Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 10 hours, 19 mins.

Boats (and hoes)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Boats (and hoes)

How would everyone feel about non-traditional boats like seashell ring and wading boots only working while they are worn?

1 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I really dislike this. I have enough trouble remembering just to have a boat on me. there are times where I almost get my ass kicked because I'll forget that I had put all sack earlier and now my hands are full as I fumble to put something away or drop as my enemy barrels down on me sitting at the edge of demea Bay. what if the boat takes up a set item spot? that would be pretty detrimental. interrupt your set to cross the lake... this seems like an unnecessary hindrance.

0 0 0
DigitalText

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject:

Olyn proposes an interesting change. Tayyah has a point too, though. I'm both undecided and fine either way.

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject:

A few things. First of all it only makes sense imo that a ring works when worn not just sitting somewhere deep in your inventory. Also, Tayyah what you just described is I think exactly what the intent here is. Make things more challenging and more immersive. Lastly it is really easy to make a trigger to put 1. in your sack and take out seashell ring when you hit water and don't have a boat, but that 2 seconds give or take can be crucial when trying to escape. my trigger always takes out a ring/boat when I hit the no boat message. Why in the world would you ever have your inventory full anyway? that is what containers are for after all

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject:

While I agree it seems more realistic for magical rings to only work if worn, I'd find it a bit weird that you would have to perform an extra action to use the ring, but not a mundane boat/raft which is in your inventory and not being interacted with. If you change the ring for realism sake, maybe you'd have to drop your boat and sit on it and paddle.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject:

This would really make storm giants a lot more appealing to me. Otiff you must not delve into the world of giants very often. Especially when I am fighting someone who can blind, because now the gyvels fail so you need like 4 in your inventory, plus minimum 4-6 weapons, that's full inventory right there, maybe with 1 or 2 slots to wiggle with. that's not including an earring or javelins or arrows, those all have to be removed and put back into a container when not in use because the extra slot is to valuable Razz change is always scary and off putting for me, this one freaks me out a bit I have trouble keeping up with aliases and upkeeping triggers as is.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject:

Tayyah, play healer... got fly, got cure blindness, got weapon ward. Use a staff, spirit shield, spam that holy word

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I like the idea Vanisse but having to stand on boats to use it you might as well have to paddle east, west, etc. but that seems silly.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject:

I found this suggestion to be absolutely fine - we would still be able to just get rafts. Its important to be able to run around uninhindered and worth taking a weight hit for. It seems like an equally great trade-off to wear something helpful to avoid that weight hit. It could also be included that the seashell ring gives you +mental break or something else useful.

While I do think this is a very good suggestion, I would have to acknowledge we are all kind of already spoiled and some of us would not appreciate the change, and therefore we'd have to make it more appealing than just forcing them to be worn now.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it's a bad idea but if it were up to me I would not change an old, established item like the seashell ring unless there was a big change to the area it's part of.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

This was originally brought up because of an upcoming revamp.

Paddle <direction> is a silly idea and I don't support it haha. Though, standing/fighting on a boat might be interesting if you could knock your opponent off and get some whacks in while they are spluttering around in the water.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm a retard. this isn't a bad change. I read it as all boats. ugh. I need a vacation... can't even read right anymore

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

yeah I can see myself wanting to wear it all the time with an affbreak item. Its just more incentive to wear that item all the time, even though it isnt a "3 dam" item
there is a belt you can gamble in darkhaven that I used to already gamble just to have a wearable boat with good stats. its much harder to pry that than to just steal it

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject:

Smile then the elf warrior that already has weight issues has to wear the seashell ring that she can't benefit anything from, aside from needing to wear it to travel on water. Changing the seashell ring for immersibility is fine by me, but maybe you can consider giving an option of a lighter boat? Unless there already is one that i am not aware of. Thanks.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject:

Maybe a balsa wood boogey board that is ultra light but takes away a 1 dex.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject:

just do away with boats and invoke the swim command that takes a lot more movement, you really shouldn't be able to float on a raft as fast as you can run or "fly" on water. WOuld be interesting for pk purposes.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject:

If it ain't broke,,,

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject:

In some ways this is already broken. We audited weapons and armor a year or two ago but boats, as far as I know, have never gotten a look. What we have is a random assortment of items that various builders threw into their areas (listed below) with wildly different ideas of what their weights should be. Note that the two ring on the list weigh 2 pounds and 10 pounds respectively (both unrealistic). The lightest traditional boat is a canoe that weighs 10 pounds (too light). My personal preference is the rings, boots, belt should be worn, with the rings getting additional stats and negligible weight, and making one or two of the boats/canoes "magical" giving it a weight of 6-10 pounds. The rest would be cumbersome the way they are now, just a bit more standardized. Note that the wearable items would be magical with a "waterwalking" affect rather than being type boat. This could potentially be a spell given to a class like invoker and put on potions and scrolls as well.

item weight in pounds

seashell ring 2 (designed to be worn)
skiff 24
wheelbarrow 100
wooden canoe 10
large raft 30
old boat 30
kayak 80
floating belt 2 (designed to be worn)
small wooden canoe 10
large wooden raft 20
large wooden raft 100
small wooden canoe 110
large pink sailboat 200
wooden canoe 40
large raft 30
small rowing boat 20
ring inscribed with a sailing ship 10 (designed to be worn)
pair of wading boots 15 (designed to be worn)

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

if we are changing things, maybe if you have a raft (or other BIG floating item) then your groupmates are allowed to use it without needing their own boat too? that's always been a minor nuisance IMO, and also has pk'ing implications. it would make up some more of the ground of having to carry a big boat to be free of wearing ione

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I have some reservations about changing this. philosophically it makes plenty of sense, but AR has only had water as a minor PK roll and moving it to a higher one has a lot of different impacts. Personally I would likely only roll flying chars or ones that have easy access to fly since I don't want to bother with things, I am lazy. I do like the idea in general though, especially the Waterwalking part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydk0EnUbnjk

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: