Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 14 hours.

What would you like to see in a new area?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: What would you like to see in a new area?

Title is pretty explanatory. I'm working on a new area and I'm open to suggestions about what you'd like to see. The 'theme' of the area is already set, so don't like suggest the area is a giant ancient Egypt-themed pyramid with mummies and stuff. Theme is set. But post any idea/thoughts you have, be it new items, area layout, pk ramifications, quests/secrets, what you think makes areas good vs. lame, and so on. I'm really excited about the area and want you guys to get lots of enjoyment out of it.

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see some more secret stuff. Stuff in room descriptions you can examine to interact with hidden objects or mprogs in the room. Traps are nice or ways to trap people just as an example of what I'm thinking like an underground place you can fill with water to trap people who don't have boatts or up high you can use a bladed weapon to cute a bridge so you have to fly to escape the room

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Something uniquely flavored for Denadlyr would be nice. Perhaps a crazy quest.

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject:

Not trying to be funny per se and waste a post, but it'd be cool not to get slapped by npcs for interacting with them. Obviously inappropriate or retarded socials should earn a slap, followed by an incendiary remark,...but I suppose it comes down to how involved the area builder wants to get in building.

Wonder what the theme will be...the end of suspense will tell us, when it's put in!

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject:

Haha that mob slapping is a great point.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject:

I agree with ottif.

1 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

I agree with ottif, some kind of mini-quest to be done. But can we keep the traps to a minimum? Not like those inside redhorne where you can't word can't recall and the room obliterates you every hour or something. Getting stuck like that sucks. At least give an escape or something for people.

Some good equipment that requires a small party to kill would be nice too! But please don't make it another winter that requires hours to grind my way through.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

What if the traps were viewable from nearby rooms with "scout", it would allow you to just see it by standing around and proceeding slowly

so you type scout and wait, and then after a second or two you would see this pop up:
** range 1 north *** (identical to scan output?)
A giant axe swings through the room.
** range 3 north ***
A giant axe swings through the room.

(repeats every 3 seconds)

that way you would be able to time your walk through safely if you just watched and waited for the opportunity.

I could imagine just typing "scout" or "scout direction" and waiting to see if there's any danger around, and the scouting would stop once the character moves forward. I don't know how you guys feel about that but it feels fine to me to explore a new area slowly with. as long as that was busy enough to feel worth doing but also limited so it isnt all over the mud. it would help to define a ranger as being an actual good scout

It actually seems like 'scout' should toggle a state of "scouting" and not just a spammed command after typing this out . it feels more natural the more i think of it... i'm wondering why i havent done this shit now. it seems too spammy to replace scan with

thieves should have a counterpart but I dont know what. I guess we'd call it spider senses or something

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject:

If I'm understanding it right I like that idea a lot of the swinging axes and scout and dynamics like that. Would add a lot I think and make things more challenging. Maybe even a room like that (scouting north, you see an axe swing) could be entered only one person at a time. It would add a lot to the basic fight your way to boss, kills boss, loot. Something like this reminds me of FFXI where you really had to have some skill to progress on boss fights, you couldn't just follow people around.

Also some rare/unique rot death items would be nice to see. Rotdeath really helps with the hoarding issues.

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
thieves should have a counterpart but I dont know what. I guess we'd call it spider senses or something

You could give rangers 'survey' and then give thieves 'scout,' instead.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject:

Make a blood altar that opens doors if you bleed on it and opens another section of the area, and then after you clear that uou bleed on the altar again. Do this 3 times and you can fight a boss, which is a charged up vamp. Awesome

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I like places you can hang out and RP or have a cabal meeting. Things like furniture, food, etc are cool. And things you can interact with, like a lever that opens something or a window you can look through.

I also like places you can use in a pk like the clouds and the one-way mirrors.

0 0 0
grant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

While we're on the subject of traps:

Would like to see more reasons to use the disable trap skill.
Would like more trapped/locked loot chests.

1 0 0
grant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to clarify my previous statement.

As it stands, most areas you can steamroll with a tank, healer(s), and damage dealer(s).

Would be nice if there was more incentive to take rogue classes along too. Both of through adding traps, etc, and re-evaluating their skillsets.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Gotcha, and I agree. Same thing with rangers' keen sight.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

I would love to see an area that was themed for bards. Like you need a bard to sing a certain song to progress if possible.

1 0 0
grant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject:

Actually, that just made me think of something, Andrael.

There's a lot of opportunity to incorporate class-specific skills into areas by way of quests, locked rooms, etc. ie: singing a song or casting a specific spell.

This could serve two purposes:

1) It rewards people playing the less popular classes, creating diversity.
2) It can hinder the power classes from reaching particular places.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of a number of skills which could and in my opinion, SHOULD be utilized in more area objectives:

Wands/scrolls/staves
Disable trap/pick lock
Detect hidden/keen sight
Hide/camouflage/sneak
Scan/scout/probe
Hook shot/grappling hook?/fly
Cleanse room/eternal day/everlasting night/create light
Pass door/blink/ethereal passage/astral walk

Just some ideas to get the creative juices flowing.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:

The first reason I can think of as to why we don't have more of those is the pk implications of having a bard run up to some door and sing a song and get to a place you can't gank him in. People would have little circlejerks in them.

I'm actually OK with this though - I think it would be fine to implement some, if we understood the implication in advance, and change them when it becomes a problem.

It's not OP to let a player get a gank or two (or escape) because he knows about area secrets, but it would be a problem to let it get out of hand.

We could also consider mitigating factors like kicking people out after a certain amount of time or trapping them inside for that amount. Or having aggro mobs in there to make it undesirable to enter without a group. Or have an alternate entrance that's only a room or two longer.

The circus ticket mob doesn't seem like it's a problem, and it's fun to fight in the circus. So I think this is OK

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking about creating an area for rogues like this, but in the context of a rogue version of the mystic challenge area, where they need to get through it by solving puzzles using their rogue skills. The existing one is gated by Mystics and is basically a series of no-exit rooms meant to test your knowledge of spells so it is not really feasible to PK in. But we could consider designing the rogue one differently.

0 0 0
grant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Incorporating skills into challenges like this could be solely for the purpose of loot, too. Just saying.

Trapped chest for thieves/shadow
Ethereally hidden items for shadow/monk?
Musical chest/door/etc. for bard.
Holy room for paladin.

I really like the idea of adding some class-specific loot.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: