Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 14 hours.

Newbie PK development
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject:

To makesure n00bs know what to expect from the forum, I think we should take any posts where ozaru and nyct reference each other and put them in one thread. And have a random m1co post each page.

2 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject:

This is how I picture ozaru in every post of his lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqUk28OwHs

ozaru, if you believe the immortals are cheating then you need to move on. Its the only sane thing to do. Only an insane person would continue to play a mud with immortals cheating at the game to kill them (e.g. looking up where they are, loading equipment). But I am sure you won't be going anywhere. Because the fact of the matter is, I find it very hard to believe a cheating Immortal, if that even existed, would single out a specific person, especially when a person makes it obvious that they are a big crybaby. And I KNOW you are smart enough to also know that. To be perfectly frank, that just hasn't been the case with ANY immortal or player that has ever been caught cheating in the game's 20 year history. That's because cheating a HABITUAL behavior. People very rarely get singled out by cheaters. Cheaters just cheat ALL the time until caught. That's precisely what makes it so certain that every cheater will eventually be caught and punished.

If you feel the gameplay is unsatisfying in a way that it feels like people just exploiting bugs you should raise that. You can ALSO communicate that to us in a manner that is not incredibly immature, rude and disrespectful, and leaves us looking at you as the problem instead of what you thiink is a problem. Communication is a two way street and this hostile communication between you and the Immortals is ALL your own doing. Please leave the rule enforcement to the Immortals and do not post unproductive bullshit about other players on the forums, or its going to be your UNdoing. The forum rules are very well known and I am sick and tired of seeing you HABITUALLY break them, so do yourself a favour and go read them.

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Lol Ozaru, I didn't call you m1co as I recall I said Dav is treating you like he used to treat m1co. See m1co was kinda cool in some ways and his knowledge of the game clearly showed his love for it.

The learning curve is steep in this game. It wasn't until I was blinded and PKed for the first time that I learned wtf gyvels were and how to get them and still a while to come before I stocked up on the right amount and knew how many to carry at a given time. If you don't know to shield when someone uses a bow you need to take some time and read the help files. That is what we all did, reading is fundamental. Most of the reason people play any mud is the community, if you really can't "learn my way to the ranger guild on a new mud " muds are probably not for you anyway, it is time to move on to MMOs.

Also I can tell you that Nadrin got better through grit and practice. I've witnessed the improvement first hand over these past few years. And I don't know any of these people on this game personally or talk to any of them OOC. I was in #spoon for a bit but found it killed immersion so I never been back. Just sshh and stop taking things so personally because you just sound bitter. It is just a game, if you don't like it play somewhere else. If you like play it. The community is as much a part of a game as the engine.

im sorry but that video is spot on dav haha

1 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject:

Wulfgar anyone?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject:

Wulfgar is fucking gone dude. True, there have been Immortals who have had moments of failure, but so have you. You have made mistakes and you are allowed to play. Everybody who wants to play Abandoned Realms is allowed to play it as long as they abide by the rules we all agreed on when we rolled up. I will defend those people too. Stop being so judgmental. Just be grateful you have a game to fucking play because the world sucks less because you do. Be fucking thankful you have that and remember nobody here owes you a damn thing. The Imms are not Imms because they intend to cheat. Those peopel get BANNED

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject:

My only point in bringing him up is you are stating that immortals are beyond reproach. Nyc is saying I am an imm how dare you accuse me of cheating, you are saying the same thing. Then you go on this rant that imms never cheated. But thank you for clarifying that point that yes we are all human and should be treated with respect. You can keep making snide jokes about me and empowering the rest of the pbase to think its ok to insult someone else.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject:

way to derail a thread about improving this game for newbies. you guys. please return to the original post.

i am all for content to improve accessibility for newbies. i think there's already a newbie section on forum where people used to post their walkthroughs - we could probably update some links to them from the main website or have them approved by emissaries (that still a thing?) - maybe have ratings/comments on them?

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:

Nycticora
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:49 am Post subject:
vets might have to agree to stop intentionally training the new blood wrong as a joke

ozaru and fireballer are somebody's fault imho

2nd post in this thread, I didn't derail it this immortal did. An immortal trashing players

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject:

ozaru you are coming over as VERY insecure. This is just a passing remark, aimed at whoever your mentors are (which clearly is not you), and it is enraging you. There is literally no blame being put on you. Stop taking things so personally. Its actually a fairly reasonable and frankly sympathetic remark in your favor. Its not fun for anyone being around someone who loses their temper over every little thing like that. We are trying to solve this problem and that is also eventually going to be in your favor. But that won't happen if you can't help derailing the thread because your ego is getting bruised. You also need to face reality yourself if you ever going to step up your game. You can't grow if you don't acknowledge where you need to work. YOU NEED TO FACE REALITY. So just fucking cut it out with the fucking bullshit excuses why its someone else's fault everytime you got wrecked! Fucking accusing Immortals of cheating with zero evidence is fucking ridiculous fucking shit. I have been pk'ed on this game by smotpoker of all people one time on a level 14 and I certainly didnt go the forums crying he was cheating because I forgot my fucking boat and he guessed correctly I didnt have one, I got guild outfit and bought a boat, and you want to know something else. Ric Flair would not be 16 time world champion if he hadnt lost the belt 15 times would he, so quit being a sore loser

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

I kind of did know this was going to happen when I posted that, he has a point. It was actually kind of my point as well - rather than looking at why he's frustrated everybody has become incensed because he's doing it wrong (and it's his fault)

I mean, it is actually, but I was also encouraging the behavior. This is actually what is training the intermediate players wrong. Once everybody is satisfied this whole thread is Ozaru's fault everything will return to normal and no progress will have been made

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

Sigh...

Back to the original thread. I like the guides idea, I've written ones myself in the past so I know it's quite alot of work if you want to be comprehensive. Maybe we can think of a template we can use for race/classes/cabals etc., so it'll be less work for the people filling them in. Want kind of sections should we have? Skills/Spells/Combat/PvE/PvP/etc.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

I dont know what the fuck that means

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject:

Literally Nadrin, Melandrox and Vanisse mentioned guides for newbies on maybe classes, walkthoroughs etc. Scroll up and read.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

I was thinking things won't be that bad if we structure it a little more. For example,

1. Basic of PVP in general. This covers items that spreads across all classes. Info on AC, hitroll/damroll, lagging skills, command input lag, murder lags etc. Mentions of purple potions, fly scrolls, pass door potions etc etc. All these are fall under general guide.

2. Then we can move on to class specific for example warrior where we talk about combat styles, weapon types, skills, matchups etc etc.

Then of course, some reputable player or Imms have to proof read this, change whatever info they think is wrong. (Example my understanding of AC could be a little bit different than what it truly gives. I may think it is crap.) The imms can come and correct all these "wrong" info.

There could be other categories of the guide, but i thought this would be a start.

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Ozaru makes a good point and you really shouldn't sweep it under the rug because he is a cry baby. That sort of baiting and blatant thread jacking from a top level imm is really unbefitting and I promise turns newbies away. It was a funny accurate statement, but it was uncalled for completely.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Take any off topic issues to a new thread. It's not that hard to create a new topic.

I wonder if we could incorporate the log boards into the guide sections.

For stuff like: "Make sure you have your sanctuary up" maybe there could be a link to a log where someone's aura drops mid-fight and the damage they take is very apparent.

Or in class specific guides, if you know you've got some logs of your old badass toons you could dig up some old logs where you used your skills well and reference it or break it down as a how to.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

These essays about the "basics" have already been done before and they're sitting on the website just begging to be read. A wiki to better organize it might help. I didn't see anyone specifically mention "wiki" but that's a good system because what happens with a website is it ages and it begins to need edits and updates. I would prefer players getting some in-game rewards to motivate better articles. Like a unique pet whatever

2 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject:

The only way to learn is to do.

Learning the layout needs to be first, getting comfortable walking around. Ergor had a great comment for that we need to let the newer people lead more. I have actually taken notice of this in myself and consciously have been making an effort since to get other people to lead if I feel they could use it.

Reading all those guides is amazing for learning the game. There is no guide that is going to teach someone to pk. no essay that will make you stop shaking when the realization sets in that your about to lose all your nice shit. this is such a difficult thing to teach. doing is how we all got taught. that is the only way to really learn to pk. they need to learn how to equip, how to use their character efficiently. these things can be read. Getting summoned to the river is how we all learned to carry a boat. Because pk development also means getting a thicker skin because dieing sucks, but its also unavoidable. NO ONE lives for ever. So, I feel that learning to pk cant be read. The basics need to be written into guides. preparation for right up until pk. My number one suggestion for someone who has just gotten the handle of the basics (can get from city to city, most likely not blind, but that's not important quite yet, knows how to get to the red dragon, knows how to keep all stats maxed and a basic understanding of the weapon style/type combat module) is to join Knights. Super friendly atmosphere, generally someone will answer any questions that might arise, and will have tips and tricks that might help, as well as being forced into pk situations via cabal item warfare. Because lets be realistic, if you don't have the basics down enough to at least slip into knights, you probably don't have enough of a grasp of the game to start pking

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

About learning how to equip and get around. Would it be nice to have something for newbies like a quiz questionnaire thing where if you answer correct questions you could get some helpful items? It could be a teaching opportunity. We could put together a quiz bank of questions, sort them by difficulty/level. Prizes could include: gold, a few experience tokens (the Extra Lucky Tokens), a bag of purples/gyvels, a couple of recall potions, weapons/armor, a pocket mouse

About learning how to pk. Having dedicated pk mentors might be neat (like what Vev mentioned). What if, aside from being a member of your guild you could learn pk techniques from a vet as "Student of x". Maybe could build a few fighting clans (not cabal-specific; maybe use the four houses of Winter) and the students could earn reputation for the clan in arena duels, and the clan masters could duke it out for glory. (My other thought is, if there was a specific channel for that kind of thing, would it help decrease the ooc in gtell/say/tell interactions?)

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Seems like Warlords could be a natural fit for teaching newbies how to fight.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: