Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

[2018 Q2] Unpopular opinion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arunore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject:

Actually I think you can only Augment at Fireforge, which is in the Battlezone. You can shard at either locations.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

wasn't in the updates forum because it was a secret Vertas

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Well, thats annoying. Here's why I disagree with that - specifically, it being a secret. Which I think is also Arunore's concern?

If you look at the way we executed our battlezone rework, it was hyped and talked about for months. We put the augment instruction manual inside the most trivially accessible rooms, i.e. queen selendriels bookcase. There is not a single mob to kill. It was very obvious and easy to find for anyone who had been to battlezone before since the bookcase didnt' exist there for the previous 15 years. I'm pretty sure that's where you request angelic from so anyone with even the slightest motivation to check what changed in battlezone, would've gone over to see if she had anything new. If youre the type of player who prefers to just sit back and watch identifies flow into the codex (seems smart), or have no interest at all in looking over a new area, maybe that's the only way you would NOT stand a chance in hell of discovey of augment. And by the way, there is A LOT MORE cooler shit in battlezone than just that. its also probably been in the mystique or something. If you were looking for a "out of the loop" guide, I'd start with those

The fireforge, in our lore, is the obvious birthplace of Durindel the sword of flame, I would think if you had even just walked into the room without the manual, you would still have a hint that this place is really something special. . IT was very heavily hinted. Very much so. I feel it is ok to expect players to explore the realms and discover very obvious things about these areas, like for instance, you do not need a helpfile to tell you farmer griff sells ducks do you. you would have to literally ignore the update or wrongly assume it was superficial and not explore past the first couple rooms for what changd in my opinion
we have arboran flying upside down crucified on a burning cross. It changed.

0 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Ive done a lot of research on forums and helpfiles to amass as much knowledge as possible in order to compete with regulars here, but this is the first time I hear anything about what Davairus and others just mentioned.

This is an awesome feature! Wish I'd known this before, you guys should really promote such unique stuff more. This is cool.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

We promoted this one through hype about the new Battlezone. If you didn't check it out, it's on you. We don't spoon feed everything.

0 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, wasn't around during those times, didn't even know that battlezone is a new zone.

It's my lack of exploration I suppose.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

I think the change happened during a short hiatus, aside from the several times I’ve quit on purpose (hasn’t happened since like 2008?) it’s been involuntary due to work load/conditions
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Youre welcome to play the game however you want. I just got triggered by stuff being called secret when I felt I'd done it respecfullly. But I know that people feel differently about that, and I can see why. The thing I can see we could do differently is just only build those kind of systems into Seringale because it gives an advantage which is arguably unfair. Like the Grimforge Mountain. If youre going to have an area in the game where you can forge badass equipment, having it require a hike to reach sucks. So maybe we should just keep all our crafting to our existing Seringale vendors and leave the hikes to the material gathering. We can move the Grimforge anvil to the blacksmith in seringale and we can move the fireforge to the weapon store and it matches up with the witch having a cauldron already

0 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject:

that would be very common MMORPG-like approach - have all crafters in town and let people go for farming outside of town (e.g. where's dangerous)

but for special kind of crafting, the forge should exist in a relatively hard-to-reach place. But probably only when you have like basic crafts in town already.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject:

I think that’s a great idea actually
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject:

I prefer having the unique cool things spread out where they give additional value to areas a little farther from Seringale, but I see the convenience of having all the crafting close together.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject:

anything that isn't in helpfiles is a secret imho

Battlezone is one of the dark and terrifying areas where stuff that kills you lives. Players who are afraid of dying won't explore the area with those characters they're afraid of dying on.

Lots of players play AR not to kill, but to survive. It's much harder to survive than it is to kill.

The thing that usually incentivizes me to explore new areas is that there is a guy I can't kill who has pimp eq that I want and I need to lure him into a trap. So I scout new areas to find elements I can exploit to kill other players.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject:

I don't even see anything wrong with how it was implemented or introduced through the area. That's great. I do not like how universal it is, I think it should be a practiced, legit profession and it should condone successes and failures, and it shouldn't be easy. I think the game has gotten way too easy, but rightfully so from a biased vet opinion.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like you are saying things are fine and then they're way too easy at the same time. What are you trying to say? Tayyah just told you he had to sink 20 prismatics for a point of dex. That means a chance is 5%. That's as barely tolerable as can be. Is it because it was too easy to collect prismatics?
Would you prefer to see combining shards to cost people relics unless druids using a transmute skill or something? So that you have your failable "class profession" involved in that.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject:

Failable? It's your idea I'm extending off of. I'm done throwing out ideas if you're just going to be an asshole about it.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject:

where the fuck did that come from

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

Its not a huge surprise to me. Its a child-like reactionary tantrum complete with threats and verbal abuse. He's been puking that toxicity out at me once every couple months or so. The outbursts have been useful on the logboards because they do highlight important issues, and we have the conversation format so they die out. I don't think uproar works well on our forum though. Seems very draining here. Derails useful discussion and looks very much like a power move.

0 0 0
Arunore

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

You're antagonizing, with subtle jabs because you refuse to listen to reason. Where are the other Immortals speaking up? It is just you and Nycticora, granted I have grew a half-ounce of respect for Nyc these days and think he's doing a damn good job.

It's because the other Immortals grew up with me for 16 years playing this game and I'd like to think we all know a little something from time to time to try and help make this place grow, and I know I have been an asshole, and I know you went through a divorce, so lets drop the dick measuring contest we're all human. I'd like to start having fun again, and I think I could offer some solid ideas if you would just listen or let me build for you. So please Dave, just let me help. If it is no good so be it, tell me so I'm not blowing smoke. Otherwise use me like you did with NW sylvan vale room desc's and deity helpfiles, just get off my nuts.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

A) Projection. Its when you accuse somebody of doing the thing that you are doing. In this case, its going to be YOU who are refusing to listen to reason. Everybody on earth does this. You'll be doing it now and you'll continue through the rest of this response, because it goes hand in hand with denial. Not only do I listen to reason but I also observe and listen to how people are feeling and try to feel the experience they are having. That doesn't mean I wouldnt still shit on somebody when they've fucked up.

B) Speaking of subtle jabs. Consider that's you being a complete paranoid fuck? Maybe when I said "failable skill", I just meant you could lose mana trying like with enchant weapon. Does this kind of thought even cross through your narrow mind before you jump on worst possible conclusions? Note that if I was the kind of person who wanted to make subtle jabs, I wouldnt call you a paranoid fuck outright would I. I'm confident I could say you have an active imagination and you would perceive it as if I called you a paranoid fuck at this point.

C) Also, quite the opposite of a "subtle jab". Bringing up me being divorced is a lame attempt to try to discredit me, and disregard all facts. It was a 17 year long relationship, longer than all of the time you ever spent playing AR. Have you had a successful 17 year long relationship? Back when marriage was concepted, people didn't even live long enough to be married that long. I have a divorce, it isnt what defines me. It was almost four years ago, and a period of immense difficulty and personal growth, that looking back on I feel grateful about. I think what you are looking for here is drag me down to your level, where everyone else in your world is a piece of shit but you can be the best shit person in the world as long as you remain in denial of your own CLEAR abusiveness to others being a problem. I will eventually become abusive when someones gotten me angry for some good reasons repeatedly

D) Uproar betrays the truth. Ever notice this? If you tell someone about themselves that isn't really true, they don't get upset, they kinda go like 'eh.. thats not right'. There's no reason to get wound up about what's false. Its when they react, when you're pissing them off, and when they're like, "HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT TO ME", that's when you're onto something. It puts their denial state of being in jeopardy. And youre doing that back at me a lot. that tells me a lot about you. You have been throwing tantrums and I guarantee you everybody will agree no matter how strongly you believe otherwise, just as soon as I link the posts and underline the angry threats you are making at me. They are tantrums.

E) You're bearing resentment about writing descriptions and helpfiles. That's the best thing you could think of to bring up? That was the great wrong that has been done on you. Writing some goddamn room descs in the elf valley. You want me to be all logical and reasonable here, well logic and reason is tell me I ought to laugh in your face for this. There are many people who enjoy that stuff, and would consider it REWARDING to do. If you don't enjoy that, then you shouldn't have agreed to fucking do it then. I'd rather just do it myself or find someone else and spare everybody the negativity. Nobody held a gun to your head. Stop playing the victim.

F) You seem to have a bit of respect for Nycticora for some reason. I've noticed people regard him well. I don't disagree. What you are missing is that the rest of the Immortals, who you do not see posting as you say, have all been serving Immortals for a very long number of years and have put in a lot of hard work, and are more than deserving of everyones respect, and I think its fucking sad for the most part, seeing them leave because players like you just get them so fed up. 16 years of growth? More like 16 years of bullshit. Next time you're throwing a tantrum at me I'm going to tell you to just go fuck yourself. Want to know the secret to having a long-serving Immortal staff? Do the opposite of what you do

Last edited by Davairus on Sun May 13, 2018 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total

1 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

I found a book about Fireforge, just laying on the ground, but before I got to read it I died and got looted. Really curious about figuring out what you guys were talking about (prismatic shards, +1 dex, forging) - how to gain more information or perhaps find a new book?

0 0 0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: