Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "The Assault on Taekir" is beginning in 1 day, 7 hours.

Player names...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Player names...

So, what do I do if I see a questionable name besides report it in-game? I have seen at least three names since returning which caught my eye...

They were as follows:

Kayn (alternate spelling of Kain or Cain, and also the name of a champion in League of Legends who was released within the last year);

Iori (okay, this one is probably more obscure... The King of Fighters series of video games has a person named Iori Yigami, but that's probably of Asian roots because one of the other characters in the game, K' has a name translates to "K dash");

Weiss (it's the German word for "white" and also a surname of German, Austrian, and/or Swiss origin);

Weiss is currently a paladin Justice applicant. Iori is a member of the Mystic coterie... I am not sure if Kayn still plays.

Is it true that more than one person has to complain about a name for it to get changed?

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject:

Keep reporting them in game.

I'd never know about the second one you mentioned, personally. So reports like that might help. The first one I know I REALLY wanted to change since it's also from another popular online game, but never see/saw the character again. The third I recall thinking it was an odd name, googled it, and didn't get anything worthwhile that stood out. It's unfortunate when terrible names get through, but we don't know every name ever used in a game/book/movie/language/etc.. Just reports like that would help us sort them out. Most the really bad names either get caught, or they don't login much/ever again. Others are people likely trying to test us or maybe even just coincidence.

Sometimes names like the second one are just that, but I'm guessing it's not. I just knew nothing about it myself. I know I typically just take any name I ever use from the name generator on creation. So there is always a chance I might end up with one from another piece of work. I'd want someone to report it, so it doesn't drive a player crazy when they read it. But if it was a month after I created it, made a bit of a name for myself, and THEN someone complained, and that work wasn't obvious, I'd probably have an issue with it.

So... let me adjust my first sentence: Report them in game as soon as you can.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject:

Yes.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:

haha sounds like nobody told Weiss why he wasn't getting inducted

the rule isn't that more than one person has to complain, the rule is that at least one person has to be bothered

I won't proactively rename people that aren't bothering me, but will if I see a report. I just haven't noticed your report while he was also online

if you have a herald or mystic, feel free to tell people their shitty names might be offending the gods and that's why they can't get inducted into a cabal

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject:

It sucks you've had this experience with seeing bad names. Having your immersion broken can really throw you out of the game and interrupts that escape from reality that AR is supposed to be.

Unfortunately this isn't a problem the Imms are well-equipped to solve. It requires more a large scale group effort. More people playing AR who chose decent names, means the bad eggs are statistically less significant.

I'm sure plenty of us have experienced some trouble with picking a name at the stat roller. Its one of the hardest things when coding as well, figuring out whats a good name for shit. It can cause undue future misery. The easiest way to deal with shitty names is to send an ISSUE describing exactly what guideline in HELP NAME was disobeyed, and from there do your best to just ignore them. For those of us struggling to pick a good name, the naming conventions provided in the stat roller are very solid, there are plenty of randomized suggestions, and the Imms will be happy to let you know if you ASK US if that name is not really valid.

Some people are just determined to pick a stupid name on purpose and we discourage those by forcing a rename on them, but that process requires babysitting so its slow. I've been thinking of just going back to the challenge fatality deny I used to do. I dont think the names mentioned were players deliberately doing that.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

I don't like the anime and video game names, these guys ought to know that's going to bother people who are trying to roleplay their dudes. Like yeah they might pick those accidentally but at some point the problem is on your end for not bothering to type it into a web search to see there's pages of cringy character art. I've done that shit myself in the past to make people think my dudes were being played by someone else (who sucks)

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: