Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 3 hours.

Monster pots and rankings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be vehemently opposed to instituting two week periods that alternate between monster potions and cakes being available and not being available?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 16

Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Monster pots and rankings

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I meant to vote yes. the leveling system is fine. Pretty sure a legion just deleted because they couldn't get to 50 and stagnated and deleted at 47
I honestly would be much more happy with just removing cakes/drink me period and keeping potions. I'm much more prone to leveling by myself than I am to get help

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

don't make this poll about me nothing wrong with the ranking system, I was impatient and waited at lvl 47 for about 2 days.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

if you think it's fine why did you vote to change it

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

because the poll is contrary to being not worded poorly

Last edited by Olyn on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I went to the Trump school of poll wording.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

I think the eat me and drink me stuff needs to go. We already have overlord favors, surges, and guild rewards to help with ranking. It is fairly obvious that this mechanic is being stretched to the point of borderline abuse.

It just seems like people will just delete their characters too quickly and no one ever plays their pinnacled characters. I appreciate you compensating for the small player base, but maybe you've made it too easy?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject:

Do away with the cakes, period. Their existence makes pinnacled characters feel way less valuable.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject:

Well what about when people are stuck at like level 41? I mean you might not necessarily need to have 5 stacks for it to still be a healthy part of the game right

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject:

If you're at 41 and there are a bunch of 50s, then solo to 42. Problem solved.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

Its been my experience that its really hard after level 30. Even the strongest classes run significantly out of steam in mid 30s. How are you doing it? did you find a mob to cheese with icicles or something

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

I ranked pretty easy on my giants...just on the regular mobs. I could solo Solace in the mid 30s and move onto medics shortly after. The monster potions makes it cheese.

Have you ranked a character recently dav with the monster pots?

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

says an elite level completionist that fully trains his characters. I would say that davairus description on later levels is probably closer to the average player. There are only a few things that I can think of that are easier to solo later levels that can be done without potions. clerics and fire giants come to mind if you abuse their vulns. Those can only go so far though. Invokers and monks can solo medics and the higher level shit, but I would like to see you do that with pretty much anything else without using potions. not likely going to be efficient.

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

sometimes i wonder if some of you guys just try and find shit that's not broken so you can suggest it be changed.

1 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

You have to play to your class's strengths and know what mobs you can take. You are going to be fighting mobs that are going to give you <150xp per kill. You might only be able to get through two or three of them per round. Yes it's a grind but it is viable. I hardly train my characters at all and have been able to solo into the 40s.

Things to take into consideration:
-- the protection spell affects 4/15 classes (necro protection creature means one third of classes have a protection spell for ranking)
-- healers, shamans, and invokers have their own sanctuary
-- Illus and necros have insane DPS. Even when your army penalized xp performance it was viable to load up an illithid illus army and solo in the 40s
-- warrior classes just brute force shit; even if you were lazy about training your defenses, a healthy dose of solo ranking will take care of that problem

-- find mobs that have bad vulns is a given but also find mobs that play to your resistances. Giant physical resistance is easy but for example, the torturers in the gasteride basement do life drain which halflings resist. Get creative

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Ottif, there is a claim that the ranking system is broken. The claim being that by making it possible to skyrocket characters to 50 in 10 hours, you are creating half-baked toons that people have no attachment to and thus delete in a week.

For a game that takes pride in RP, the ease of ranking provides for less RP development on the path to 50 and a high character turnover is terrible for game continuity. Most of the big name NPCs were players who put in more than a year and had solid RP.

Making it harder to rank would perhaps get people to take more pride in their characters, value that level 50 character more highly, keep that level 50 character longer, and prompt more mid-40s and mid-30s pk which would develop lowbie alliances/rivals early.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Triple post ftw: could we bring hard core mode back?

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how trying to force someone to conform to your type of playing is the answer. Guess what, I played 20 years ago, 15 years, 10 years, when it was the gauntlets, when it was a fucking struggle to get to level 40 even, let alone 50, when you could get -90k exp holes. I still deleted over a couple deaths back than, I am going to today. This isn't the answer. Making the game harder isn't going to make more people want to play. this is only going to drive people away not bring them in.

0 0 0
Cartsel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject:

Maybe I am the average joe and like training fully. But I think this ability to rush to 50 (where admittedly you can train much more quickly) is a bit crazy. Yes, there is a much smaller player base than years ago, which would make it harder to get to the upper levels. I think perhaps potions should cut off at some point. Fine, get through the first X ranks, but after that there should have to be a point wherein one has to play the "character". As it stands right now, I have seen and experienced a 6 hour run to pinnacle from about 35. It is crazy that someone can get to 50 in under three days.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject:

Of course it is possible to grind up. People grinds maple story that gives you 0.00000001% exp per kill. It is just a matter of what kind of setting you want for everyone that is all. Personally, I think grinding is a waste of time. I stay away from heavy grinding games. If I have to kill mobs that gives me 30 exp per kill I would just stop playing.

It really depends on how much time each individual have. If I have 1hr of free time to play a day, and I have to use that 1 hr a day for 2 months of solo-killing nymphs just to hit 50 before I can have fun with that character, i'll prob not start at all until maybe I have the time to sit down and grind, which god knows when.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: