Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 2 hours.

Is the game dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Is the game dead

I mean this with all seriousness, is this game dead? everytime I log on no one is around. Granted I usually log on after 8pm but on weekends ill just check and same thing through out the day no one is here.

0 1
boo,
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

Not yet. I'll still roll some n00bs. And ranix.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

well I tried to be a staple... life happens though... I'm on a break for now. but I will be back eventually

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

ozaru, this is all up to you to decide for yourself. There are plenty of people who would log on this mud from 1998 and decide that since there isnt even 60 players online at peak anymore, this game died. If you think that's ridiculous, let me tell you how often I heard it while we were still at 30 peak. No, the game isn't dead. Its up and running. We just opened a new area and a new class in the last month. That's what you call dead?

Here's a kind suggestion. How about you just quit with the negativity about the playerbase size. Why? Because its triggering. Nothin like a good old "is this game dead" post to encourage a dude to reactivate his wow sub. If it were dead, then it either (a) wouldnt be running or (b) wouldnt be receiving updates. Most likely there wouldn't be a forum either. Thanks ozaru.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I've been online every time you prayed shit and it's been pretty hard not to deny you btw, you're putting that shit on the front page of the mud because pydude sees newbie chat

knock it off

1 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

You know, in all seriousness I feel like we've gotten in to this situation where the playerbase is small so the Imms have tried to make it easier to train and rank, but doing so inadvertently took away any sort of pride or ownership of having done so. I'll even admit that I'm guilty of training up a character and ranking him to fifty only to say eh, I think I would rather try to make a necro and steamroll everyone (spoiler, I couldn't), get bored of that and roll something else.

The body counts have been way down and there isn't that much pk happening. Again something else I haven't been contributing to. People will just log in, see nothing is going on and then log out.

Is the game dead? No, there's a lot of exciting changes and more to come I expect, but we need to come up with a creative solution to this problem.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject:

Vote you fools.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject:

Vertas: Presumably you are referring to surge/scarecrows/quests ? Relics? Keeper cabal? Or gambling/set items? I don't think its a bad thing to include these kind of things for helping the decent casuals to close the gap with the hardcores. I think what you outlined there is more of feeling maxed out. If you werent sitting around in the best possible set of eq, with everything on the map defeated and had the roleplay basis to enable it to whip everyones candy ass, then there was more that could've been done with it. I mean at some point you have to build a character that you can create conflict with or probably risk boredom

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Ozaru: instead of posting stupid threads like this, how about you try taking a character to pinnacle without 1) cheating and 2) deleting within a month. Until then STFU.

2 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Is m1co still banned? We could triple the playerbase if we let him back in.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject:

We don't actually ban m1co. We just let wear himself out complaining in IRC. I have a bunch of cool phrases typed up ready to use when he shows up again next year

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject:

Hahaha

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject:

Dav: Actually yes, that's really the better way to put it. I'm not saying I have the solution by any means, just pointing it out.

One thing I will say is that the questor system overhaul is fantastic. I only did the beginning of the Xanthak quest that starts in Ofcol, but that was fantastic.

AR has a very rich lore, we are really shooting ourselves in the foot here by not exploring that more. There's all this stuff you can read about in the history but it doesn't really mean anything without context. Yes stuff like the DK guild only exists because of whoever and whatever event but it gets glossed over.

This is a fantasy game we can add whatever mechanic we want into the game without breaking immersion to tell the story.

Some of these quests require groups and I agree with that, this is a game and it should be social. That and also the chance of having your hunt session disrupted because of pk or whatever.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

that wasn't really helpful Vertas, do you have a suggestion

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

Building a coherent narrative is no easy task. We've been hacking away at that for years. Of course a decent single-player experience is important and necessary and must preface any concerns about a solid multi-player as well. I would even say it is an invalid design decision whenever we hurt the single player experience in favor of making something require multiplayer (like levelling above 35+ is like this for instance, but thats really old so I wont mess with it). As a multiplayer experience, which is what it seems we all think the game is best experienced as, I think its better to then view the game as a stage for the roleplay to happen on. I feel that its up to the players to decide and play their parts. We choose based on our knowledge and prior history so there's really no right answer to how to play it.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject:

For me the real source of joy (and occasionally frustration) was getting to know individual characters... Of course, players like Bladefurry who would rage delete and the large number of suicides disturbed me. Patience is always a virtue... I like building up a character from a concept, whatever suits my fancy, and watching them grow over time.

In fact, my best characters always had both rivals and allies...

Seliwyn was my first serious attempt. I did so many things wrong with her, somehow became a squire, but it was a bit of a shock for me to see Jerol mentoring her to be the best she could be when I was expecting total rejection from the Knights.

Beljia, she dealt with some of Ozaru's characters (the time one of them killed Valox and she listed that as an achievement certainly made Valox a bit unhappy). She also had enemies in Legion, friends among the Knights (especially Airelyn, one of deadzero's best characters), an adopted daughter (Andrael), a husband (Jaux), and as far as I could tell a unique interaction with Zytota, a thief who otherwise acted like a monkey but chose to not fight her.

Kaeralin, well I loved playing her... I distinctly recall the frustration I had interactions with Varro (Kaeralin did love him or at least what he represented), yet how I admired his ability to stick to his character despite my attempts to remove a mask.

Morgolta, well she was a dark elf. By the end, her relationship with Trelovyn had completely flipped... In fact, he helped her pick up the Ring of Radiance from Vlad's dungeon, a very symbolic move as there was once a time he had threatened to hellstream her for being in his presence.

Honestly, I liked it even when I came in to see 20 players online during the summertime (2010). People move on, grow up, forget, or simply find other pastimes. I only play two games regularly now, and I came back here while I was in a limbo stage and decided I was willing to forgive people for past imagined wrongs.

Also, I remember posting a "Death of the Realms?" thing on invokation to troll people as Narcana. This is not original.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

Ozaru you suck, never responded to my proposition years ago.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject:

what are you talking about?

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject:

Would you be open to players suggestions for stuff? Stuff like the fell/abyssal invasion was just amazing and something I had never encountered at that point, it satisfies both rp and pk elements.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject:

the window for these changes needed to be 5 to 7 years ago when i begged for it to happen

but the cranky old imm staff said warlords had no place and keepers were fine, monks were broken and over powered, we should open vamps to more people they said no you had to have a level 30 dkn for a year and bring back druids and psi's

Oh look 7 years later we have most of that shit but no one is playing anymore too little too late

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: