Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

Hello
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vivessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Hello

Hello. I am new to the game. I created a character last year, but she got deleted. ((I think I played for 2 days was all.))So I thought I would give it another shot and see how things are.

I will be taking it slowly and exploring, training, hunting, and questing. Getting to know the other players and stuff and then I'll check out the pvp scene.

I have read that it is a lot of fun and that there are always things to learn.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips. Please feel free to let me indulge. I will soak it up like a sponge. Very Happy

I look forward to interacting with you all!

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to Abandoned Realms, Vivessa. We're happy to have you. If I'm around when you shoot questions through the newbie channel, I'll answer what I can. If your char ever dies, it's more an opportunity to learn from a mistake. Nothing to be upset over, even if a result of PK.

Sometimes the PvP scene offers to shake your hand first. Haha. Not all the time though.

/welcome sign

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject:

Bump. Come on guys, my love alone isn't enough.

/*cough*
/c vent

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject:

Always nice to see new players, if you're new to muds, learn to carry purple potions, and gyvel potions. You WILL die, whether to players or creatures. You have 61 deaths per character, so do not feel the need to abandon a character WHEN it dies. OUTFIT at guild can help, if you don't know where to find things. Ask questions in newbie chat, or in forums. Most of all, do not forget, above all, this is a game, do your best to enjoy yourself. Welcome!

0 0 0
Nicolai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject:

Welcome!
Best tips I can give is use newbie chat for any questions, lots of people are very helpful.

Also, try to interact with people you run into. There's even more help to be found there, than on newbie channel. Lots of people will assist new players.
Just try to stay in character.

See you around Smile

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to AR! Have fun, be cool, and pk some people.

Good luck!

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Welcome welcome! In addition to learning the mechanics, feel free to ask your fellow travelers and any wandering Heralds or [CABALLED] folk to tell you stories and get to know the current happenings and lore of Serin. We'll be putting out a new issue of the Mystique shortly as well (a player-run magazine).

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Welcome welcome! Have fun!

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

A real female? OMG

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

beia wrote:
A real female? OMG

Yeah. 'Cuz ya know, Vanisse really is only a hamster.
Any guinea pigs in the house, too? Vevier? Esivole?
Come clean with the clandestine Davairus. Ninja

/salt wheel

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject:

You guys are like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQ-frSG5Gs

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject:

LOL (-‸ლ)

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Those crazy Ceridwels, lemme tell ya...

0 0 0
Vivessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: I am sooo Sorry!!!!

I have not even looked in the forums until now! I was not expecting any replies! haha! But anyways, I have not been around since pretty much after I posted in the forums, because I was having a rather silly problem, and have not been back....First off...I cannot even afford any potions as this also ties into my problem. Once I gained level 5, I became hungry and thirsty and I spent my gold on food....But that's when the real problems started. I took some food with me and ventured out of the city, exploring a bit...when my food suddenly decayed and it was literally only 15 minutes or so...THEN I was automatically from bloated to being hungry again...So I had to recall, and buy some more food and since then I decided to just leash myself onto the food stall and just hang out there.....

I am not sure what else to say, except that...Why am I hungry every 15 minutes:? And why does food decay? And decay at the same time I get from full to hungry? It is hindering me from even wanting to explore and or move away from the food stall. I have played muds where you get hungry and thirsty...but food decaying as quickly as you buy it? I have not experienced that before. And 61 deaths you say? So I take it...having a long term rp in this game is out-of-the-question....I did not know that...

Is this an rp mud or ....semi-rp full-blown pk?

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Sorry you've ran into some bumbs on the new road, but no fear, We are here to help. Buying a barrel or canteen for water will help keep you hydrated at all times. Stock up on some food when in town. Buy three or four beefs or breads before you go out adventuring to keep yourself full. If you run out of food you can even eat some body parts from creatures, i.e. brains, ears, etc. All of the hunger/thirst/food decay happens based off of the realism side of the game and keeps you active and aware of whats happening with your character. In terms of PK it adds a separate layer as being hungry/thirsty can affect regeneration and once you reach level ten will start damaging you.

As to answer your rp questions. Long-term rp is the only way I build characters. I suggest reading some of the players in the halls of the exalted part of the forum. Most of those characters didn't hit the 61 death mark, but instead deleted voluntarily as they felt it was time with that character. They did, for the most part, have long term rp. Kewlin logged 768 hours, zelbin 811, uvet 539. I just picked a few from the halls of the exalted list that show longevity and when I interacted with those characters, RP.

There will always be a little bit of a learning curve and thats why us immortals are here. In game some times you can even get other players to assist with answering question or of course utilize the newbie chat, most of the time its entertaining on top of helpful. Thanks for bringing up your concerns instead of just table flipping and ranting.. like... I seriously appreciate that.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Hey Vivessa, thanks for your feedback.

There are different food items that have various "rotting times" (for example slabs of beef last quite awhile, while ducks from Griff rot fairly fast). But food sources can be found all over the place, aside from shops there are sometimes wild edibles (be careful with the mushrooms) and if you can stomach it, you can also eat bits of certain creatures that fall off when you kill them. On top of that several classes such as healers, invokers, rangers and bards can make or preserve their own food and water. This frees you from relying on shops entirely (also part of the reason why healers and rangers are great beginner classes).

As far as the 61 deaths, very few folks actually wind up expending all 61. If by chance you get to that point, there are also options to request a "con quest" or a personalized quest in exchange for a life extension from the imms if your RP is excellent. Depending on your character's storyline, he/she may get into more or less fights which would affect its ultimate lifespan. There are a number of peaceful nobles that were around for many years, compared with caballed fighters who devoted their lives to combat and went out with a bang. And some players have developed long term histories, by creating multiple generations of a noble lineage, etc. The sky's the limit really when it comes to RP.

We have diverse players here, some who are here for the PK experience and others who play primarily for RP, but RP is required for everyone, the only ooc channel is the newbie chat. Feel free to chat with me in game if you see me around!

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Hi vivessa! Welcome! Buy bread from seringale bakery! They last a long time and is relatively cheap! I think breads are like most popular food out there! We can take a vote on it! The food at the academy rots really fast i think that is why you faced this problem. Try exploring around the towns first, there are food sold in every single city.

A lot of level 50s and experienced players are mentors. They will definitely do their part to help new players out.

0 0 0
Vivessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: So many helpful replies and advice!

Thank you all for the help, tips, and suggestions! I think I will give it a go and do some exploring...Although I really have no idea where any other towns are....Hmm is there an auto walk feature or path find? If not, no worries...I'm so glad there is a map! Very Happy....As for the bread, I will go look for such and a canister or barrel eh? Hmm, I might have to see about such as well...Is there a website with item listings...like for example a crude barrel can be found from a scorched imp in the valley of fire....Just made it up for the example hehe...

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Keep an eye out for caravan attendants near each major city that you can 'hire' to take you (slowly) between destinations of interest. Riding the caravan can help teach you one path to get where you want to go (there are often multiple ways of getting there). These caravans are in the process of being expanded/updated so if you have any feedback on that feel free to let us know, for example if they're missing any major locations.

As far as items, you can look up stats and item locations for almost every item in the game using the codex here: http://abandonedrealms.com/realms/areas/items/. This is curated by the Mystic coterie, who keep it up to date.

Also, sorry for missing your question earlier, you can usually look up anything you aren't familiar with on the help system which is synchronized between the game and the website (e.g. help 'guild commission')

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject:

I'll say most healers will have no problem with you sending them a tell for nothing more than food.

The closest thing to autowalk would be the 'whe' command. For example, if I'm in Escismir (which is through the Void and northeast of Grand Thalos), I can 'whe mab.' This will highlight a path on the map in yellow that'll take me straight to the haggard faerie, herself. Another good tool to use to help you in exploring or finding your way back through places is to leave some quests unfinished. "Quest" will list them. Then you can 'track #" and if for example that quest is out of Seringale, you have your path back to Seringale.

Now con death. I don't prefer an early end to my character of course, but if the con death nears: ah well. Save as many trains as you can to keep that con up, keep a stash of purple spotted pills or recall potions as you're able and try not to let pdeaths or mdeaths frustrate you. If gear is the cause for regret, use the codex Vanisse provided a link to, to find what it was you had and where to get it. Alternatively, ask for help IC. Again, results depend on whom you ask.

If you don't know where the pills and recalls are or even lack the gold to buy them, interaction with other characters may help. Depending on who they are, once again.

When all else fails, take a break and breathe RL for a bit, then come back when you're ready.

Keep those questions coming as you need.

Last edited by DigitalText on Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: