Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 11 hours.

[2018 Q2] Unpopular opinion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: [2018 Q2] Unpopular opinion

The amount of rares available was initially intended for a significantly larger player base, it should be reduced to reflect the true amount of people who regularly and casually play the game.

Why this matters: players in AR are supposed to be significant compared to the NPCs in the world. We have a much larger pool of skills and spells and free will obviously. We also make up a substantially smaller portion of the inhabitants of the realm. Rares are the same way. They are called rare for a reason... because they are hard to come by and more powerful than other items. It’s to the point now where pretty much every fifty is decked out in rares, granted some of them more so than others but still...

I get it. it’s hard enough to get rares because of the lack of hunting parties available. I don’t know about this one... I haven’t been able to get in a really good group for months, but I constantly see people walking around with very high end winter rares so someone is still capable of finding decent groups...

What do you all think. Is the spirit of the intent for having rares met? Does it matter? Would this piss off the player base?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject:

AFAIK there is an algorithm involved in managing the number of rares available in Serin that is directly tied to the current size of the pbase.

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject:

you guys are just copying and pasting each others complaints at this point right? it has to be...

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject:

from my game knowledge, the majority of equipment comes from groups formed via in-game relationships. If you want a group the easy way is to align yourself with one of the existing groups. Usually these are based on cabal affiliation. You can almost always get into them by joining a cabal, a coterie, or becoming a duke count or patron

There are several players who OOC group and we know who they are. When they get caught for a rule breach or RP violation the punishment is accordingly harsher. But this is my problem and the problem of other immortals, from your POV it doesn't matter whether or not the guy got decked out due to OOC. He is nothing but a loot pinata to you.

I expect new players to be completely unable to get a suit of rares via questing and exploring. Your primary way of acquiring pimp eq as a noob is to kill or vulture the loot pinata. Or use the auction house, or gamble.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject:

Hey vertas, i believe this issue will be solved slowly as it becomes common for 50s to use the lazarus pit and apply augmentations at the fireforge, which seems unknown atm

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject:

I think Augment is a kind way to introduce professions. That's what I think.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

Augment is Imbue on a smaller scale, or random gear on a much smaller scale. So when you are deciding this what is the conversation like?

"Let's make it this way, then it'll probably change. Let them figure it out."

Is this due to a disconnect because the people coding do not play and are unaware of what is going on?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

Augment was introduced into the game in the battlezone revamp, which if you think about it, was a really long time ago.

Whether I should have given fanfare to augment is a judgment call. Do I give spoilers to the area or do I let people go in and explore it and find out. I figured if people were soloing more nowadays, they would be interested in exploring and they would be rewarded for their work when they just find the instruction manual in the enclave. It was a "cant please them all, so might as well please yourself" kind of decision. Its an old change now, and I think it'd be a good idea to just gather facts and write up a crafting post at this point. I think we need to give some stuff to explorers first.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

I'm not quite sure how I feel about thar response. I'll wait for others to reply before I say anything. Let's see who is paying attention, and who is not.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

I have the impression that's new content, but new to me is anything made in the last 3 or so years.

It is not because the people coding don't play, but you have to remember that the people coding are very different player types and our domains do not overlap very much. All the immortals work on very different parts of the game, and different things are important to us.

For example, I was a very strong proponent of the idea behind this feature and have never used it and probably never will. But I'll sure hang out down there. Since I never get eq from hard areas I never will have any spare equipment. Anything I take needs to be immediately worn or destroyed in case I get ganked, to prevent the owner from reclaiming it.

The most important part of AR is that there is always crazy shit you can do to bypass challenges. You are never forced to kill the boss, there is always another way. You should never have the defeated feeling you get from an MMORPG when there is a pull of aggro mobs you have no chance of defeating or bypassing, where the developers go way out of their way to stop you from using your brain. Here there is always a back door, always a secret, and always something hideously OP you can exploit to become the number 1 badass. So, we can never tell you guys everything up front.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

looking at the change log it's kind of shameful actually, I only have tiny little bugfixes compared to pages of actual maintenance and features dav and olyn do

Olyn did the Minotaur April Fools Day, <3

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

That's about all your good for

0 1
boo,
Nycticora

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

nuh-uh I eat people and that is a very important function

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I believe there are quite a few people who know about augmenting, but only a few who take the time.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

I tried augmenting briefly, and I thought it was a waste of time for how I used it. But I have barely dabbled into it or coaxed out its secrets...

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

lol took me about 15 prismatics to get my +1 Dex I was going for on the tiamat gloves I had lol. I dunno. it was badass when I finally got it. but seeing +10 mv or garbage like that was kind of depressing when you think about the crap I shardded. I personally don't think there is enough Rares. if the right person.gets the right set. it's going to take at least 2 of you in similar equipment to take them down. I feel that if you lower the rare numbers any more than they are, you won't be able to compete with the decked, like that vampire shredding that 2v1. lol could you imagine that if both of them were in just malicious beast or something.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Da fuck is augmenting? I have no idea what this is.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

there is a "fireforge" that you can shard magical Rares into shards. there is a level system from _____shard to prismatic shard (I can't remember the lower ones) with these you can augment Rares with a random stat. I have never seen hit or dam. but I have seen move. mana. hp and all the main stats. the lesser shards have a chance at blowing up the item up.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

WTF this is news to me. We need like an out of the loop forum of some sort where updates get posted so when people quit or I inevitably stop being able to play, they (we) can come back and see what I missed. Oh wait, we have the updates forum, why is this not in the updates forum. This, the Lazarus put, some weird place you can fight monsters for medals please enlighten me?!?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

no the trials deal is in Seringale west of the park on South road. Augment can be found at Lazarus Pit (high tower) or beyond battlezone first sector. Took 36 prismatics to get a full set of TT without dex penalties btw.

And you're asking me to check the facts. Save yourselves the headache and get it right the first time.

0 0 0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: