill sets and pastes them in here as an original idea with no interpretation on how it would be a good fit for the game.

Beia, I think you are a valuable member of this community, but I am losing patience with what strikes me every time as pure plagiarism.

However, to address the point that I think is driving this behavior, I think the idea of introducing consumables that the player has some influence over is one that has merit, but I do not think that brew/scribe/recharge is the way to do it. Just imagine how great an invoker could be if he could stock up on scrolls of heal, or a warrior who could carry around potions of haste.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

I dont see any offense in what i said. I just called it what it is. Maybe that hit a little close to home. Obviously if something awesome is discovered we should do our version of it

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

My bad, Vevier. I didn't realize this was something that had been long recurring. And nah, Davairus. There was no offense taken. It's just that I did what I half-figured I'd end up doing: beat a horse that not only wasn't brought out, but as well not brought out because it was already understood to be dead. Mister Johnny Lately meets a piggy bank with no room for two more cents because expenses are already covered. That kind of thing. Haha.

1 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Vev not even going to argue with you about plagerism. Pot meet kettle. Also I never said anything about potions of haste. Scrolls of heal would not be that strong. Defensive buffs would be idea, but even then they would not be full strength. It is just a general idea and obviously I did not fucking create brewing and scribing on my own.

Dav can you for once practice what you preach? Not a single thing about your post is constructive, you just took the opportunity to piss in my Cheerios.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject:

The technical limitations:

wands/staves of heal are already borderline OP on invokers
    we've tried and failed to implement level-appropriate wands that cast invoker spells many times because that amounts to, for example, adding them to the DK class spell list or giving invokers a(nother) mana battery
    it damages the utility of spells like Silence and Blasphemy significantly and these are class-making spells

recharge would be great and I'd love to have it but then we still have the same problems of not being able to have more decent wands and staves in the first place because of technical limitations so it clobbers the idea. You'd be practicing a recharge skill to recharge the best wand you have - your level 25 wand of fire bolt. Either that or you'd be recharging your rare stave that heals you as an invoker which is obviously OP and would be nerfed on the spot (probably by only allowing you to recharge wands on your class spell list).

If we did a recharge skill I think it would be a waste of time because nobody would use it with our current shitty wands. If you have any potential solutions for these problems I'd like to hear them though. It's something Olyn and I have been thinking about off and on for years. I remember having a very long discussion about it when he was building Solace

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: