Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 8 hours.

Protection spell should be removed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Protection spell should be removed?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
95%
 95%  [ 19 ]
Maybe
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

grant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject:

Merlandox, I was only harping on the subject because I don't like the tone of this thread.

It's probably more constructive to the community and the game if you come up with ideas that enhance underpowered race/class/alignment combos than ask to outright remove skills that are completely ingrained. (Note: opposite alignment warrior vs hybrid is certainly NOT the most mismatched fight out there by far, so it came off even less constructive than it might have otherwise.)

As an example, you could have asked for warcry or berserk or something to grant a degree of damage reduction against opposite alignment foes to even the odds a bit.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

@Grant I thought you just said there's no need to balance because this game isn't geared around 1v1 anyway. I do listen intently. The other players did ask me to I quote: "learn to pk" instead of talking shit. That's the tone you guys set instead of flyndance though. Anyway all I did was share my two cents on this matchup which i regretted doing it, so I would read instead of comment from now on.

And I thought someone said DK are supposed to smite good aligned or something? I'll propose giving the old atonement to DK, that does something -20hit -20 dam, -300max hp debuffs and mangle through sanc with every use against all good aligned. 1 round lag. Yeah, sounds about right. You guys then have legit reason to 6v1 the DK to death. Legit. if 6 isn't enough go 10. Full proof strat.

Ok, I'm ranting, I'm out of this convo. Cheers.

edit: By the way, why don't you ask yourself how many gnomes are being played right now? Instead of saying gnomes are getting their ass stomped and they are MEANT to get their ass stomped, how about thinking of ways to make them viable instead of just saying they are MEANT TO GET STOMPED because duh, they are gnomes. Certain Racial weakness makes the class too weak and thus nobody plays them. Reduces variety dosn't it? You're a very smart guy grant, i'm sure you have very bright ideas, i'm too dumb and noob to think of shit, so i'll leave it to you. Anw, this forum is toxic as fk, so i'm out. Cheers.

Last edited by Merlandox on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:44 am; edited 3 times in total

0 0 0
Flyndance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

Grant, I think i agree with you that warcy or berserk should grant a degree of damage reduction against opposite aligned foes.
Why didn't i think of that; stupid me.

0 0 0
grant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Of course there is a need to balance races/classes/alignments.

Gnome is a great example because in most cases, the HP gains from int/wis don't outweigh the severe blunt vulnerability and weak physical attributes. They could use some sort of inherent racial ability that makes them more attractive to play for sure.

But rather than take away, we should think "what can we add that won't have severe consequences?" In my example, if you gave warcry a defensive boost against opposite alignment, you'd probably have to give rogues a damage boost against opposite alignment to counter it. Etc. etc. It's obviously a fine balance the IMMs have to strive for, but I think that overall, that type of input is more useful. That's just my opinion though.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

You know, just a few months ago Dav or Nyc asked what sort of race/class combos are weak and asked for possible racial legacies to go with them... maybe we should revisit that thread with most of this post. We just moved from getting rid of protection in its entirety to just giving everyone a protection like ability.

1 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

you guys really like to bitch about shit

the gnome vulnerability to bash was dramatically reduced at some point in the recent (<10 years) past

also barrier sucks. The spell is bad. It's worthless in pk. It's a noob trap spell designed so people who suck at AR will use it and fail.

When Barrier was released it was op on gnomes because it squashed their vulnerability and turned it into an immunity, so they didn't take extra damage from blunt weapons at all. The extra damage from the vuln was not removed from mana. Since gnomes have incredibly high parry ability this made gnome invokers OP

so a stopgap change was made to make vulnerabilities override immunities

I already cleared the fix with Davairus, I will eventually change Barrier to deal more mana damage if the target has a vuln instead of bypassing Barrier. But the end effect of that is barrier will still suck and you will be pissed off and delete in frustration and act like a dickhead in this thread anyway because that's what the spell is designed to cause you to do.

So I really have no incentive to make a change here.

That's why I prefer to work on other things, like fixing Shaman boons and helping new imms get set up.

Some of you guys get these ideas and I appreciate it. It's tough as an imm to know when to spill the beans on these things and when not to. On the one hand Merlandox's post is very harsh and he's obviously pissed off about what he perceives to be a gimped race. But on the other hand I do not believe the race is gimped and I have many strong reasons to believe that. If I share all of those reasons to the forum I will be depriving players who take the time to explore these mechanics and understand the race fully of having the opportunity to obtain an advantage over other players through this knowledge, because now everyone who reads my forum post knows about it. And it will mean players who prefer to obtain knowledge through exploration won't have the opportunity to do it.

That's also why most of the time the only appropriate response for an imm to make is to dismiss your concerns. If we tell you why you are wrong we deprive you of gameplay.

1 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

This thread is still going on?

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

start a new one

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: